SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
my3dogsii

My last two weekend paint projects - many pics

My3dogs ME zone 5A
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am now only a 2 dog mom. My sweet Joey had to unexpectedly be put down on 10/20 at the age of 8. This is Joey on the right, with his 'sister' Jenny on the loveseat in my office. My dogs are Brittanys.

That weekend, I needed something to get my mind off his passing. I decided to do a tribute to my Brit boy by doing something similar to the Union Jack flag I had seen on some blogs.

Before -

After, in my unfinished cellar (as we call them in Maine)-

I enjoyed that project, and it made me feel better, so this past weekend I did another. I have had this small old pine desk for 20+ years, and never did anything to it. I decided that I'd play with it, and like the result. Here is how it looked at the start -

I just sort of made it up as I went along, and this was the first step after staining the wood.

I liked the way that looked, and then did my first attempt at faux marbling for the top -

The almost final result (needs to be waxed) is this. I had a brass keyhole escutcheon that I put on for a bit of sparkle, and then added some antique gold on the leg turnings. The brass dots in the elongated diamonds on the sides are some upholstery tacks I had left from a small project to put a new leather seat on a CL chair.

Comments (50)

• jjam
    12 years ago

I'm speechless.

Those are some of the most beautiful painted pieces I've ever seen.

You are a woman of many talents, and continue to inspire us here.

So sorry for your loss.

• winchesterva
    12 years ago

WOW....those pieces are beautiful!!! Love the faux marble top.

• Related Discussions

My finished weekend projects

Q

Comments (9)
    Love your glow in the dark globe. I was wondering how well they look at night. Love your makeshift stand. Matches very well. I have seen the hummingbird "corks" and thought of making one out of a bottle too. Thanks for sharing the link! I love all your stained glass creations too!
    ...See More

More of my update from the weekend! with Pics

Q

Comments (11)
    I'm actually surprised, and maybe others can fill me in on this, how 10 minutes per zone is sufficient. Unless it's much different temp wise where you are, in MA, the top of my soil doesn't get sufficiently damp and stay damp for a decent amount of time without being watered for 30 minutes with my irrigation system. Even then, there is still a 1 1/2 - 2 hour period where the top feels barely damp or completely dry before it is watered again, only in mid morning and in the afternoon. I water from 3:30am - 6am and it's good until about 9 or 9:30 and then it starts feeling like it's drying out and I have to really concentrate on feeling dampness on the top of the soil. Then it goes off again at 11am, and by 2:00 or so, I can barely feel dampness. Then 4:00 it goes off and it stays damp right on through until the next watering at 3:30am.
    ...See More

winter project, many pics - new ebay & cl 1/2 bath

Q

Comments (48)
    Good morning, everyone! allison, The 1/2 bath might be considered a 'folly' down there! I do have a small area around it somewhat finished, but the rest of it will always be a spot to work on my many hobbies, like furniture refinishing, messy crafty stuff, you-name-it. I also have a doggie door in the opposite 'working' side of the cellar, that goes to a former garage under my office, which I made that into a wood working 'shop' years ago. Another doggie door in the shop takes them out to their fenced in area of the yard. The cellar and the shop are valuable real estate to me, just as they are. I do have 3 windows and a door with glass in that 'living' part of the cellar, as well as a wood stove, and an armoire with a TV it in. It's cozy in the winter with the stove, and cool in the summer and the couch down there is great for naps! These pics are of my former LR sofa down there and a 'reading' nook with big chair. Not much decorating has taken place yet! The door you see on the right in this pic is to the 1/2 bath. This is the reading nook which faces the wood stove. Being a dog lover, I got this original oil painting of a Springer from eBay for $21.49! His eyes are a perfect match to the Behr 'Cork' paint color. And this is Ikat fabric called Casbah, that I got at 1/2 price at Ballard Designs. I might make sill length panels for the 1/2 bath for fall and winter from it. The way it goes with that paisley wallpaper is the stuff that (my) dreams are made of. I'm happy to see so many paisley lovers here, as I have always been one, and I LOVE to mix patterns in a room, even a small one like this. I'm glad that others are inspired by my 're-cycled' bathroom! I'd never have done it if there hadn't been a rough one down there to start; but I just replaced that with one that even I'll use. No more storing tires and hoses in this one.
    ...See More

remember my bedroom project at weekend lake place?

Q

Comments (7)
    Thanks for your kind words. Lynn, the headboard is from Hillsdale - they seem to make a lot of metal headboards. I bought it at a local furniture store but I noticed they are all over the place online. I bought another Hillsdale metal headboard for a different bedroom that didn't have one. I think the white one is the Cherie model and the other one I got is called Bonita. Being the type that is overwhelmed by too many choices, including paint colors, I ended up just picking a color I'd already used at home - BM Crisp Khaki. Held the quilt up to it, it looked good, done. I think if I was retired and had more time I would get into doing this more. I kind of like painting - it's very gratifying when you're done.
    ...See More
  • cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

That desk looks wonderful. You are so talented.
    I love the faux marble top, you must tell us how
    you did it..
    Sorry for the loss of you beloved pooch.

• eriepatch
    12 years ago

I am so sorry for you loss. :(

Your talent continues to amaze. What a gift you have.
    Thanks for posting these pictures.

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

So sorry about Joey.

WOW you should be in business! Those are really remarkable pieces. I don't recall seeing painted furniture in other pics of your home. Was this your first time?

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Wow--what talent! They look "tremendous!"

• caminnc
    12 years ago

You're so talented!

So sorry to hear about your beautiful boy!!!

• leafy02
    12 years ago

So sorry about your Joey. It's never easy and when it's sudden, it's even harder to adjust, I think.

I couldn't see photos of the Union Jack, but the desk is amazing.I love that checkerboard effect-wow!

• rmkitchen
    12 years ago

Me too -- I'm so sorry about Joey, glad he got to spend his brief life with you, but sorry for the pain you and Jenny are surely feeling.

That's wonderful you were able to channel your feelings into such productive endeavors!

• zipdee
    12 years ago

I'm so, so sorry for the loss of your pup! Joey had a great home, with lots of love and I'm sure you miss him dearly.

Your projects are wonderful!

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

Oh, dear. I am so sorry about the passing of Joey. You and your other two dogs must be feeling so sad.

I am so impressed that you found a creative outlet in your time of grief, and even found a way to pay tribute to Joey through the project. That's incredible.

Speaking of incredible...your work surely is! I so love everything you did with those pieces of furniture. They are each amazing, beautiful and so well-done!

I hope in the days ahead you find solace and comfort. If you need to talk, I hope you know you have lots of friends here at GW who care about you! We'd be more than happy to listen.

Peace be with you.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all so much. I think Joey was channeling me to do a good job. Sam and Jenny stay right by my side, even more now than usual, so they were right with me as I worked on them.

I have painted furniture before, in solid colors and done some distressing, but these are my first two with 'designs'. I truly enjoyed the process, and the change it made to the two old pieces.

I like harlequins, and decided to try that, but with an old piece with nothing quite square or plumb, it was a bit of a PITA, doing the math to make sure they were close to being the same size. I wanted a 'naive' look, and got that by penciling in the lines with a ruler, and then painting within them by hand. They are on the sides as well, but this pic was taken before I did the elongated ones on the sides and added the brass tacks.

Joan, how I did the marbling was that I took pics of my upstairs bathroom marble vanity top, and set them next to me on my card table to get an idea of how the veining flowed. We had a snow storm this past weekend that knocked out TV, phone and internet, so my plan to follow some online instructions was thwarted.

I did use a glaze (Folk Art Glazing Medium 991) to thin the various grays I used (just those plastic bottles of acrylics from a craft store) and a few brushes to get the look that I did. The 'base coat' for the marbling is simply my slightly off-white interior trim paint!

These are the pictures I used, NOT that you see those exactly followed on the desk top.

I'd encourage anyone to try painting like this, as you can see what an incredible change you can bring to some very simple pieces of old furniture!

• lori316
    12 years ago

I saw this on a friend's FB page within the last day or so, touting her talented friend. Very true! (Sea Rose Cottage, maybe????) I was so surprised to see it here again!

If you don't at least supplement your career with this, you really should consider it. It would be very profitable, I'm sure. You have incredible talent.

• clubcracker
    12 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss. :( We have Newfies, my neighbor has a lovely Brit who runs circles around my dogs, such a sunny and happy personality she has.

Next, wow. What awesome projects. I am saving this thread for future inspiration!!!

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

I always get excited when I see you've posted a project. These are just beautiful.

I am so, so sorry about your losing your Joey, and at such a young age. How wonderful you're making beauty out of your grief.
    Dee

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lori! Yes, I hope Nancy of Sea Rose Cottage won't mind me saying that she has let me call her to buy some sample size jars of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint from her. I used the Old Ocher for the off-white base on the Union Jack cupboard, and I put a coat of Old White on the top of the desk, after staining it and realizing that the big knot in it and the water stain just couldn't be masked with stain. I found her in a 'stockists' list and then saw on her blog that she had some. I got brave and called and asked if I could order some and send her a check, and she has been great!

If I enjoy doing other pieces as much as I did these two, I will surely add it to the list of things that I hope will earn me a little money in my dotage! :-)

Clubcracker - I have had 6 Brittanys of my own, (3 at a time) and grew up with one in the house from the age of 5. They all have different personalities, but common among them is their love of their family and their energy! My Sam will be 12 in April, and people think he is half his age. He greets every day with a parade through the house honking a squeaky toy, with his head held high and his little tail wagging as fast as it will go. I have never seen a dog who is just so HAPPY all the time.

And little Jenny, who is approx 9 (she is from a shelter and I just am not sure) is the most loving, cuddly kid. She is a tiny Brit and looks and acts like a puppy. Both of them are coming to me frequently as I sit at my desk and work, and they put their front paws in my lap and lean against me to give and get some loving. I cannot imagine life without them, and they help so much with the loss of Joey.

• User
    12 years ago

My good friend had to have her dog put down suddenly Monday also. I am so sorry for your loss. She too has lost a long time, 11 yr, old , companion.

Your talent is just amazing. You really do have a gift and a very talented eye for the execution of your designs. c

• lori316
    12 years ago

My3dogs (see, with that name, Joey will always be with you :) ...

What a small world, huh? Nancy is great, ready to help anybody with anything, always willing to share ideas. I could sit and chat with her for hours...almost have! She does beautiful work also, and I swear she and I have competed on CL for local ugly furniture ;)

You have a great eye, and obviously tons of patience.

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

I am so very sorry for the loss of your sweet Joey! What a handsome boy he was, and I hope the many happy memories you surely have of him will bring you comfort.

As for your painting projects ... WOW, woman! You are one talented cookie. I just love both pieces, but especially the Union Jack cabinet. It's fabulous!

• franksmom_2010
    12 years ago

Wow! I just love them both, but that little desk is just a treasure! Very creative way to finish it, and it's just so charming now.

I'm so sorry about the loss of Joey. It's so hard when it's their time to go, but I hope you find some comfort in knowing that his best days were spent happily with you.

• teacats
    12 years ago

So very very sorry about your lovely dog .... and hugs to the other ones too ....

Love your painting projects -- you are so talented!

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

Your dogs are so beautiful and I enjoy your descriptions of their personalities. I'm sorry your lost your Joey. Your stories reminder me of my elderly neighbor who has a lifelong affection for English airedales starting from when he was a boy, but in his case all he has is one at a time. His name is Tom and his dog was always named Jerry. After he lost his last Jerry, he finally decided that was his last Jerry as he is getting too old. It's sad as he used to take daily neighborhood walks with Jerry; now he's no longer able to get out much.

As for your painting projects, just Wow! They are each so very different and unique. You have such a talent and I always eagerly look forward to reading about your latest projects.

• User
    12 years ago

I too am so sorry for your loss, what a beautiful boy he was. I feel your sadness as we too recently experienced the loss of a loved pet.

Great job on the pieces. I love your creativity and vision. There's no way I could have done something like that when we had to put Maui down. Amazing.

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

First off, I am so sorry about the loss of your sweet boy, Joey. Being a mom to my own furkids, Chloe and Ronin, I feel for your loss.

Secondly, I am really loving both your pieces. What fantastic work you've done on them!!! I especially love the design on the desk. Both are now truly pieces of art for your beautiful home.

And third . . . if you ever feel the need to get creative and run out of projects at your place, pleeeeease come to mine out here in New Mexico! I'll feed you and put you up and show you all around Santa Fe in exchange for some of your amazing reno talent. You really are an artist, M3Ds!
    Lynn

• abundantblessings
    12 years ago

So sorry to read about your precious Joey. It's always hard when we lose a beloved friend, but how wonderful that he brought joy for so many years. Hugs to you, Jenny & Sam.

You are so talented! Beautiful transformations.

• powermuffin
    12 years ago

Those pieces look just wonderful! I bet you had lots of fun doing them too.

You am so sorry about losing Joey. Our pets become such a happy part of our lives and we miss them terribly when they are gone. I am sure you will treasure the memories of Joey.
    Diane

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You have touched my heart and I'm sure Joey's with your kind thoughts on him. I'll admit to some tears while reading this post. He will always be a treasured member of the family, even if we can't cuddle with him any longer.

I've shown you this picture before, but it's one of the few I have with all three of them in one shot. Here's my boy on the left, with Jenny and Sam in front of the fireplace. I keep the house quite cool in the winter, and they love to gather around it for warmth on really cold days. We love and miss you, Joey!

• Pipdog
    12 years ago

awww, what a sweet photo. They are beautiful! I'm sure Joey will be missed. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

• Irish2
    12 years ago

I'm saddened to hear of your loss of Joey. Being an animal lover, and having lost my two boys, I can truly feel your heavy heart.
    The pieces you refinished are truly amazing!
    I keep scrolling back to admire all the details.

• yayagal
    12 years ago

Your work looks like McKenzie Childs work, you did an amazing job.

• texanjana
    12 years ago

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your precious Joey. You are one talented lady!

• jejvtr
    12 years ago

My3
    So very sorry about your loss - I'm sure joey had a good life filled with love from you and those other beautiful Brits he will be missed but never forgotten it's so hard losing a family member

As always I love that you open your doors for your gw friends
    And as always I am always I am awed by your talents, creativity,productivity and final products. Your home is a treasure trove of lots of love. God bless you and yours

• Sujafr
    12 years ago

I've been too busy to ck GW here for awhile and don't comment often, but was happy to see your post of new projects since yours always reflect such warmth and high quality. These latest are simply wonderful! What an amazing way to pay tribute to your special Joey & also give new life to a couple of pieces. Your vision for those was incredible, and I love the little details you put in with the brass trim pieces. Delightful! Hugs to you on your loss.

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Love the FP photo. Sorry to hear about your loss. It's never easy.

Your pieces turned out great! You should make this a side job!

• tammy518
    12 years ago

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your precious furbaby. It is oftentimes harder than losing a person because animals are there for you every day 24/7 and love you unconditionally with their big hearts. Hugs to you.

Your projects turned out great. I especially like the marble topped table with the harlequins on it.

• Arapaho-Rd
    12 years ago

Just want to say I am so sorry about Joey. The painted pieces you were able to create while dealing with your grief are amazing! Just beautiful.

• newdawn1895
    12 years ago

So sorry to hear about your little Joey. Their more than pets, as all of us know.

Your tag name My3dogs will always be a reminder of little Joey.

....Jane

• declansmom
    12 years ago

My3dogs.....First of all, I am so sorry to hear about Joey.
    I have always enjoyed seeing pictures of your babies whenever you post. My heart goes out to you. It is so sad and difficult when we lose our beloved pets.

Your talent is amazing. Those pieces turned out so beautifully. You have a warm, welcoming home. Thank you for sharing!

• loribee
    12 years ago

Very pretty pieces...so sorry for your loss. :(

• ellenm08
    12 years ago

So impressive! Nothing is more therapeutic than a little creativity.
    The faux marbling looks great! I've always wanted to try it and you've inspired me to get on it. Can't wait to see what project you take on next!

