SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lithigin

Sad news. Vent hood is way too high.

lithigin
12 years ago

I have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach about this.

I came home from work and my beautiful Broan Evolution QP3330SS is installed, the ductwork is run through the cabinet above, and all looks good. Except that it is insanely high. 34" above the range top. And we're talking a 38-39" high range, since we will have ~38" finished height counters. DH and I are both 6'+ and can reach the controls, but I squatted down to mimic more typical height people and they could not reach the controls. Plus you're looking directly up into halogens and baffles.

I think what happened is that I measured for 30" height, the cab designer used her program to put a 12" cabinet above there (she mentioned that many hoods are ~9" tall), and when I picked the Evolution, I didn't take into account that it is only 7" tall. Even if I had, we'd still have 32" of height. So I don't know if her program mis-measured or what, but I double-checked all measurements but this one, and here we are.

Additionally, the hood sticks so much further out than OTRs and other crappy hoods we've had in the past that we can barely reach our arm over the front edge of the hood to even touch the cabinet doors, let alone use the cabinet. I have always kept baking stuff above ranges and now am regretting even having spent a few hundred on a cabinet up there! I bought it because it's a great hood and I'm sure it's deep in order to be great, but I didn't expect it to stick out so far.

My GC is coming back on Saturday to do some more stuff, so I'll talk to him about what our options are. DH suggested returning the hood (I think GC threw the box away; it's not in the garage) and buying a taller one. Even if we found a 9" one, I think 32" above a 38" range is too high. I'm hoping that he can uninstall it, add another 4" of ductwork, then put a filler piece up there and reinstall the hood. We'll still have a nearly unusable upper cabinet that was a waste, but we all need storage for cookie cutters and rarely used stuff, right? *sigh*

Thanks for letting me sad-vent. DH isn't mad, and he doesn't think it looks as ridiculous as I do. But c'mon, the hood starts 6' above the floor! Go ahead, you can laugh a little.

In related news, since we can't find the manual yet, does another Broan Evolution owner know how or if you can turn off the automatic night light? It's cool that it activates automatically when the room is dark, but I'd sure like to turn it off at night.

Here is a link that might be useful: pretty Broan hood

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath