SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jnh896_gw

Help with 1940's/1950's bedroom decor ideas?

jnh896
13 years ago

Hello,

I have my grandparents bedroom set in our guest room - a mirrored vanity with bench, chest of drawers, and poster bed. I believe it is the "waterfall" style of furniture. I love the furniture for sentimental reasons, but I've had a hard time decorating the room and feel that it looks "old lady." I would like to be true to the era of the furniture, but also a little funky and I don't mind kitsch. I've looked online and haven't found too many ideas for bedrooms (mostly ideas for vintage kitchens.) Unfortunately, I don't like chintz or cabbage rose type floral patterns, which seems to be the style of the 1940's that I keep seeing online, nor do I want a chenille bedspread. I would lean more to a MCM style, but I think the furniture is too ornate to be considered MCM. Maybe I can go Art Deco or Hollywood Regency? I've got a variety of other collectibles that I can add in (Fire King dishes, Manhattan glass, Lady Vase Heads, vintage hats, etc.)but I just can't quite bring it all together.

Can anyone help me with ideas for the appropriate style or color palette? Would a picture of the furniture help? Thank you!!

Comments (19)