SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msl511

What can I do with 3" in a base cabinet?

msl511
10 years ago

I thought I posted this before, but I can't find it. Maybe I forgot to hit submit. Anyway, I apologize if I'm repeating myself.

For reasons described below, I'm going to have part of a run of cabinets that will be

wall-one leg of 36" corner cab-21" trash pull out-edge of sink

and I'm going to have an extra 3" in that run to do something with. I can't move the sink or the wall. I can't add 3" to the trash pull out because they come in fixed sizes. So far as I can tell, my only choices are

(1) add 3" to the leg of the corner cab
(2) do a 3" pull out like a spice pull out
(3) just put in a 3" filler piece

I suspect (1) will provide no particular value and will look stupid.

(3) kills me because no one likes wasted space and I don't think it will look great

I'm wondering if 3" is wide enough to do anything useful with (2). Spices will be somewhere else. I wouldn't find that a convenient place to store them.

Here's where the 3" is coming from. The location of the sink is fixed because it's centered under a window. The KD originally suggested a 42" sink base, mostly, I think, because of the problem I just described. If I reduce the sink base to 36", I have 6" to play with, 3" on either side of the sink. One side is the one I just described. The other side has a 24" drawer stack that I could happily increase to 27".

So, bigger sink base than I need? (I assume the counter can be cut to take a sink that really only requires a 36" base, so I'm not forced into a bigger sink than I want, but under the sink is not my first choice for the extra 6" of storage.) Or one of the less than satisfactory options for that extra 3" on the trash side of the sink, but happily making a drawer stack 3" wider?

Comments (10)