SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ojs2005

Gray Kitchen Island / floor color / backsplash suggestions

ojs2005
14 years ago

We are renovating our kitchen -- it will be a u shaped kitchen (quite large - about 20 x 15) with a large island in the middle. I'm going to do white cabinets on the perimeter and all countertops in a granite that looks very similar to marble (light gray with darker gray veins called "white vermont"). I will have hardwood floors, which I'll probably do in medium walnut color (i can't do a very dark brown brown because the rest of my house has lighter floors, but i can pick the stain). Would love to get thoughts on the following (and thank you in advance!):

1. I want to set off the island cabinetry in a different color so it's not too sterile and was thinking of doing gray. should I do a very dark charcoal gray (like BM Anchor Gray or Iron Mountain) or a medium gray (like BM Trout Gray or Steel wool)? My concern is how this gray color will blend with the medium walnut brown floor color and stand out against the white cabinetry....and i'm not seeing a lot about painted gray cabinetry. Any thoughts/concerns with this floor/island color combo generally and any paint color suggestions?

2. I think I'm going to run the granite up the wall as backsplash. I will have a hearth area with a white wooden hood blending with the cabinetry and i may do a recessed shelf on this wall -- do you think it will be too monotonous to use the same granite also behind the stove within the hearth area, or should i use a different stone?

Thanks for your thoughts - i'm getting a little overwhelmed thinking about all these details!

Comment