SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
morgne_gw

Gardenwebs Moral Perogative... and perjorative?

morgne
12 years ago

Hello!

Several days ago I called a fellow poster "an idiot" and told that poster that if he read the posts more completely he could avoid "looking like an ass".

I recieved this email from GW a few minutes ago:

"PLEASE INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING LINE IN ANY RESPONSE:GardenWeb mail response mc18354051142392123ec rosa

This reminder is being sent in regards to the message entitled "RE: Would you put undercounter heat on your island if you could?" posted by you to the Kitchens forum at ths.gardenweb.com. If you have a problem with another user, please do not post to the forum about it, but rather send an email to: webmaster@gardenweb.com Please read over the description and instructions found on each forum as well as the user agreement.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/trans/agree.html If you are unsure which of your postings this is in reference to, please reread this email. If it was sent in error, you may ignore it. There is no need to reply to this email. Thank you for participating in the forums and we hope you will take this reminder in the spirit in which it is given! Thanks!"

Now, it's possible by not reporting that posters comments as please-fill-in-the-blank at some previous point I was in breach of please-fill-in-another-blank in the user agreement. Frankly, I don't know. You see, I've never read the user agreement.

I repeat, I've never read *GASP* the user agreement. So I don't know exactly what rule of the user agreement I've broken. Perhaps it's the use of the word idiot? Frankly, I felt my comment was pretty tame. Barely school yard name calling. As a site by and for adults I wouldn't have expected it to be an issue.

I've taken a good look at GW over the past days because of this email, particularly in light of several OTHER emails I got because of that particular post. You see, a number of other members contacted me privately via my posted email to thank me for having said something to that poster because they didn't want to be the one to speak up. It really makes you think, doesn't it? When people are worried about speaking up to defend themselves for ANY reason and then the "guidance" of the site reinforces that fear and concern by chastising us.

I don't know if this is the type of site that GW is striving to become. Is this level of micromanaging a good idea? A bad one? I don't know. Do I want the site to be bogged down with endless name calling and etc? No. But do I want to be treated as an adult? Yes.

The post I've been called to account for died shortly after my comments with the final one being from the poster I called an idiot and which I ignored. That was almost 3 days ago? I believe. It is now on page 4 on GW. Why is this an issue, particularly now?

If there had been some immediate intervention that would at least made SOME sense. Someone might have thought that we would start a prolonged yelling session (though I'm not sure why that would have been a big issue either) so would be trying to nip it in the bud. But several days later?

I'm not a member of many online forums, and not particularly predisposed to calling people idiots either, but this is definitely the first time I've been given a warning over it.

Does this seem weird to anyone else?

Comments (26)

• kellied
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Why would you call anyone an idiot in the first place?

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

Its a "friendly reminder" and these things are parceled out sometimes when a moderator feels that there is something contentious going on in a thread (or that went on in a thread). They are not applied consistently.

• warmfridge
    12 years ago

I don't recall your post and it's since been deleted, so this is a response to your questions above.

''Idiot'' and ''ass'' are rude. I don't know you, but I doubt you would use those terms in a face-to-face conversation with a casual acquaintance. I don't see why anyone would think s/he should be less courteous to someone in an internet conversation. There's a human being on the receiving end of those insults.

Name-calling rarely serves any useful purpose in furthering a discussion. One's point can be made in polite terms just as easily.

Most sites have some sort of user agreement, which specifies the terms by which the site can be used. If someone doesn't agree, s/he is free to go elsewhere.

Since your warning apparently appeared several days after your post, I would guess that someone reported you and it took several days for the GW administrators to check out the complaint.

If you or anyone want to engage in ''schoolyard name calling,'' then go to a schoolyard. Or don't. Most people don't want their children to learn such ill manners.

Just my opinions, which I hope were politely expressed. Anyone is free to disagree.

So much for the recent thread deploring snarky behavior.

• morgne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kellied,

I called him an idiot because I thought he was being an idiot.

It really was just that simple. I also thought he was giving someone dangerous advice that could actively hurt someone.

However, I'm not debating that people shouldn't call someone an idiot. I gladly admit that the best universe is the one where idiots can wander freely; Much like cattle on the range.

I am not defending my post. I'm just questioning the response to it.

• Gina_W
    12 years ago

As warmfridge said, someone reported it, then you got the warning, hence the delay in action. These forums are not actively moderated - last I knew, only one person in charge of thousands of daily posts. So they depend on the honor system and on user reports of bad behavior, spam, abuse, etc.

• morgne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Warmfride,

I'm glad for your post. For reference, here is that thread:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg051142392123.html?52

My insults happen near the bottom.

I absolutely agree with you that I was rude. Absolutely agree. In fact, in this case, I wasn't accidentally rude. It was absolutely deliberate.

You are right that I wouldn't call someone an idiot that I was having a conversation with but an arguement? Maybe.

So your thoughts are that any rudeness at all, no matter what level, would make their response acceptable? Isn't it pretty reasonable to expect a group of adults to be able to handle or respond to rudeness on their own?

After all, when someone offends someone here we often see groups of people playing defense. Did that happen here? No. I'm thinking that the community itself was pretty self policing in this case.

What do you think?

• caryscott
    12 years ago

Morgne,

I think you got it right, truth is an absolute defense. Big Brother? What are you going to do?

• SBkitch
    12 years ago

Warmfridge: couldn't agree more!

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

Everyone will on occasion be annoyed by other posters. But everyone has different criteria for these assessments, too (it's neither here nor there, but I for instance do not find Poster X particularly irritating and found your response to him rude rather than a relief).

If we all vented our spleen at will, it would be quite an unpleasant place to visit. Nobody is asking posters to refrain from "defending themselves" as you put it, but because we're all articulate adults I assume we are all able to respond to what we perceive as unwarranted claims/undue negativity/irritating posts without resorting to name calling.

Moderation at GardenWeb is indeed a bit random and arbitrary. Then again, it's a free forum and we're not paying for fair and timely arbitration. Participation is granted on the basis of agreeing to certain terms of service.

Honestly, I'd recommend just chalking it up to experience and moving along. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb terms of service

• morgne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Circus Peanut,

I'm glad for your comment. I agree that at will spleen venting would be a problem. :)

This is where I get weirded out by it:

When did adults lose the ability to self arbitrate? Yes, it's true. Name calling is negative. We are told that from childhood and it's an accurate statement. And yet, adults DO call names. That's part of what we do when we are upset.

I think of it like a party. I get into an arguement with someone I barely know and he says I don't know what I'm talking about and I say well yah but your an idiot. Not a graceful moment I'm sure. But the people at the party roll their eyes and offer me another beer and a tour of the back porch and it's a foolish incident, soon forgotten. When the other guy goes back for more later I blow it off and don't respond to him.

The same party but instead of letting the situation defuse as adults imagine the police called in. Or maybe a better assessment, the HOA - Home Owners Association. I get a form letter from them several days later. They've heard I used a negative word and that's not allowed here in this neighborhood.

What?

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

I do get where you're coming from, Morgne -- but I think ultimately the answer to "when did adults lose the ability to self-arbitrate?" is "when they are guests in someone else's home."

This isn't our house. It belongs to GardenWeb, and as hosts they can set whatever rules they choose. One might have philosophical differences with those rules, but by participating we have all agreed to abide by them.

• itsallaboutthefood
    12 years ago

I think you cannot compare an on-line forum with a live party. The normal social norms are easily forgotten when you are a mostly anonymous poster who is not looking anyone in the eye. So, forums like this set much more conservative rules to remind people to be polite. All in all, a form letter gently reminding you of the house rules and telling you to contact them if there is a problem, is really not very bad. Hardly the same as calling the police. I'd actually liken it to offering you a beer and a tour of the back porch.

