SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
queentasha

New house, new kitchen... what to do?

queentasha
15 years ago

Hi all. I'm fairly new here. I've been browsing for a little while but now that we just bought a new home, I'll be posting more. :) I need some advice about my new kitchen. There are so many different element. The granite countertop is black and white. The floor is grey. The backsplash is taupe. The cupboards are white. The paint is yellow.

Immediately I dislike the yellow paint and the granite colours. I don't like the floor either but I have small children so I think I may just leave it and change it in a few years when they're older. I do like the backsplash and the cupboards.

I can't decide what to do to pull this kitchen together. The yellow is carried throughout the main floor and it's just too sunny for my taste, I definitely will have to paint. I'd love to hear some suggestions and ideas to help me pull this kitchen together!

Thanks so much!

Comments (35)

• astridh
    15 years ago

To my eye, the gray of the countertop, gray tiles, and yellow wall are okay with the cabinets. The taupe back splash is okay with the cabinets. To me, the big clash is the gray family of granite/tile with the taupe of the back splash. The yellow paint doesn't go with the taupe, either. None of the elements is bad on its own, but together they make a bad combination. You could get a cohesive look by simply replacing the back splash and painting. The back splash is easier and cheaper to change than the counter top. Unfortunately, that taupe is what you like. Is there any taupe in the floor tile, or is it all a cool gray? Can you post close-ups of the granite and the tile? Can't make any specific suggestions until you tell us what colors you do like. You are lucky you got some nice cabinets to work with.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I'm with you on liking the cabinets and backsplash, but not the counter (can't tell about floor, but it looks OK to me). Unfortunately, astridh is right that it would be lots cheaper to change the backsplash...and the paint, of course. I think that a new backsplash and paint, that work with the granite, rather than against it, will tone down the counters and it won't be so wild looking.

• Related Discussions

NO idea what to do with kitchen in new house

Q

Comments (1)
    I think it just needs something to ground it. If you had a nice medium color wood floor I think it would appear more grounded and warmer. If that's too much work or not in the budget, maybe just paint the island a medium dark neutral (brown, grey, etc.). If it's the wall color that bothers you, try playing with that. It's hard to suggest a wall color when I don't know what the rest of the house is painted in. The FIRST thing I wuold do is to change out the hardware. You would probably get more opinions on the Conversations side. Good luck and keep us posted! Congratulations on your house and your baby! I know what nesting feels like and can empathize with you, however don't stress about it now. It won't be the end of the world if you can't get the kitchen done in time, just take care of yourself and get the rest you need now!!
    ...See More

I am in my new house, my new kitchen... BUT...

Q

Comments (17)
    One way to handle putting an old self into a larger new kitchen is to draw a smaller old kitchen inside of it. All those things that used to live in the den? Or the basement? Or on the high shelves of the kids' closets? Those are still your least used things. It's great to be able to store them in the kitchen now, but you don't want to have the Christmas dishes and turkey roaster and martini glasses between you and the action. As much as you can, put the stuff you use the most away first, and do it in the tightest workflow area you can, best at point of use, designing your point of use at the closest comfortable place to the previous and next steps in the cooking process. If there's room leftover in your working path--like whole empty shelves or drawers, you can put in some of the least used stuff that makes sense in that location (roaster in the cooking zone, etc.) and put the rest of the overage in the more outlying areas, pantry, wherever isn't blocking you from using your kitchen efficiently. I think Buehl has winter dishes in her dish area because there was room (and she has a very efficient kitchen), but if you can tighten up your workspace by putting the Christmas china out, do it! And swap it in at Christmas time, if you use it all day for a month.
    ...See More

Harriet's New House, New Kitchen - Ikea cabinet smell?

Q

Comments (7)
    I was just at Ikea today looking at kitchen cabinets with the intention of buying them for my kitchen. i could not help but notice a strong odor in every cabinet that I opened In the store. i believe the smell is emanating from the sides of the cabinet boxes which are constructed of particle board and glue and resin. The smell escapes from the holes drilled in the sides. I think the smell will continue to out gas for years. ikea is supposedly CARB2 and EPA compliant , I must say, it gives me pause. and it is for this reason that I won’t buy Ikea cabinets. i don’t want to pay thousands of dollars to introduce a chemical smell into my house.
    ...See More

New house, need new furniture. What layout do I use for fam room?

Q

Comments (13)
    how many people usually use the room? and do you prefer to sit straight or to lounge? if you mostly prefer to sit straight...and it's your main living space in the house where guests of different ages come etc..push the sofa closer to the window..(since the bookshelf is not staying)..two armchairs facing: one, the TV, another, the sofa..kinda angled, like they're having a conversation, you know? the coffee table gets to be in the middle.and you can add a side table between the chairs. maybe something round, so not everything gets to be rectangular etc. I'd definitely put TV lower either on a console ot over the console. in this scenario TV stays where it is but you get a) much better viewing angle b) storage c) simply nicely composed space. It can still swivel so you don't loose that function. The console should be longer than the TV. If the mirror stays over the sofa it needs to be lower. The rules of art and mirror placement change when they are over the furniture..they should relate to the said furniture. There are guidelines, but generally you can eyeball it ..if it looks good then it's good. If strongly prefer to lounge..then instead of sofa you can get a sectional with corner part under the window. You might be able to put a chair on the other side of the coffee table, depending on how big or small the chair is..you don't want to cramp it too much. If no space for a chair-consider switching your coffee table for an ottoman (don't match exactly to a sectional). can serve as a coffee table very easily if you have a tray on it. But can also be used for additional sitting if you have company..especially kids love these. You can have a side table on one or both sides of the sectional, depending how much space you'll have. I'd definitely add some lights. A table lamp. Or a floor lamp. These are food for specific tasks like reading or mending; they're also create pleasant ambient light. You're more in control of your lighting thus mood you want to create, and function you want to get depending on what you do, if you have different lights on diffrerent levels. I love your curtains and floors and a rug..and a dog..:) It will be a very cozy room
    ...See More
  • footballmom
    15 years ago

I like everything but the counter and the paint. I would also like to see a different light fixture in the kitchen. While it might be cheaper to change the backsplash, I like it with your cabinets and floor. There ares some fabulous white kitchens in the FKB. Look those over and see what gives you inspiration. It really does help to see some great kitchens with some of the same elements you have and see what others have done to change out just a few things that they didn't like.

• queentasha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the replies! Unfortunately I don't have any close up photos as we haven't officially moved into the house yet but I will be going back later this week to take measurements and more photos. I can show you a different angle that shows all the contrasting features.

I agree, separately they are all nice but together they are just a mess. They JUST put that granite countertop down so it feels wasteful to tear it down but I really don't like it. I really don't like the black and white speckles.

I guess there are two scenarios, both include painting.

1. Replace the backsplash and leave the countertop. What kind of backsplash? Subway tiles were suggested by a friend (my HB isn't a fan of subway tiles) ... any suggestions? And paint colour?

2. replace the countertop and keep the backsplash. I was thinking about replacing it with quartz. But what colour when I have a taupe backsplash and grey floor. And paint colour?

I can't seem to wrap my head around the best way to pull this kitchen together! Thanks so much for the advice thus far. :o)

• scootermom
    15 years ago

When I first saw the kitchen, my first thought (without reading) was that you should change the backsplash, paint the walls red, and add some black stools, and a few more stainless accessories.

But red is a pretty dramatic color -- not for everybody -- and you'd have to consider carefully how you'd tie that in to the adjacent rooms. Also I am not known for my good decorating taste :-) :-) so you should take any decorating advice from me w/ a big grain of salt.

Those thoughts occurred to me last week because I visited a friend who had remodeled her kitchen. She had kept her white apps and cabs, but got new granite countertops, painted the walls red. It looked really stunning. She had the red paint in her living room, too, which was brightened up a little with more white cabinetry and crown molding.

