SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbpdl

Window Covering - Think OUTside the Box

arbpdl
10 years ago

Where do I turn when I just don't have a clue? Here, of course.

I have a horrible room - my family/tv/hangout room. In all fairness, it is supposed to be a sunroom.

A very long, narrow room (19 X 9) with 3 walls worth of windows. While this might initially sound glorious, let me assure you, it is not. If I had lots of money, I would have a very experienced contractor in here to remove most of the windows, and the patio sliding doors, and put wall back. I don't though, so I have to deal with all these leaky north facing windows which look out to - a fence. Yup, somewhere along the lines they decided that a whole wall of windows and patio door facing north wasn't smart, so they built a 6' privacy fence a couple feet away (to serve as a wind block, perhaps). So, leaky windows with no view in a room that's impossible to heat and cool = cover those babies up!

The initial assumption was curtains, so when I moved in I hung sheers. I didn't realize how leaky the windows were and assumed I wanted all the wonderful natural light. Now these windows are not standard height so all the sheers had to be tailored. Plus, while they are all the same size, they are not all the same distance from the floor as the ceiling slopes (a lot) and the floor slopes (a little). It was a nightmare.

So I have ugly sheers hanging over crappy mini blinds and I'm not loving it. Winter is coming and I need to stop the winds coming through. I was initially thinking thermal drapes, but this means lots more $$ spent as they'll all have to be custom made or at least tailored and I can't afford it. Plus, three walls of solid heavy fabric is just weird. If it has any gathers it's going to be super bulky and it'll look like my walls are wearing a petticoat.

So I'm trying to think of an alternative. The trim is lovely. It's simple, but it's wide and old fashioned (it's a 100 year old craftsman) and freshly painted a soft white.

Also, there is no wall space for any family photos or decor, and I think in a family room there should be lots of fun family photos and memorabilia. So I got the bright idea of cutting backer board, which is really thin and inexpensive, to fit inside each window and basically use that as my window treatment.

What would I do with it though? Paint it white to match the trim and hang photos on it? Would that look stupid?

Or cover it in drop cloth fabric, maybe in pressed pleats to look like a very neatly tailored window panel was hanging there?

What about the patio door which is smack in the middle of all these windows? I don't use it, except for if I have to move something really big in or out. There's also a real door next to the patio slider and we use that for daily use. In fact. the patio door is partially obscured by a chair, so I'd like it to blend in as much as possible and NOT scream door.

I googled "cover windows without curtains" and all I could find were suggestions for blinds and shutters. I want something really different. Something that controls the strong winds coming in, is neat and tidy and tailored looking (not fru fru) but casual at the same time.

Ugh, suggestions?

The only photo I have is from the realtors listing. The room looks nothing like that now, other than the windows are still there so I'm posting it for reference.

Comments (16)