• chicagoans
    12 years ago

ditto what circus peanut just said.

Morgne: "I think of it like a party. I get into an arguement with someone I barely know and he says I don't know what I'm talking about and I say well yah but your an idiot."
    If the party is at my house and you're drinking my wine and eating my food and then insult another one of my friends, I might ask you to leave or at least try to redirect you to another conversation in another room. So, the forum is someone else's house and the server space and "air time" and time spent moderating are the host's wine and food. We are the guests.

The great thing about a party, or a forum, is you can walk away (literally or virtually) from someone you consider an idiot. Or you can respond, but maybe think of a more creative and less judgemental way to frame your response, thus rising above the idiocy you perceive in others.

Unlike a party conversation, responses online live on forever. To steal a line from The Social Network, "The Internet is written in ink, not pencil." To me that means we want to play nice.

• morgne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I agree with you, Circuspeanut. In fact, your answer is why I haven't and don't plan on arguing with GW about it. Because you're right. It's their house.

And as several others have pointed out someone here probably complained and then GW had to look at the post and verify a name was called, and then by their own rules of etc had to send an email telling me not to. It didn't have much to do with anything. Just following the rules.

I'm not upset I got the email. I'm really not. If that is how GW deals then it's how GW deals.

Your thought is that adults lose the ability to self-arbitrate "when they are guests in someone else's home". I think it's a good answer but I fear that we are ALWAYS in someone else's home. If we meet at the park must an official be called to keep us from coming to blows?

I dunno. Maybe there are no good answers to this. SIGH. I appreciate your sharing your perspective.

It seems like basically what's being said is that GW members appreciate GW stepping in for them to keep the other people on the forum in line for them.

It's interesting to hear. Thanks!

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

I'm curious if any insults set off moderators, or if maybe they have a tracker on swear words. Maybe @$$ set off an alarm. And while I don't condone name calling - surely there's always a better way to phrase things - I can see how one would resort to name calling to make a point in the case of safety.

''It seems like basically what's being said is that GW members appreciate GW stepping in for them to keep the other people on the forum in line for them.''

I don't know that they're saying the appreciate GW stepping in for them (though that may be the case), so much as they accept GW's right to do so.

• kateskouros
    12 years ago

if i got my panties all twisted into a wad and made the mistake of calling someone an idiot, along with other rude comments i wouldn't come back and cry foul for being called on it.

if other members choose to contact you privately to congratulate you for "speaking up" that's their business. contrary to what you may believe this doesn't justify bad form or grant you special permission to chastise other posters who you yourself have deemed inadequate.

i've been here for more years than i care to count and have never read the user agreement either. but i can guess i wouldn't be doing myself or anyone else any favors by behaving badly.

so to answer your question, no. i don't find it "weird" that you received an email from a moderator. but i do wonder why you ask.

• aliris19
    12 years ago

itsallaboutthefood => nicely put.

FWIW (in the what's GW's plan dept.), I got called on the carpet for waxing on about the religiousness of Salvation Army. The topic was where do you give things away and I was trying to point out that they were a far cry from non-secular. GW nixed the comment as "political".

They've been tolerant of recent economic discussions, however.

Morgne - I'm sure it will annoy you to hear this (because (a) it's facile, (b) you know it already and (c) it's critical of you), but you will be more effective in transferring your annoyance and alarm at a potentially dangerous saying by staying away from controversial words. What happens is you swing focus on your language rather than the content of your words. Like it or not, you do hurt feelings with mean words, and you do offend some; others are just embarrassed and divert their eyes/attention. Still others are defensive and let nothing in - in the end it's just inefficient and counterproductive.

As well as unpleasant and impatient.

We all say stupid things some of the time, perhaps all of the time. Best to say nothing at all or if safety is really a concern, then zero in on that so as not to lose the message.

