SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenredo2_gw

Backsplash Tile for Soapstone Counters: Would You Pick This?

kitchenredo2
14 years ago

The cabinets are in. The soapstone is in. Now the dreaded backsplash decision.

My soapstone is blackish with quite a bit of veining.

My cabinets are cherry with a toffee stain (please excuse the construction dust and the unfinished floor).

My walls are SW Moderate White.

I found this tile I really like. It is 11.7" x 23". The color is a mixture of white and cream. The tile has texture to it - the lines are alternating concave and convex so when you run your hand across you feel the hills and valleys of the tile (I hope this makes sense). I will run the tiles so that the "lines" are horizontal. I was originally going to butt the tiles against each other, but I am beginning to reconsider since my DH isn't the neatest cook - especially when he heats up my red sauce. So I think I will give in and put the smallest grout lines (1/32) between the tiles.

Here is the tile:

I will be tiling the whole cook top wall and on either side of my sink. I will be installing a stainless chimney hood over the cook top. In both areas I don't need bull nose tile b/c the tile will butt up against either cabinets or the trim around the windows.

Here is the cook top wall:

What do you think? I know the tiles are large - will that look weird? Are they too boring? I don't want to go too drastic with the tile in case I decide to paint the room a different color in the future.

Thanks for your input!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville