SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annkh_nd

Is your kitchen a joint effort?

annkh_nd
10 years ago

In so many posts here (including my own), folks refer to "my" kitchen, and how "I chose this or that", yet most of us live with other people.

I'm curious how much of that is simplicity of posting (it's easier to type "my" than "our"), or if one person in the family takes charge of most of the planning and decisions, so it is more "my" project than "ours".

In our case, even though my DH is the primary cook in our family, I spearheaded the kitchen remodel, drew up the plans, initially met with the cabinetmaker, researched the options. DH mostly listens politely and agrees with whatever I come up with. I feel obligated to include him in the decisions, but usually it doesn't happen until I've narrowed down the choices to 2 or 3. I think he has figured out (after 26 years of marriage) that it's the fastest way to shut me up!

So how about the rest of you who share a home? Does one person do most of the work/make most of the decisions? Or is it a joint effort? Do you find that you agree about things, or is it a struggle?

Comments (54)