SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncamy_gw

After seeing the cabinets I thought I want I'm disappointed.

ncamy
14 years ago

I just don't know what to say. I've had my heart set on quartersawn oak and had priced out Schuler cabinets from Lowes though I would have likely gone with Medallion through a local kitchen shop that my GC recommended. We are going to have to have several pieces made custom which I assume would be closer to the Medallion product line.

Well yesterday I went into a Lowes I had never been in and low and behold they had a quartersawn oak cabinet made up on display. At first glance it was pretty. The grain was nice. The color was right. But when I touched it, it just didn't feel right. It felt plasticy. I don't know maybe there was too much gloss on it or something. It just didn't have the old wood patina'd feel to it that I so want. I want to rub my hands across the wood and feel wood, not varnish.

What should I do? Compromise? What other lines should I consider? I told my husband that maybe we should find someone local to just build what we want. We went full custom/local cabinet maker last time and had problems, so we were trying to avoid that this time. We really wanted to just build our new kitchen with mostly stock pieces and sizes so that they can easily be replaced down the road if necessary. (The customizing we will be doing this round will be simple...things like adding pocket doors to a standard cabinet, so really no big deal.) Suggestions?

Comments (5)