SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
liriodendron_gw

Re Lodge 'pre-seasoned' cast iron cookware

liriodendron
13 years ago

I recently aquired a Lodge skillet w/ribs on the bottom. Overall I like cooking with it, but I am fussed about the so-called "pre-seasoning" which seems vile and greasy and more-importantly, I can't seem to get it off! I regularly use all kinds of cast iron pots, many from my great grandmother's kitchen so I'm used to cooking on them and cleaning them up, easily.

(Sorry to say, I am a hot-water-and-soap-every time cast iron washing heretic. But since my pots have been in constant daily use, and been cleaned like this for a century, I'm not worried about losing the "seasoning" by using soap. I rarely have to add any fat to my old pans, so I must be doing something right, even if it's "wrong".)

Anyhoo, the new pan is covered with some kind of coating that no amount of scrubbing (using soap, Dawn degreaser, scrubbies, brushes, even grill brushes) will remove.

Does anybody know what will get it off? Oven cleaner or electric/chemical bath? It's supposed to be "all-natural", and not like no-stick coatings such as Teflon. I want it gone, ASAP.

My DH aloves his food with diagonal plaid grill stripes on it, so this pan gets a lot of use. I'm bugged by that surface nearly every day.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (18)