SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buehl

Ikea Kicthen Owners - Need "wear and tear" experience!

Buehl
10 years ago

(*Ouch! I can't believe I spelled Kitchen wrong in the subject!!)

Some of you may remember that a couple of years ago we worked on a layout for my mother's kitchen. At the time, she decided she didn't want to continue, so I dropped the subject - even though many of us here had spent hours on a layout. But, I know my mother and to pursue it would not been a good idea.

At the time, I had suggested IKEA cabinets b/c she was on a tight budget, but she had dismissed them b/c she wanted all wood.

Fast forward to today and the remodel is back on! Her budget is 10K, maximum, and that includes replacing the kitchen floor (vinyl right now) with, maybe, engineered wood as well as the hallway that spans the length of the house.

I again mentioned IKEA and she was a little more open, but then my sister agreed with me and she is now considering it more seriously. However, she is worried about the metal drawers. She's afraid they will quickly get scratched up and she doesn't want that. So....all you IKEA owners out there....

How long have you had your IKEA cabinets?

Are the drawer interiors becoming scratched? If not, did you do anything to prevent it?

Those that used IKEA doors as well....how are they holding up? (I recommended she get Scherr's doors if she wants wood if her budget allows. If not, then I recommended she start w/the IKEA doors and later upgrade to Scherr's doors at a later time.)

Any feedback on wear & tear of IKEA cabinets and drawers especially?

Thanks in advance everyone!!

This post was edited by buehl on Sun, May 19, 13 at 23:16

Comments (13)