SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Sometimes thing come right...

plllog
14 years ago

It seems like so many people are having problems just now that I thought I'd post a resolution. The floor has been full of delays. First, between when the tile man would be at liberty and when he would be out of town, we added a week to the overall schedule, then it took awhile to get a tile count to place the order, then there was another few days he needed to finish his previous job that turned into a whole week's delay. None of which is the problem! He's great and always communicates and the GC works it out.

But the tiles, themselves, were delayed by a week. No biggie, right? We had a week's delay built in. And it turned out to be more, because the floor was so out of level it needed to be fixed. So they called in the guys who do this, who just happened to have a hole in their calendar the following day, and came and pumped and leveled the floor. Which needed a couple of days to cure. So, that was eating up the tile delay, right? WRONG!!!!

That same afternoon as the levelling I got a message from the store. They weren't going to deliver one of the tile sizes that day. They were going to put it into production!!!! They wouldn't be here until June 10th!!! WHAT???? Other than some minor hysteria over dust (something that one expects with construction) things have been going quite well. Well, I started to lose it. Really lose it.

Luckily, my GC is a gem and doesn't get flustered by things he can't change, he just gets to work fixing it. And the guy at the store is also lovely, and he was on it. They both made a lot of phone calls, and found out that, at least by the next day, there were enough of my tiles ready. On the other side of the country. I was willing to overnight if need be (which is actually 2 day), but that would have been awfully expensive. Turns out the local distributor had a truck in the area of the tiles, and by a miracle of people thinking it was as important to get them here as we do, they got them on the truck! So they'll be here Tuesday. Which saves the tile man from coming on the weekend to do the second layer of anti-fracture membrane, which he was going to do to put us back on schedule given the time taken from the levelling....

So, without the evil eye or angry fairies or the grim disdain of fickle fate, we should only be a day off from where we had to be with the levelling anyway.

PHEW!!

Comments (7)