SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_129235

The sectional is in! What rug???

Boopadaboo
9 years ago

Ok I am so happy with the way the room is turning out. The whole dynamics of the room have changed and we LOVE it. When we started out shopping we didnt even think we would want a sectional.

I know it has been a crazy process and I really appreciate all the help to date. Just imagine what I would have if you all did not help out! :)

It is some kind of velvet chenille so it looks different in different angles. It is burgundy paisley with some barely noticeable dark green.

The drapes will be going although DH likes them for some reason. I tried to do that thing with Powerpoint and put the rug together with the sectional but I failed miserably!

Some rug options......

1 -

2 -

3 -

4 -

6 -

I think it makes sense to start with a rug and go from there next. I really like some of the more non traditional rugs, but i just have a hard time envisioning them in a room. I would like the room to be more casual overall, but the fabric seems to give off a more formal vibe. Maybe I am wrong???

This post was edited by boopadaboo on Thu, Oct 9, 14 at 18:59

Comments (139)

• katlan
    9 years ago

I think a lighter background with a larger, wider pattern. I don't like the stiped rugs at all. Not any of them.

Man, you have a tough decision to make, there are so very many pretty ones to choose from. It's fine to ask opinions, but then when you get 257 different opinions, yikes! I don't envy you this task, I am so indecisive I make MYSELF sick, haha.

Good luck, your room is fab!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I would never put a sisal rug where kids will be on it or walking barefoot on it. They are painful. I have one at my sunroom entrance, good there for tracking, but I hate when I forget and walk barefoot on it.
    I do love the look of them, just have to be selective on location.
    I agree none of the stripes look good to me either..

• Related Discussions

Sectional sofas 101

Q

Comments (7)
    My Flexsteel sectional has metal clips so the two pieces hook together. It's on a wood floor but it's against two walls so it's not going anywhere (it also weighs a ton). No recliners; we plan on a cat sometime soon and I once injured a cat by trapping it under the recliner when I closed it up, so I swore I would never own a recliner again. We did choose to use a larger coffee table because we needed the surface space, and the coffee table that had fit the regular couch just fine was too small for the sectional, both visually and functionally. Regarding measurements, our sectional sits in a corner against two walls. I simply measured the two walls and allowed a bit of space for small end tables, then hunted down a sectional that fit those measurements and wasn't too bulky for the room. Small-scale sectionals that aren't just two loveseats stuck together or a couch with a chaise stuck on (I find it very difficult to get out of the chaise) are not easy to find, but they're not ALL ginormous! Ours is something like 90" on one side of the "L" and 110" on the other. If you plan to "float" your sectional, get a roll of blue painter's tape and map out where your sectional's going to go, right on the floor with the tape, until the proportion looks right and then measure that; if you have the standard sofa-loveseat combo now you can shove them together into that space and get a rough idea of scale. The biggest "pros" in our house are that it wastes no space in our small living room - when we had a couch and loveseat, there was a substantial area in the corner that was wasted (furniture arms take up a lot of space) and we couldn't both stretch out to watch TV, read or nap while now we can and still have room for the dog. :-) The main con is that it IS a little bit heavy-looking for the small room, although cut-back arms, a relatively low back, and a slightly-bland midtone sage color do reduce the visual weight somewhat.
    ...See More

Sectional Sofas...a good idea? or don't go there?

Q

Comments (39)
    Just to update, we finally ordered a sectional from Century. It is L shaped with a loveseat on one wall and a sofa length on the other. The good thing is that it is 43" deep so it should be very comfortable to lay on. We chose a chenille type fabric in a greenish tone. We started the room's decor off by picking 2 oriental rugs and pulling colors from that. The sofa comes with 7 throw pillows, so I chose 2 different fabrics for 4 of those. We'll see if it works or not when it comes in! On another note, once we started to choose decor, we realized the color on the walls was pukey and we had to get the painters back to change from blue to brown. I'm so glad we did that. It really warms up a basement room with no windows. The lighting is what made color selection so tricky. Also in there, we got a leather recliner from Hancock & Moore. And the really neat looking Wisteria Barn door coffee table. Funny thing is that when it arrived, it really did smell like a...barn door! Fortunately that smell has disapated.
    ...See More

what color rug will go with dark color leather sectional sofas?

Q

Comments (1)
    Hey Emy, Do you have photos of the living room and sofa, if not, could you tell us a bit more about the sofa?
    ...See More

Wall colors to suit a caramel/tan leather sectional sofa.

