SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nessie1020

lowes cab sale--- plus a new diy angle-this is good!

nessie1020
14 years ago

Lowes has a repeat of their March sale, where you would get a $500 gift card when ordering 10 special order cabs, with a $250 bonus if APC. Greater number of cabs/bigger gift card. I went in yesterday for a KD appt and a quote, the least expensive Kraftmaid door was $6K, the one I realy like, Carrington Maple Miter was $12K.

The Carrington full overlay door style is a newer one for Kraftmaid, I think, which has a heavy routed line 1.5 inches in from the door edge, which results in the door resembling an inset door style. Kraftmaid has also taken this concept one step farther by including little fake hinges on one side of the heavy routed line, so it looks more like an inset door.

The KD pointed out to me that the only difference in the 2 quotes was the door style. This started my wheels spinning and I wondered if anyone ever just got the cheapest Kraftmaid door style and then switched out the doors with ones from Conestoga or Scherrs! Conestoga door Mirage is the same as the Carrington design, so I could get the Kraftmaid cheapos and swap the doors! I doubt that this could possibly cost the extra $6K Kraftmaid wants for them. The possibility made me heady with excitement!!

We have been planning a remodel for several years now and I am getting rather impatient, having moved from a totally renovated kitchen to a disaster (condo) galley kitchen.

I have researched RTA's online but never could get a real firm idea of what it would cost b/c I did not have an actual design, hence the trip to Lowes. I want to price out the difference between the Kraftmaid boxes/drawers and Conestoga and Scherrs RTA's and possibly others and see if it is worth the price difference to assemble them ourselves.

It may be cost effective to buy the Kraftmaid cheapo door cabs intending to swap out for Conestoga pre-finished ones in a coordinating shade.

This idea may be interesting for a few recent posters who are considering RTA's from Scherrs or Ikea with Scherr doors. Obviously the Kraftmaid chapos would be more $$ than Ikeas but the construction is different and also the hasssle of assembling would be eliminated. I will give an update when I get the quotes on the Scherrs and Conestoga RTA's.

Sources for Conestoga Wood doors are Cabinetmakes' Choice and the Cabinet Authority in CT and Kitchen Cabinet Systems in PA, and Northern Granite and Cabinetry.

Comments (3)