SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annachosaknj6b

My dream kitchen is crumbling down around my head.

annachosaknj6b
12 years ago

So for those of you who read my post about having to add a soffit, here's the update. We had originally told the GC to build it out to a depth of 24" thinking we would recess the lights inside it and have it look something like this:

Palimpsest gave me good advice instead to only build it 12" deep, and I had decided to order a ModernAire barrel-shaped hood that's flat on the top for 12" and then curves outward to a total depth of 24". Perfect, right? And I was all excited about it. Our ceilings are 96" high, the soffit had to be at least 10", which put the 18" high hood at a tight but livable 32" above the range.

So I called the contractor this morning and told him I wanted to change it (and also told him about some electrical changes that weren't that big a deal).

Well of course, the electrician was there this morning and the crew spent the morning framing the soffit. To a depth of 24". So the GC yells at me about changing my mind every five minutes (this was after our big sink brouhaha). I told him I would go home and look at it and let him know in the morning.

I got home and the soffit is going to be even higher than he had told me before, so now the hood would be only 31" over the range. I could have ModernAire make it shorter but I'm afraid it will look truncated and stupid.

Plus I can't make up my mind on countertops and am having trouble visualizing all the other elements. Like I wanted a checkerboard floor...but I just can't commit to it because I'm afraid I'll hate it. I'm also afraid I'll regret NOT having done it.

This project is costing us a fortune and I feel as though nothing is going right with it. This was supposed to be my dream kitchen and at this point I feel like just throwing my hands up in the air and letting someone else--DH, the GC, the frickin PLUMBER, hell, I don't care--make all these decisions.

HELP.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor