SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

Powder room makeover: Towel ring placement

Tmnca
11 years ago

Since I decided to put the kitchen facelift on hold for now, I decided to tackle a smaller and cheaper project first!

This is our downstairs guest/powder room in June, BEFORE (previous owner)

{{gwi:1385945}}

and this is a few weeks ago, not yet painted - hard to tell in the pics but the paint was a sort of putty beige, a bit dingy to me. but the vinyl plank flooring made a big difference, though not really visible in this pic.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Last weekend I painted the whole room with the leftover BM Mascarpone from the living room - which brightened it up even if it doesn't look much different in the photo, and I bought a quart of paint in RL Turret Stair to paint the cabinets.. I sanded them to remove the top paint layer and painted with a foam roller. I don't like the yellowy fake marble countertop but it will stay until we decide what if anything to do about all the countertops. I replaced the slab mirror with a framed one from Home Depot, which I think dresses it up a lot and matches the cabinets.

I just received the brushed nickel cabinet knobs, towel ring and toiler roll holder.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

So now my question is - which side to mount these items on? For the towel ring, it seems like the right side of the sink would be most natural, but then I'd have to put the vase on the left and the first thing you'd see looking in the door would be the towel instead of the vase.

Second the toilet roll holder - it was previously on the left when sitting on the toilet. It was recessed and I want to replace it with a flip-up non recessed holder so I patched the large square hole and painted over the spot. However you can still see the texture of the plaster is not quite the same there. SHould I place the new hold over the same spot, to disguise it, or on the right side of the toilet for right-handed people? Left hand side would be behind the door, right hand side is seen coming in the room.

I'm also kinda wishing I'd done one wall in the leftover Mexicana (deep red with warm terracotta tones) but I want it to be done with the painting now!

Thanks!

Comments (10)