Q

Comments (6)
    This off topic, but I thought I’d mention it. I have a vintage caramel leather chair from pottery barn that I had near a window. It was a rich creamy caramel colour and the change was so gradual I didn’t notice it until several months later. The light really does a number on leather and areas where the light/sun hit the chair has lightened the leather a lot. Those parts are more a grayish caramel and I wish I’d noticed it sooner. I’ve moved the chair away from the windows but the damage is done. Just a heads up since you said you wanted to put your couch in front of the window.
    ...See More
  • jterrilynn
    9 years ago

I have some indoor outdoor fake sisals in some areas and love them. You can hose them down when they get dirty. They look like sisals but are softer on your feet. Mine where a bit pricey for faux though so maybe that would be out of budget. They are real hardy and nice. I provided a link to the ones I have but there are more choices, just hit the indoor outdoor link on main page.

Here is a link that might be useful: sisal indoor outdoor link with border choices

• voila
    9 years ago

Boop, you can certainly mix tartan plaids with oriental rugs, as seen in Ralph Lauren's Bedford, NY home. The important thing about the plaid fabric is staying with its primary colors (I think of them as Crayola colors, before they expanded the options). Even though many greens go together, the tartan needs the same green to work IMHO, because of the amount of fabric for drapery. The plaid would seem to be a major pattern in your room. Since we can't tell online what the color of your sofa really is, if it is really burgundy, it veers from the primary color scheme. We have had discussions on the GW forums about oriental carpets blending in, and being used with many other patterns. Even a red (not pink) and blue oriental can look like a red-blue and read burgundy. Unfortunately, it seems that the misfit here is probably the tartan plaid. In a very large room (mansion like Ralph's) many more colors in fabrics, rugs over rugs, numerous decorative accessories and lavish artwork also help to blend in more colors. Don't get discouraged. Let this be motivation to really study the science of mixing prints. I hope you and your family love the new sofa. Take your time to select new fabric for the drapes, and then the nice cozy rug that the kids will like to lie on. Keep us in on your options, as everyone here is trying to help you. This is a picture of the RL home in New York. Look up designer's homes for ideas in mixing and matching. Best of luck!

• User
    9 years ago

Can you give me a link to #13? I'm rug hunting, too.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Real Oriental rugs go with everything.

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Link for #13 was posted on Monday at 9:30ish. this rug hunting is a lot of work :) I wish I could find time to go to stores. This week I am having a hard time finding time even at night.

In my searches I found an old GW thread about matching oriental rugs. I can see even back then in my old house I was matchy matchy :)

I did find this one yesterday.... No number, it is 95k :(

#16 from ebay

#17 (I have a hard time trying for no medallion )

I liked this #18 but bidding ended before I could decide. Went for $316

I have not given up and thank you all for continuing to play along! I do like kind of beat up faded orientals. I have a hard time finding them on ebay now because so many are made to look like that even though they are new!

I liked this but it was a bit too beat up :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Old thread on orientals

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Hey Boo, do a google image search on layering rugs over sisal on a wood floor. I really love that look. If you could find a deal on a sisal (faux or real) you could then get a smaller oriental or other rug for layering that you might have really liked but it was too expensive in the larger size. You could even try the layer at an angle.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Wed, Oct 15, 14 at 10:17

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

I like this one.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

"beat up" is great on Orientals! A lot of people think it adds to their charm. You can also just take Magic Markers and color them in where the color is worn. Great for families with young kids, too, because you don't have to worry about the rug getting ruined!

• Mike121
    9 years ago

It seems very traditional even to me. I am not criticizing the floral motifs from any sense but there are many rugs that are available online which can give a casual look to a room.

• User
    9 years ago

Thank heavens the 95k one doesn't go with your sofa, lol! Nor does the one posted directly after.

I don't know where the idea came from that "oriental" rugs don't have to "match." Persian, Turkish, Indian and other rugs considered orientals come in an astonishing array of sizes, colors and patterns, and their selection follows the same design principles as everything else---- the size, color and pattern must be harmonious with the other elements in a room in order for it to look good. Rugs that incorporate many colors obviously have a broader range of settings in which they would look good, but thoughtful selection also depends on the type and scale of the pattern.

If you are able to go shopping for a rug, maybe you could take a cushion, or cushion cover, shopping with you. And you're right, this IS hard, especially when you want that casual looking eclectic mix of colors and fabrics and patterns that is anything but easy to get right. I think looking for rugs before you had a sofa used up a lot of design energy, and certainly looking at the thousands of rugs available online is a daunting process, especially since you have no way of knowing if the colors are true.....you must be sick of it by now!

• amykath
    9 years ago

Whichever rug you choose, unless it is a solid color, I would go with a solid color window panel or one with a very soft pattern. My two cents.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

I think it would be money well spent to hire a decorator to help you with rug and curtain choices. From your posts, it seems as though what you like and what works in your room are not compatible. You need the help of a professional. Sorry, but it's just my opinion.

