SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chibimimi

Floor finish: durability and old-fashioned look?

chibimimi
10 years ago

We are in the process of refinishing our cherry floors. I really want something that looks like the good old sealed-and-waxed floors of hundred-year-old houses, but don't have to be refreshed every year or so. What I do NOT want is the polyurethane look -- a thick coating that sits on top of the floor.

We used Glitsa semi-gloss in a previous home and it gave us exactly the right look. However, our contractor is having a very hard time finding it locally. He can get the satin within a few hours of here, but satin does not look right.

The floor refinisher suggested Streetshoe. Has anyone used it? Does it bring out the grain the way shellac or varnish do?

One of the great advantages of the Streetshoe is that it is waterborne, so we can get back in the house quickly, as opposed to the Glitsa, where there is a several-day wait. But I've read that waterborne finishes do not get into the wood and enrich its look the way solvent-based finishes do.

The refinisher also said that tung oil comes closest to giving the right look, but is not durable. We have pets, we have snow, we have no interest in high-maintenance, so tung oil is out.

Any other suggestions that combine good looks with durability?

Comments (7)