SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
medha_nanal

Slightly OT: (xpost appl):Outdoor kitchen grill advice for dummy

homey_bird
13 years ago

Hi,

Cross posting from Appliances forum, and it seems my question is slightly off topic -- for outdoor kitchen grill. However, I've found most helpful information on this forum so far -- and therefore thought of posting the thread here.

We are in the market to buy an outdoor grill. This thread is not relative to which brand per se, but regarding how to pick the right grilling capacity/features for my lifestyle.

We are a family who will be grilling fillets and kabobs on the grill with chicken and seafood. However, even more frequently we would be throwing vegetables on this grill -- this I suspect will happen almost daily and with any and all vegetables we can find, since our family is almost vegetarian and loves veggies.

We will not do rotesserie or any other fancy type of grilling -- it's just not our lifestyle and we do not eat meat so much.

When I check out grills, I find that they throw numbers at you such as 4x13K BTU burners and stuff. I always wonder if there is a magic formula to determine how much BTU capacity I need, given that I grill veggies and relatively tender meats.

Can someone please help me figure this out? Also if there are any features that would be particularly useful or useless for my cooking, I'd appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Appliance forum posting

Comments (5)

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

I can't be of much help as far as BTU capacity goes but I do grill about 340 days out of the year, veggies always included. I have a basic Weber with 3 burners rated at 42K BTU. I have no clue what I'm getting or not getting from those specs. It has a thermometer front and center and I used meat thermometers until I became accustomed to it and was quickly able to determine veggie cook times. I brown rolls on it, make grilled cheese sandwiches for picky eaters. I think any reputable grille with decent reviews would suit your purpose.
    Features that work well for me:

Side burner- I make the butter sauce and pull clams off the grille as soon as they pop and dip/eat while I cook.

Swinging little baskets inside: Perfect size for asparagus, dinner rolls, etc, when all other grill space is in use.

Push start ignitor: This is SO important if you value your eye brows. The Weber I have now is the only Weber I've owned and the only push button ignitor that never quit on me. I've had mine for 8 years now.

Work space on the side: You can set your platters there while your transferring the grub.

Good luck!

• kaismom
    13 years ago

I have a Weber and DCS outdoor built in grill. They are both good grills. The price differential is pretty high.

Weber's have three separate burners that are controlled indepently that run across you. The DCS and other built in, ie Viking, have burner controls that are up and down as you stand in front of it, just like your indoor grill next to griddle on the range. This control is more intuitive to me. I can just tell myself that I have high heat on the left and low heat on the right and place food accordingly. I find it not as intuitive to say hot in the front and cooler in the back. YMMV.

Because of the grill arrrangement, the DCS and Viking (which I have also used) tend to have "cold" spots in between two sections of burners which Weber does not. Weber tends to have a cold section at one end, ones that I have used.

DCS and other higher end models have infrared ceramic burner built in on the top. This is very nice for rotisserie. You can use both upper infrared burner and the lower BBQ burners at the same time for some foods. Weber uses the lower BBQ burners for rotisserie. (There maybe newer Weber models that have infrared burners.)

• Linda Gomez
    13 years ago

Look for the features you want. I grill a lot of vegetables year round. I have a vegetable wok & a 12 x 16 vegetable cooker; they are black metal with small holes. I like the flat one better than the wok--it seems that only the veggies closest to the grill cook anyway. It fits 2-3 zucchini sliced or 2-3 chayotes (new grill favorite). Zucchini & summer squash do well cut in wedges also. Kabobs work great, but the tomatoes always fall off the ends. For chicken tenders (small pieces of skinless chicken breast) I like to line them up in a grilling basket and flip them all over at once after 8 minutes on a side; being next to each other keeps them from drying out on the sides. I like to nest shrimp together too--keeps them from dryng out. Pam makes a grilling spray that I use on the accessories.

That being said, look for the amount of square inches of surface area you want. Stay away from the Sam's Club grill--it's big and has a big $$$; the problem is that you can't get replacement parts and you end up with a big, shiny shell in a few years. For Char-broil or Sunbeam or any others, look at the literature to see if you can get replacement parts easily. The burner (thing with holes) fills up with grease, burns out, and you end up with an uneven hot spot. Watch to see if grease can fall into those holes in the first place. That's when you need to get replacement parts. Our most recent grill is a Ducane, but I think Weber bought them out less than 2 years ago.

I looked at my grill, but it doesn't list BTU's or anything. I prefer a shelf on the side & a side burner is something dh likes for tamales or fish soup. As far as timing goes, I have to get used to it for each grill--it must be a BTU thing--and how close the burner is to your food, and what high or low means...etc.

With fish, other than shark, tuna or mackeral, I usually wrap it in aluminum foil. Reynolds sells a "Release" foil that foods don't stick to. Highly recommend it for fish on the grill.

Oh, and fresh corn on the cob!! Can't wait: Take out the cornsilk; soak in water; then cook 10 minutes on each of 4 sides. By the last time, the shucks will catch on fire and some of the kernels will be slightly charred. Great in a black bean salsa!

HTH

• doonie
    13 years ago

still waters,

Do know the name/brand of your vegetable wok and veggie cooker? Sounds like just what I need for my outdoor grill. TIA

• Linda Gomez
    13 years ago

doonie: Sorry but there are no names on these cookers. I got one at a kitchen store & the other one was left by some tenants (one of my BEST gifts!). I saw them 2 years ago at Bed, Bath & Beyond with the seasonal stuff. You may want to check there.
    Sorry I didn't reply sooner--it started to pour--then our power went out for 2 hours!