• mjsee
    12 years ago

Lovely work! Did you score the wood lightly with an exacto to keep the stain from bleeding out of the squares? (Didn't read all the posts...so if you already answered that...sorry.)

I am sorry you lost your pup. I have an elderly cat (16) who is hanging in there--but I don't know how much longer we'll have him. It's hard to lose a beloved pet. Glad you found some projects!

• bungalow_house
    12 years ago

So sorry about Joey.

You have such cool stuff "down cellar"!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to you all again! Sam, Jenny and I truly appreciate your thoughts. I am so gratified to hear that you like my projects and feel my home is 'warm'. I do love my little house, and am grateful that I enjoy sewing and projects like these, as you can make something that no one else will have, and do it just to your taste.

mjsee, I stained the table first, so no exacto knife was used. I just used math and a ruler to create the diamonds, with a soft pencil, which was on top of the stain. So all I had to do was use the black paint to do the harlequins. I did them by hand with a small flat tipped brush and just tried to be careful. I LOVE old things, so as much as I tried for perfection, they aren't all exactly alike, but that works with an old piece of furniture. The faux marbling was quick and easy compared to those darn harlequins!

Lisa, (bungalow) you have that right, although I am perusing Craigslist to see what I can come up with for cheap vintage furniture to play with. I may need to scope out the cellar again. :-)

• kellykath
    12 years ago

Beautifully done!!

• ttodd
    12 years ago

Unbelievably stunning! Your projects too! The last picture of all 3 in front of the fireplace is something I expect to see in a Fall/ Winter Special Edition of a local magazine. Heart touching and so warm, peaceful and inviting.

DS1 wants me to paint his bureau w/ th eUnion Jack Flag after seeing it on Miss Mustard Seed awhile ago. He wants a poster of the Beatles above it. At almost 8 he clearly inherited his Daddy's taste in music.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

I love your new pieces, and I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of Joey. I finally got a pic of our 3 cats under the Christmas tree, and then we suddenly lost the Maine Coon a month later.

• cooperbailey
    12 years ago

I saw your tribute to your beautiful Joey on another thread. And I am so sorry. You will always be My3dogs.

On a lighter note, isn't the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint fun? I have been using it a lot and have been thinking of doing a Union Jack dresser to sell.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good morning everyone,

You'd have laughed at 7 AM this morning as I called a local lumber yard to schedule a small delivery. For some reason, when I get on the phone, my Sam, who will be 12 in April, but acts like a puppy, gets a squeaky toy and like to lie near me honking the darn thing! The guy at the store asked if that is what he was hearing, and said, 'He's really getting his teeth into it, isn't he?" Sammy is the happiest dog I have ever seen, and is excited to start each day, and gives his toys and tennis balls a workout!

ttodd and Cooperbailey, If you DO paint a Union Jack on something, don't do what I did, and just get going, unless you are better acquainted with the flag than I was...I glanced at a bureau that Miss Mustard Seed had done, and just stated painting, not noticing that the diagonal red and white stripes are NOT all the same width. DUH... I've put a link below where you can see that...

Here is a link that might be useful: Union Jack flag pic

• lascatx
    12 years ago

By any chance did that cold front pass through your area last night? My dogs always get more playful at morning hugs time when the weather changes -- especially when it gets colder.

I liked the Union Jack piece before it was painted, but what fun after! I'm sure Joey would be honored by the tribute. I love the little desk. Maybe that can give me some ideas for a piece I have been waiting to play with. I have a small chest I pulled out of a dumpster that has been sitting out in my garage awaiting a greater inspiration. My plan was to mosaic the top, but even if I do that, I will need to paint the rest of it (it is streaky royal blue right now). The painting is so nice, but your finishing details really add the crowning touch. I hope you find some more fun things to play with. Look forward to seeing them.

• juddgirl2
    12 years ago

I'm so sorry about the loss of your dog. We lost ours months ago and I'm still seeing him everywhere.

You did him proud with your tribute. They're both beautiful!