• User
    9 years ago

I think karlene is right. At some point it has got to be really confusing having so many different opinions. While I really love GW and give my own opinions freely, lol, I don't typically ask for major decorating advice from anyone except our ID. The last time I asked for opinions was, ironically, about a rug, and I believe the opinion was nearly 100% that I shouldnt use it because it didn't look good with the floor. The designer told me to keep it, that the floor would recede in importance when all the other elements of the room were in place and would simply be a neutral background for the rug--- and he was spot on. Pictures are two dimensional, colors are often wrong or skewed on computer screens, and there's just something different about seeing a room IRL.....a designer might really be a great help to you.

• User
    9 years ago

I agree with k9arlene and kswl. Someone who can stand in your room with you will be a better help than all of us. Since I started rug shopping I have been sure three times. I've cancelled one rug. There are too many choices and the ones I like the best are out of my budget. I'm going to spend the winter rethinking my choices.

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

:) I actually like the looking, but I get it can make people crazy. Especially my process apparently. I think it is fun, I certainly don't mean to make you all frustrated.

I found drapes I had that DH and I really like. I am sure they are not to everyone's taste. I love barkcloth. I have been looking for arm chairs, a rug, and drapes at the same time. Which ever I found first would help narrow the searches for the others. I finally had a chance this morning to go through my tubs (yes I have too many) of vintage drapes and I found a set of 6 that I had been thinking of that have 4 narrow and 2 extrawide. DH happens to love them so I think we are set there but I will mull it over this weekend now that they are hung and then keep going for a rug and a chair (or a pair)

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Still looking at rugs. :)

We have lived with the drapes (they are moved over so they don't hit the gate now) for a while though and like them. I feel a 70's vibe with them which does make the rug shopping interesting.

I found a picture in the attic for over the fireplace too. No pics yet of that though.

I wanted to say thanks to aktillery too. Powerpoint has really helped me in my rug search!

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

Of the three, I like the first one best then the second one next, something about the last one I am not crazy about but that's just my person taste, it goes well with the room though. Of all the choices, these last three are the best so far IMHO.

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks arkansas_girl. I think I like them in reverse order but the last one is the most expensive. I just got outbid on the middle one but DH said it looks like amoebas so I don't think he loves it, although he probably won't care either way. :)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I love the last one! If you can get it I think it will be great in your room. You will have a good rug for many years.

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

I'm late chiming in. I love the last one. The colors are gorgeous and bring out the sofa.

• nancybee_2010
    9 years ago

I like the last one too. The colors seem to blend best with the drapes and sofa. Love the animals in it!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Hmm, I like the second one! I like the fact that the pattern is more airy, more open, so that is seems to fight less with the drapes IMHO.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Agree with the last one, too.
    A tip: Also look at international rugs. I had one shipped from Europe, which was still cheaper than the US rugs. Also search for antique and vintage.
    There are rugs in different places on Ebay.
    Maybe also look for Kilim, or is that out?

Another trick: Look for Ebay sniper programs.

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I appreciate all the feedback again, especially since this thread is getting so long!

I like the middle one too. No one else really seems to (DH, DD, SM) :) I think I am going to see how much that goes for (it ends today) before putting in an offer on the last one. I am currently the high bidder at $101 including shipping.

The last one is up for sale for $2500 or BO, and I have no idea what they would take for it. I do LOVE it, but not sure I love it at that much for the family room which is based on a used sectional and some drapes that have been making the rounds in the house. Of course it always could be used elsewhere and my kids would love that it has animals on it.

Dh would argue if we really even need a rug in the room, but I think we do. My 2 year old still falls occasionally (he fell off the bench last week) and I like having the rug for a landing. Also they do play a lot still in this room. We play games with a ton of small plastic animals (habitat and animal families they call it) and legos and they scoot all over the floor without a rug.

I feel like the first one would work, but might be a bit expected if that makes any sense.

• nancybee_2010
    9 years ago

I'm going to change my opinion to the middle one. I see mtn's point about not competing with the drapes. And what a great price! Also, it's more of a tribal style to go with the one you have in the kitchen.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I love #3. I think it goes best with the sectional and coordinates nicely with the draperies. If anything in the room is ever going to change, it might be the draperies, so I'd rather have the rug that goes best with the couch.

• User
    9 years ago

Out of the last three, at first I liked the last one best, but changed my mind to #2. I agree with the others about the pattern. I don't really care for the first one for some reason.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

Plush brown fabric is very informal. I think it's a good idea to start with a carpet and work new drapes around that.
    I distorted the photos of the rugs to superimpose them, the distort and scale is off, but this gives you an idea of colors and a little hint about how the pattern might lay.

I like the color and tonality of the Persian rug the best, with the dark sofa, dark floors and white walls, a lighter or medium tone (like this) will work best. I am a sucker for those patchwork rugs like the bottom and I think it would be best for your den, play room, all purpose room and would hide a multitude of sins in the future. I would look for it in medium shades of brown and red.

I didn't read the whole thread before writing this, wow what a great bunch of ideas!

PS. I can see you in your photobucket folder. Try downloading the photo from pb to your desktop and uploading to gn if you want anonymity.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

If it's 110.00 vs 2500.00, I'd go with the middle one, as I'm not sure I'd spend that much on a rug on Ebay about which I don't know much. What material is it? What technique?

• lilylore
    9 years ago

A huge piece of wall art, perhaps macrame or a textile, wants to live over the sectional.

You might try doing something with kids art.

There was a cool and inexpensive piece done by an artist for The Block Glass House (by blackliststudio.com), the artist built 1 meter square plywood pieces (narrow framed to stand out from the wall) and painted them with bold graphics (abstract moon, horizon), close up of fonts, sayings, ect; all in a very narrow color scheme (whitewash/grey, black, blue/accent color & raw wood), then hung them like an abstract mural. I think the idea would work as a mom and kid project, where mom paints the more sedate pieces that tie together the kids' work, or mom traces out a pattern for the kid to fill in, the sketchy-painted texture becomes part of the piece.

• theclose
    9 years ago

As a rug, I like the third one best but I like the second one best in your room. It is a great rug and a great price.

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for chiming in! I got the rug. more then $110, but I was OK with the price. It says it will be here this week. :) Whoo hoo.

Now on to artwork! :)

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Could you give us a hint as to WHICH rug, lol?

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry olychick. :) I should realize everyone doeasnt have all the details of a post with over 100 responses memorized :)

This one:

While I did really like 3, it was more then I wanted to spend and I liked what mtnrdredux said about the scale. I liked this one for awhile, but then got some doubts about it. :0 DH was not too in love with it, so that is why I posted them here.

When I get it I will post a pic with the new painting over the fireplace too.

We are still so happy with the room and the changes. thank you all for the help so far. :)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Nice!!!
    Looking forward to seeing it in your room.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

Seeing the carpet choice now, I would advise you to use white curtains or the same color as the walls, and allow the brickwork of the fireplace to be the hero that it is. It creates a strong upward thrust in a room that feels very low-ceiling and a contrasting pattern or color on the curtains might not only detract from the FP but start to make a horizontal patterning, as odd as that sounds. The eye would be drawn to the left and right rather than up and down.

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks lily lore. I actually got the carpet to work with the drapes. I like a lot of pattern which I know is not for everyone.

The rug is here already and it is great! Perfect colors, better than the picture. It is probably not the highest quality, due maybe to kpsi? But I am super happy with it for the price and I can't wait for dh to move it to the family room!

• salonv
    9 years ago

Wow this thread was quite the evolution! The rug looks so good- it really does compliment everything you have in the room.
    I did like 2 and 3, but honestly the price of 3 not having seen it in REAL life and in REAL light, would totally deter me. I think 2 looks wonderful and since it didn't break the bank, it looks even better!

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, just a picture with the phone and the kids are already playing on it but here it is. :) I have a feeling figuring out what will go on the big wall will take a while to figure out.

• nancybee_2010
    9 years ago

Very nice! I like the new picture- is that a horse?

• geokid
    9 years ago

I really like that rug! I know I was a stripes voter way back, but this one is great.

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both. It feels like the rug works well in the room. not sure DH is convinced, but I think partially because it is blue and he spent so much time painting over the blue walls we had everywhere that he cant' understand why I would want a blue rug :)

The painting is of a wolf. My mom was told her Lenape spirit animal was a wolf, and I bought this after she passed. It makes me think of her.

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

Really love that rug - great choice! I'm also in love with that painting, very beautiful and so neat to have something around to remind you of mom.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

This rug suits the room very well. Good choice.

I am sure the little guy loves it, because it kinda looks like a city map with grey streets, there's a gas station, warehouse with dock bays, ranch houses, etc.

• nancybee_2010
    9 years ago

Such a lovely painting, especially with the meaning it has for you.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

the rug does look good! I think you could have gotten a solid tho' and let the kids make different patterns with their toys. A new rug every day!

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! I know I start all over the place, and I don't always hit the mark, but so far I really love this room! Y'all were a big help.

I totally could have gone with a solid rug or solid curtains I agree. I just really love pattern. The kids do LOVE the rug, which I was not expecting :) Last night my 2 year old said "mommy, I love the rug so much I want it upstairs (in the bedroom)" I thought that was funny.

This post was edited by boopadaboo on Sat, Nov 1, 14 at 11:11

• funkyart
    9 years ago

Love how you pulled the room together while staying true to your style! It looks great.. and so liveable. Perfect!