Does the taupe of the existing backsplash suit your tastes and style better? Does it go better w/ the house? There are some nice earthy colors (mixed up browns/greys) of quartz out there...one of those might tie in nicely w/ your floors and backsplash. If you visit DuPont's web site, they have a room designer tool to play with...you can choose a kitchen, make the cabinets white, choose different shades of quartz that you like, and then choose different paint colors for the walls. That might help you. I just tried white cabs, Heartthrob Red paint, and a black speckly counter, and it looked good. But you can also experiment w/ all of the taupe/brown colors, too!

• susanilz5
    15 years ago

I think tthe granite counter top is just fine. It's also VERY expensive to change it, so I would work with it. The taupe backsplash does not compliment the counter. The paint color and back splash are the least expensive things to change, so I would focus on those two items. Live in the kitchen for awhile before making any major decisions.

• susan4664
    15 years ago

They really did a poor job of matching tones. Instead of warm tones OR cool tones, they mish-mashed them together!

The countertop is the biggest culprit. Your eyes are immediately drawn to that busy black and white pattern. If you replaced the countertop with a taupe/brown, something a bit darker than the backsplash, I think it would help the cabinets and beautiful backsplash really pop. Although the floor isn't quite right, you said you can live with it temporarily and change it later. That sounds like a good plan. The paint, of course can easily be changed. I would wait until you pick your granite, then choose a light coordinating color.

• phoggie
    15 years ago

Although the backsplash is lovely, it just does not go with the countertop. How about replacing it with stainless steel square tiles or doing something in black..and use red accessories? I'll be watching because I think I am going to do a white kitchen also.

• kren_pa
    15 years ago

hi queent,
    love the cabinets and kitchen in general. very pretty! i see what you mean, it looks like three different people chose backsplash, counter, floor. the cheapest thing to change would be paint and backsplash. remove the tile and paint the backsplash, the same as the walls. maybe even a nice bluegray... the floor is really not attractive...all the tiles pointing exactly the same way...can you put an indoor outdoor rug down? choose a color to match the paint you pick. the counter is the most expensive to change, but i like it. i would give some of the other changes a chance before shelling out thousands of dollars for a new counter... it is definitely speckly though....let me guess you are not a dalmation owner?? good luck kren

• Jean Popowitz
    15 years ago

If you replace the countertops, you'll have to replace the floor too. The grey and taupe just don't mix well. The easiest fix would be to remove the backsplash, patch the wall & paint all the walls until you can redo the rest. On a positive note, almost any color (other than beige/taupe/browns) go with grey & white--red, green & blue in particular. Some rich tans could work.

Looking on the bright side--you have lovely cabinets and a functional space. WAY more than many of us are starting out with!!!

• eandhl
    15 years ago

If you post this in the "Decorating forum" there are some very talented and helpful people that can photoshop a different counter or a different backsplash so you can get more ideas.

• natesgramma
    15 years ago

This is probably a far out idea but...is it possible to add a white beadboard type panel over the tile and trim out the edges? I don't know how that would work behind the stove but it might be simple and least expensive.

I also agree, check out the decorator forum. The more ideas the better.

• queentasha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone! I cross posted it in the Decorating Forum for help on paint colours. I actually like the idea of painting the backsplash black and using a red paint. But it's just not 'us'. I really like it, but it's not us... does that make any sense, lol.

I did a quick mock up in Paint just to see what it might look like, and it's fun and modern... and very not us. Well, I think we're fun and modern but this isn't our style. Anyone ever chose a style that wasn't them?

I think I might buy the BM software to be able to swap out paint colours and test different ones out. I don't have any software that can do that!

Also, the house is all open concept so I don't know how I could pull that off with the other rooms. Everything is currently yellow ... which has to change. But I'm lost about how to change it.

Thanks again for all your advice!

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

I would keep the countertop unless you have money left over from your purchase that you just feel like you don't need! :)
    I would replace the backsplash with either subways (perfect IMO), stainless steel or remove and paint. Beadboard also a good idea.

This is your cheapest option until your ready to change the floor and counter. You never know after a while you might learn to love it.

What are the colors in your house (furniture)? Would a greyish green work? Something like BM Dried Basil.

Besides, you say you like the backsplash. I'm not sure you can replace the granite without damaging the backsplash.

• astridh
    15 years ago

It sounds as though you want your home to have warm earthy tones. If so, I don't see how you will get that look with the granite and floor tile you have. I think they are both "cold" looking, and think it will be hard to achieve a warm, cozy look without replacing them. Maybe you could keep the tile and go for a gray-blue color scheme?

How far the does the tile go? Is it just the kitchen, or more? I don't think the tile is very attractive, and I don't really understand the argument "I have small children so I'll change it later". If your true desire is a wood floor, pets, high heels, and water cause much more damage than children do. If you want a different tile, why wait? If you want to save money, maybe you could put a laminate right on top of the tile.

If you plan to be in the house for a long time, think first about how you would ideally want it to look. Then, figure about how close you can realistically get.

• queentasha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The tile goes into the dinette, and the other direction right to the front door. My Great Room also has a grey carpet and the living room is part grey carpet, part tile.

My argument about the children stems from our current house - they ride their toys all around, spill things, drop things, their friends all run around like little maniacs... I don't want to always be worried about damage to the floors, I just want to let them be kids and have fun and then I'll change the flooring later.

I don't have pets, don't wear heels, and don't plan on putting a swimming pool on the flooring so right now kids are the main source of destruction in my life.

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

Unless you want a major kitchen remodel now, I would just do the backsplash. I saw your other pics on the decorating forum (lovely house...I love the columns). Replace the backsplash with something neutral and then paint whatever color you love. or a couple of colors. I spent $600 for my subways with installation.
    If you replace the granite, you'll have to replace the backsplash. Then you'll hate the floors. Then you won't like the grey carpet because it doesn't match your warm tones. And like somebody mentioned earlier, that's not even talking new sink, faucet and hardware.

Once you remove the taupe tiles and repaint, the granite won't stand out so much.

• queentasha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That makes a lot of sense. It will hold us over for a couple of years. astridh is right in that we like warm and earthy tones. But perhaps we can achieve those in the bedrooms and the rest of the house so that the black/white kitchen effect doesn't seem so prominent. If we have a nice cozy space in the bedroom, I can live with a kitchen countertop and floor that I don't love. :)

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

Another idea is chocolate brown backsplash. Lite milk chocolate right before it turns into burnt seina. Dunno that I'm trustworthy about decoration. Seems to tie the floor and makes the gray counter a bit more acceptable.

• biner
    15 years ago

Personally I like the counter and cabs but not the floor or backsplash. i would keep the counters, forget a backsplash as you have 4" granite already, paint and splurge on the floor. Here's a quick idea. many paint options too. (First time embedding photo-cross your fingers)

• che1sea
    15 years ago

I like biner's pic, was going to suggest grey for the walls myself. I think whenever you decide to replace the floors, the wood keeps it from being too cold. Also a properly finished wood floor will hold up to kids very well. Ours has seen a lot of abuse from our 2 year old and is still going strong.
    I also like our tung oil finish, if he ever manages to mess up a spot I can fix that spot with out refinishing the whole floor.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

A gray/green color on the walls would bring in an earthy element while staying with the cool tones you already have.

Personally, I'd be very tempted to go country in a fun way with the kitchen to give it a bunch of personality. You've got good base elements for that.

Agreed with everyone: either the backsplash or the floor and counter would have to go.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

There's not much I can add on the debate of change floors/countertops. Kids do dictate our decision making process so we go from there. I had one new thought... did you consider a multi slate for a backsplash? It is both earthy and natural yet has the grey tones. It should help warm up your space with competing with the cool tones. You can go as inexpensive as picking one up stock from HD or Lowes to ordering one of the beautiful patterns available that incorporate glass.

• live_wire_oak
    15 years ago

Black and white kitchens are a classic. So, except for the taupe backsplash tile, you have a good beginning for a classic type of kitchen. I personally think the yellow works quite well, and is warm and earthy, but if you don't like it, then think about using one of the other primary colors with the black (grey) and white. Maybe red, maybe blue. Or maybe just a different shade of yellow would be more "you". How about a deep gold? Almost 1970's harvest gold. You could do 3/4 white glass mosaic tile as a backsplash and incporporate greys, blacks, and a bit of gold every now and then with 50% of the blend being white. That would give you enough color without shouting.

Or, you could try for a French bistro look with that granite and the white cabinets. A french blue on the walls with red accessories and maybe a few chickens. A black and white mini check for the back splash tile and some toile prints in black and white for fabric accents. A black and white check oilcloth for the floor would be a simple and inexpensive project that would have a big impact in a positive way. Edge it in red or the french blue. An over the top outrageous chandelier over the breakfast bar would add character. Maybe murano glass, maybe very elaborate black iron, maybe chickens. LOL!

Or, you could go really more modern, with a very grey wall with a touch of green to it and use virtually the same tone in a glass tile backsplash or painted glass backsplash. Remove the 4" backsplash for sure with this option. Some black modern wavy type pulls would bring it together. Pick a glass and stainless halogen "octopus" type pendant for lighting and stainless sculptural bar stools.

What I'm saying is that the backsplash is the easiest and cheapest non team player to replace at this point. Followed by paint. It's gonna cost big bucks for flooring or countertops, so work with those until you are ready for a whole house remodel.

• phoggie
    15 years ago

I know you definately do not like the black and red...but I thought it was stunning.....but I agree with another poster that the gray would look great and just do not put up a backsplash...maybe some white subway behind the stove if you need protection there. Gray and blue are "cool" colors but I think the other ideas would be great too...the yellow walls did give it a bit of warmth...but that taupe backsplash just doesn't fit the look you are wanting....good luck

• susanilz5
    15 years ago

I clipped this old post concerning the elements that go with "taupe" & sand (beige). It's really helped me.

Taupe 'hates'...old thread (Follow-Up #7)
    posted by: anntique on 06.05.2006 at 08:14 am in Home Decorating Forum

That was a great thread. I saved the Sand loves/hates part too, and thought you might want to see that again too:

SAND
    Sand loves:
    1. The ease of cream
    2. The sharpness of white
    3. Rich colored woods such as oak
    4. Yellowy natural linens
    5. Stones that contain beige, like beige limestones
    6. Metals such as bronze or virdigris
    7. The companionship of caramel toffee and rust
    8. Earthy accents of bronze or pearl
    9. A touch of orange

Sand hates:
    1. The pinkiness of taupe
    2. Metals like steel and aluminum
    3. Stones that contain blue such as scala blue
    limestone
    4. Woods that have pink tone such as cherry
    5. Accesssories in bold colors
    6. Too much black

Taupe Loves
    - Pure white paint
    - Dark stained wood
    - Purple undertoned natural linens
    - Stones that contain grey or blue
    - Metals such as silver, chrome and stainless steel
    - The companionship of grey or brown
    - Dramatic accents of green, purple or red
    - Clear glass

Taupe Hates
    - Anything that contains yellow, such as buttery paint
    - Golden woods, such as oak
    - Yellow-hued linens
    - Tan leathers
    - Stones that contain beige
    - Accessories that hint at yellow, such as dark cream porcelain

• biner
    15 years ago

If you're worried about kids and floor how abour wood laminate. Cheap, tough and easy to install. We have laminate in our rental property and have had tenants with kids and dogs for over 5 years. Not a mark! You can get your dream floor later on, have a great looking kitchen for the price of paint and laminate floor. The grays and wood sound lie they may work with the rest of your house. I agree with Chelsea though, that a good wood floor withstands alot. We have compressed vetical stranded bamboo-tough as nails!

• joanie_b
    15 years ago

I'm a lemons/lemonade kind of chick.
    I think you have the bones of a great, classic b&w kitchen.
    Working with what you have, I think you could have a beautiful kitchen. Think Ballards style.
    Like others have said, the easiest fix would be to remove the backspash and paint.
    Use the backsplash as a display area.
    Add some black iron accessories and change the hardware out to black iron as well.
    I fell in love with this look and it inspired me to do a guestroom - not done yet - but would look just as wonderful in an elegant kitchen.
    The color paint I chose is Martha Stewart's Anjou Pear from Lowes. It's a clearer, lighter green than the one in the pics but the feeling is the same. Even DH loves the color (and he's fussy).
    Just some ideas for inspiration....

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• queentasha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmm, I didn't think I would, but I do like that colour green. We are very anti green, but that shade is really nice. I need to figure out how to change paint colours on my walls, I was thinking about buying the BM software so I can change wall colours... that green is so fresh!

• biner
    15 years ago

not anjou but gives you an idea

• scootermom
    15 years ago

I like the gray walls, the red ones (without the black tile, though...just paint or do white subway), and the green too (if you turn it down a notch).

Would love to learn how you guys do it with the paint and the wood flooring in the photos!!

queentasha, paint is your friend!! You could do something very nice, quite easily. Have fun!

• yanalg
    15 years ago

after seeing the 2nd photo posted by the OP, I think it is the counter that has to go. Everything else blends in very nicely and is very attractive. Cabinets, floors and the backsplash that the OP likes go well with each other and just about any other paint color that has been already suggested. The counter top to me just doesn't belong with the white cabinets. Frankly, i don't see it belonging with any kitchen cabinets... sorry :(

However, apart from the cabinets and possibly the floor, counter top is the most expensive thing to replace, and it is not the place you want to spend money on after just moving into a new residence.

maybe you could sell current counter top on craig's list and get some money to fund the new countertop?

good luck.

• phoggie
    15 years ago

I can certanly see why you chose the granite you did...it is white, gray with some black (or so it seems in the pic). Since it is expensive, I would never get rid of it...you can find ways of keeping it and working around it. I liked the grey...you can always throw in some red or yellow accessories to brighten it up. I know you are terribly disappointed...things just look so good on a sample board, but different when the entire room is complete. Let us know what you decide....and good luck and God bless.

• yanalg
    15 years ago

phoggie, the OP just bought this house so the kitchen was done by the previous owners.

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

I really like the gray/white; blue-gray/white; green/gray/white ideas as well as classic black and white kitchen. Considering that you might be able to tackle the backsplash as a DIY project, it would also be your cheapest bet. However, you WOULD be sinking SOME time and money into traveling in a direction don't really want to go in the first place. If your ULTIMATE goal is warmer, and you don't anticipate having the money for a large scale redo in just a few years, you might not want to invest more time and money in this color scheme. Even if it is not alot, if you really don't like it, it is still time and money spent that could have been used towards your goal of a warmer space, if that indeed is what you would most like.

This is going to sound like treason to many here, and I don't know that I would go this route, but you could get rid of the counter for an inexpensive laminate countertop. I swore I did not want laminate again, but if your personal taste is such that you would be embracing a style totally foreign to your personality, it could be done, and it is kid friendly. A laminate countertop in a warm color to coordinate with the backsplash, paint and a large center rug, as well as maybe a couple of coordinating rugs in front of the sink and stove would take you there. You could replace the floor in just a few years or sooner if you decide to go with another inexpensive vinyl until the kids are quite a bit older, and not have to tackle a complete kitchen redo for some time.

Then the gray in the other rooms could be next in your list of improvements. You can cover tile with wall to wall carpeting or laminate inexpensively and change carpeting to another color much cheaper than than hardwood installation. There have been a lot of recent offers for almost free installation of carpeting (199.00 whole house installation I saw at HD recently) and those will probably continue for a while until the economy picks up some and so does business.

Just another way to go. It depends if this gray color scheme is ok enough with you that you can comfortably live with it a few years or more. If yes, great. If not, don't throw good money into it only to decide that you really just can't tolerate it.

Sue