SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poorowner_gw

Please help with design of nook/niche area

PoorOwner
15 years ago

Hi, I am redoing the kitchen soon with dark oak cabinets and I will be addressing the adjacent area to the kitchen.

It has a big window and 2 ft deep, I think it was meant for a small dining table there because the light fixture was above it. I have now moved my light and table over, also I do not like the wallpaper in this area and it needs a new look.

Here is a view standing from one wall. I just wanted to show the wood color.. we have the cloth just for our own daily use.

Here is the view looking the other way, I would like to install a rectagular mirror there.

Here is the kitchen cabinets and my goal is to make it transition into this nook but provide a cosey feel:

{{gwi:1593614}}
{{gwi:1851710}}

Here are the design issues I face:

I do not have any orange paint to make this wall the same.

I do not like this wallpaper,

I have played with the color wheel and my conclusion is that it will not look good with a solid color (PAINT) to go adjacent to the orange. It needs a pattern, stripes etc with more than 1 color.

I think we are considering this wallpaper

There are more colors here

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/Wall-Decor/Wallpaper-Designs/Metallic-Wallpapers/Anzio-Botanical-Wallpaper-Beige/p/3431

I will be upgrading the moulding around the window. The window treatment will also be updated.

Here is one thing that I really want to pursue, I would like to do wainscoting panels here.. and only wall paper the upper half, perhaps same stain color to the kitchen cabinets. (or painted white like my mouldings?) Or use the kitchen cabinets to build a sitting cabinet bench in front of the window. Or just the panel and a furniture bench in front of the window.

I have also got a little inspiration to make some book shelves and put plants in front of the window like this, about 12" deep so not too menancing like a full depth kitchen cabinet.

The wall paper will also be used in another wall of the kitchen where it does not have backsplash.

I know the wainscoting might not work that well because the rest of the room doesn't have it? But I think it will create a transition feel from kitchen to the dining area, if I have a chance one day I wouldn't mind putting it in the rest of the room.

If you have some ideas I would like to hear it? I will be going with this project and turning concept into reality.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)