SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
viva99_gw

The Great Prep Sink Debate

14 years ago

Last week I asked for feedback on my layout, and aside from a handful of (greatly appreciated) responders, my post slipped to page 8 or so in a hurry. So I thought I'd try again, and this time zero in on the two or three areas where I'm waffling. For example, the prep sink.

Why I want a prep sink:

1) To create a single prepping/cooking station where most everything I need is within reach (otherwise I tend to get scattered and inefficient).

2) To avoid competing for sink space with a pile of dirty dishes while I'm prepping.

3) To eliminate the need for a second bowl at my main sink, a single (large-ish) bowl being my definite preference for cleaning.

4) It could double as a filtered water source for the table, and for guests.

5) Sprayer could double as a potfiller for the range.

Why I maybe shouldn't:

1) They eat up valuable counter space and under-counter cabinet space.

2) They require extra plumbing and fixtures (hence extra expense).

3) They discourage butcher block counter top in the prep area because of the constant presence of water.

4) they seem superfluous, and maybe even a little ridiculous, in a small to moderate-sized kitchen.

Assuming I can make peace with the above downsides, are there any I've left out? Any reason I would regret putting in a prep sink that I haven't thought of yet? Do you agree with me on the advantages outweighing the disadvantages?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

(PS -- note that based on feedback from last posting, I'll be turning the table 90 degrees so that bench is against half-wall, chairs are opposite, and I'll be scooting the main sink 3-4 inches further from the bend in the counter)

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County