And let me please take this opportunity to assure you that I love reading your posts -- almost always! Fortunately I missed the "idiot" one; that would have bothered me. But in general, I personally think you sound very wise and knowledgeable and helpful. I hope you'll actually just turn this around and become even more wise and more helpful and more knowledgeable! Thank you for your participation.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I read this thread and have 2 main responses.

1. There should be no need to chastise adults for name calling, because as adults, we should refrain from name calling. Simple.

2. By reposting a link to that thread, you not only show no understanding that your calling names lessens people's respect for you, but you also show that you have not understood that doing so, in effect, calls the name all over again. You want people to trust your judgement on one hand but then show another lapse of judgement.

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

"''It seems like basically what's being said is that GW members appreciate GW stepping in for them to keep the other people on the forum in line for them.''

I don't know that they're saying the appreciate GW stepping in for them (though that may be the case), so much as they accept GW's right to do so."

Exactly. I should have rephrased your question, Morgne: adults lose their right to self-arbitrate when they demonstrate their inability to self-regulate. Name-calling is one of those instances.

It's not our burden as forum members to socialize one another - that's not why we're here. It's incumbent on each of us alone to recognize when our adult behavior has slipped. If someone can't achieve that, well, that's where moderation steps in.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

The first post, starting the thread, shows an attitude that
    1.a.) does not repent or soften anything (unless we project that implicitly).
    1.b.) derides Gardenweb's administration.
    1.c.) wants to initiate discussion about an excerpt of the email received.
    And there is more.

After 36 minutes, three responses have been posted.

The next post from the OP, answering a rhetorical question, was used as an opening to show a little bad behavior all over again. ("ideally... idiots wander free" and once again "questioning" GW's response.) This could have been an opening to show a clearer new position, but instead it showed a will to maintain a hurtful side again.

The next new post from the OP, answering a detailed post, was an opening to show bad behavior all over again. Here the victim was identified clearly, and a case was made for crowd justice instead of GW direction.

The next new post from the OP, answering a detailed post, was an opening to bring up the analogy with someone being at a party. A defending argument for the approach adopted so far, not a change in any way.

Discussion about this analogy takes place. Three posts. About 30 minutes.

The next new post from the OP summarizes.

--

The next three responses deal with the thread starter post and its attitude. The thread goes quiet overnight. One more post comes in this morning. Now, my post.

--

Socially, we all have to take direction when it is given.

--

It may be that the thread starter composes thoughts all too quickly. One clue is the title line containing spelling mistakes and a pun that is hard to decipher. Perhaps write out a difficult response in another software first. Then copy and paste.

--

I shall now state for the record that many GW readers now know a great deal more about the coolness of a ton of stone than they ever wanted to know.

--

Hth

• caryscott
    12 years ago

Yawn.

• friedajune
    12 years ago

I find it interesting that the OP is defending his/her right to criticize however s/he wishes, as impulsively as s/he wishes, but is unsettled to be on the receiving end of criticism and disagreeing opinions. Teenagers do that all the time.

• friedajune
    12 years ago

The title line is bugging me, I can't help it. It's "pejorative". Spelling mistakes happen to everyone, no criticism intended.

• fraker
    12 years ago

Davidrol,
    Sometimes the classiest thing one can do is just keep his mouth shut.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

The spelling police missed that it is rightly spelt prerogative not perogative.
    Captain Obvious says "Your welcome!"
    I got that same friendly reminder about 3 years back when I commented that a Hot Topics forum whackjob had Borderline Personality Disorder. So sensitive!!!
    Casey

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Well, we're all sensitive to different things: *both* spelling mistakes bug me deeply! And truthfully, the GW hand-slap rankles, justified or no.

akchicago: yup. Got one of em teens myself: so maddeningly irrational! Drives you nuts. (it's basically impulsiveness; not taking the time to think through consequences, rational or otherwise).

Case in point...

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz