SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alaskangirl_gw

Great White Alaskan Kitchen is Finished! PICS

alaskangirl
14 years ago

I am so glad I found this forum! This was my first kitchen I've ever designed, so you all were a TON of help. We started with a 1985 dungeon, knocked down some walls and soffits, rearranged the floorplan a bit, and took out an old fireplace and coat closet 'while we were at it.'

Here's where we started at the end of January:

And here's what I'm enjoying today:

DETAILS:

The old kitchen was about 12x12, and the new one is about 13x17. The island is just over 8 feet long, and 39 inches deep. We moved the sink window and enlarged it, added a walk-in pantry, and a soon-to-be computer nook with pass-thru to the kitchen. The fireplace was removed and then replaced, building it into the room and adding built-in cabinetry and surround sound. :) We installed oak flooring on the entire level. We had to have one support column where we removed a wall, so we just tricked it out a bit with moulding, and then added another 'fake' column on the wall by the stove.

Our biggest challenge - we live in a smaller town in Alaska, so getting the stuff I wanted was a bit of creativity, and a bit of compromise. Total construction time was about 8 weeks, during which we had over a month of -30 degree weather. We set up a great temporary kitchen at an old bar in the basement. Honestly, with the freezing weather, I missed my heated garage (filled with construction stuff), more than I missed my kitchen!

Sources:

Cabinets: Home Depot, American Woodmark, Savannah Maple Cream Glaze. These were a great deal with their 20% off sale. Oh, and we added all the detail to the island. I just went to the paint department and got some paint to match the cabinet door, then used it to paint our homemade picture frame mouldings and bracket. The island legs are actually stair balusters from Home Depot that were like 1/10th the price of buying them from the cabinet line. I also added nice baseboard trim at the bottom of the island. Knowing how well the stock trim painted up, I wish I had bought my crown moulding the same way, instead of buying the cabinet line one.

Hardware: Restoration Hardware for the pulls in Chrome, and Lowes for the Chrome knobs.

Appliances: all from Sears - fridge is Whirlpool Gold CD, DW is Bosch (it came out of the old kitchen, and we just replaced the outer panel to match the other SS colors.), 27" wall oven is Frigidaire, larger range is Jennair downdraft convection, Sharp 24 inch microwave drawer.

Countertop: Kashimir Gold granite (hides everything!!)

Pendant Lights: Pottery Barn Kids in Stainless Steel(I bought these discontinued ones on ebay, but they sell even nicer ones now.)

Backsplash: 1/2 inch polished marble mosaic (Marfel?)with standard white grout, bought at local tile place. Small bronze squares came from Home Depot. Chair rail came from Home Depot. Rope trim came from Lowes.

Faucet: Builder's grade one that I bought off ebay.

Valance on kitchen window: it's just fabric tacked up and scrunched with safety pins. Check out nestingplacenc.blogspot.com for instructions on this window 'mistreatment'. Awesome!

When the kitchen was first finished, I felt like I had overspent, and felt kind of sick. Now I find myself more comfortable. We just had our house re-appraised after the remodel, and it went up in value as much as we spent, so that made me feel better, at least on paper, right?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Slideshow of More Kitchen pictures

Comments (39)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH