SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aprilmack

Vertical blinds are dated, right?

aprilmack
10 years ago

Hello everyone,

We recently had new windows put in our home and now we need new window coverings.

I didn't realize how much depth we'd lose. We had 2" faux wood blinds throughout the second level of the house and they just will not fit as an inside mount anymore.

I know this is so superficial but I'm more concerned about how the windows look from the outside. I took a walk around my neighborhood and the houses which looked 'clean cut' to me still have vertical blinds. I couldn't believe there were so many.

Vertical blinds are dated, right? I don't like the look of them inside but they looked so uniform from the outside.

Here's my dilemma. We had a window covering company to come out and they wanted $2200 for fabric roller shades; We have 12 windows and maybe 2 of those windows are a standard size. I didn't want to spend nearly that much but is that pricing reasonable?

My husband told me that roller blinds were dated but I thought they were making a comeback.

Can anyone help? We have a colonial style home. The picture I included is NOT my home but the set up is virtually identical. This is a home that was for sale.

Comments (48)

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

I don't remember anyone specifically mentioning vertical blinds. I haven't been too keen on them, primarily because when the kids were younger and renting, they seemed to be in every apt. I don't even know if they are easier to clean. Will be interesting to read other's ideas.

There are a couple of recent posts about window coverings. Great picks and ideas. Roller or roman shades are not out to me. Upgraded and well done, they look good.

Are you planning on doing your entire house with the same coverings?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

If you want my opinion, I don't like them...they look very office to me, and I have seen too many that were old, broken and dirty to like them. The only application that would make sense to me are large sliders...certainly not sill length windows.

Just my opinion...

• Related Discussions

Vertical bllinds: Instyle or Out-of-date?

Q

Comments (37)
    Personally, I do not like them. I had them on my large sliding door from my family room to my back yard. The ones I had were decent: fairly heavy and covered in some sort of woven material. However, they were frustrating and (in my opinion) ugly/dated. We have a large dog and she goes in and out through that door. They were forever getting shut in the door, or spun around and tangled so they would not close. They were always dirty from the dog and people going in and out through them. Visually, they did not add anything to the room. I replaced the vertical blinds with machine washable grommet drapes. I actually selected outdoor drapes because they are supposed to be stain resistant and easy to care for. The grommet drapes are easy to slide back and forth on the rod, so they are very easy to open and close; much easier than the vertical blinds. They can go in the washing machine and dryer so the few times my dog has been able to get something yucky on them, I have been able to easily take them down and throw them in the washer. They are thick enough to provide light control, privacy, and keep the heat/cool in during the winter and summer. The grommets allow the drapes to fold up tightly when pulled back away from the window to let in all of the light.
    ...See More

Has Anyone Painted Vertical Blinds?

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks for the replies. They seem to be easy to get off the tracks to be able to lay them out on a drop cloth. I will have to decide if spray painting would be better than the foam roller - even without a breeze I seem to get paint all over in the past. These seem to be made with heavy duty textured fabric with no plastic backing. They are heavily weighted with metal so they do not swing around much. The thicker weight with the paint should work ok. Some of the instructions talk about fabric paint. Is this the same paint that is used to paint teeshirts found at Michael's or Hobby Lobby? Or the little bottles? If they are going to need a lot of paint I am wondering if the latex wall or ceiling paint would work better? Would you spray coat them with a protective coating? (Better collect up my % off coupons!) Anyone else know how these have turned out?
    ...See More

How do I hang curtains over vertical blinds that stick out?

Q

Comments (25)
    This is an old thread which I happened to come across in a search to hide vertical blinds in a rental--in my case, over sliding doors. Check with the HOA if you live where there is one because some do not allow the slats to be taken down in order to preserve the symmetry on the outside, especially in "cookie cutter" neighborhoods. Verticals may be dated--but then so are the ideas of many HOA's-- and the fines are very real and can be quite steep. If you rent, you may be charged by the owners for any fees incurred for the violation of some very antiquated and weird rule. And there are some owners who do not want them removed for whatever reason, which can become a hassle when inspection time comes up before rent renewal.
    ...See More

Drapes vs vertical blinds

Q

Comments (17)
    Hunter Douglas: consider this option. I think these could work well in your room with the stone fireplace. Proximity to water often creates a different dilemma for treating windows. We were on a deep water access, salt water river with acres of conservation surrounding the property. The winter storms were so bad, we decided to add exterior rolling shutters, which turned out to be the best solution year 'round. Then I used fabric for stationary panels…just for the color and texture. My beautiful Herring River...
    ...See More
  • luckygal
    10 years ago

Vertical blinds are past their due date IMO however because they can be inexpensive and are convenient are still used. Definitely function over form. I've had them in a few houses but won't ever have them again.

I prefer roller blinds and while they have been used for well over 100 years they are IMO timeless. They wax and wane in popularity.

I would recommend getting 2 other quotes if possible to compare prices. It may not be unreasonable for custom shades tho.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

Right.

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

I hate the way vertical blinds clatter against eachother in a breeze when then window is opened, and the slats always become tweaked and misaligned.

Roller shades should not cost that much, but it depends on the side of the windows and how many you have of course. They are so easy to install I bought some online at justblinds.com. I like the ones with the clutch/continuous chain not the spring.

I would just use the 2" blinds you have and use hardware to mount them inside but protruding slightly into the room, I've done that before with shallow windows.

• jrueter
    10 years ago

We have replaced vertical blinds in all but one room in our home for some of the reasons already mentioned - they feel "corporate", they rattle in the breeze, they are hard to clean and the slats get cockeyed easily. Mostly they are being replaced with simple fabric curtains/drapes which add color and softness, are easy to open/close and easy to clean as I chose simple styles with machine washable fabrics.

Probably you are responding to the uniformity of the vertical blinds looking "clean cut" versus different fabric treatments in different rooms. Roller shades could give a similar uniform look, and I don't think they are a dated look -you can add almost any curtains or valences to fit almost any decor.

If you haven't already, go look at Annie's thread with some great ideas for window treatments.

Here is a link that might be useful: GW thread - window treatment inspiration

• User
    10 years ago

Bali has line of vertical blinds that look like drapes, the vertical blind is encased in a washable fabric,

Bali Enchantment:

{{!gwi}}

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

We have shallow windows and have 1" blinds, JCP basswood blinds. They were pretty inexpensive to do the whole house.

We had vertical blinds on our old French doors since we needed the privacy during the day. Now we have the doors with the blinds between the glass.

• chucksmom
    10 years ago

Why can't you outside mount the blinds you have? You probably laid out big $$ to get the new windows and it's time to re-group. I'd put the old ones up (assuming they're in good shape) and move on. I'm really a nut that all my windows (especially the front of the house) match.

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

I've always had a very negative reaction to vertical blinds. They remind me of cheap apartments. The house I purchased has them on two patio doors. My plans are to replace them with a high end, clear window film to markedly reduce fading, along with draperies on either side of the window opening.

• Cloud Swift
    10 years ago

I like vertical blinds in our house. Like kaysd's, it's a mid-century modern ranch. Our verticals are on sliding doors opening into the back yard and the full height fixed panes that are next to them. We have horizontals in the narrow tall windows on the front of our house. For the sliders, I like that I can open them enough to use the door without opening them all the way.

We have bought good quality ones and they don't look cheap and we don't have problems with veins getting misaligned. We got the back stacker option when we recently replaced some, and I really like those - they don't rattle and they are quieter opening and closing. We got the Levelour ones with S-shaped veins laminated with fabric, not the industrial or cheap apartment thin metal ones that may have been a bad experience for some here.

While they work well for our house style, I don't think they are a good fit for your more traditional house style April. Even in a modern house, I prefer the look of horizontal blinds in windows that aren't full height. Perhaps it's just what I'm used to, but verticals look choppy to me if they don't go to the floor.

• User
    10 years ago

I am sorry to say because I don't like to be so negative on here- I have vertical blinds only on my slider in the kitchen. They are extremely practical- but I really don't like the look. I got them 20 plus years ago (and no they haven't really aged beautifully) and they are highly functional. we rarely need to use them for privacy, but occasionally for sunlight. Also have a dog who slobbers and the verticals are vinyl so no problem there. HOWEVER I do think they are very dated, and I keep searching for a solution to replace them. I will likely end up with grommet panels or something like that. So yes, I do think they are dated and I would in fact vote against them. ((sorry))
    On all other windows I have the white faux wood blinds and I like them very much

• Sujafr
    10 years ago

As Tinan said--I'd just mount the existing blinds you have inside and let them protrude out slightly. I'm assuming they're white and your trim is white. Then hang full length panels that you can either pull across if needed for extra darkness or just have the panels pulled back to the edges of the windows. IMHO that would look 100% better than vertical blinds.

I haven't purchased fabric roller shades, but it seems like you'd need curtain panels with them unless you're considering Roman shades, and that would be a fairly casual look. Good luck!

• User
    10 years ago

Yes, they are dated. I don't think you would like the look of roller shades at all your windows, either.

In your a Colonial style house those small slat shutters (not plantations) would be very appropriate. I'd hold off for them or something similar.

• deegw
    10 years ago

I'm just curious, was it ever common to use vertical blinds on regular windows? I've often seen them on patio doors but never on regular windows. Is it a regional thing?

• maxwell2013
    10 years ago

I am also thinking of putting vertical blinds in living room for a very large window. It is 128" wide. I am replacing old curtains. Does anyone else like their vertical blinds? Because the window is so wide I am not sure of what else to do? any suggestions?

• maxwell2013
    10 years ago

I am also thinking of putting vertical blinds in living room for a very large window. It is 128" wide. I am replacing old curtains. Does anyone else like their vertical blinds? Because the window is so wide I am not sure of what else to do? any suggestions?

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I hate them. I have two sliders and both had vertical blinds when we bought this house. A few years later, we bought new (and expensive) vertical blinds. They are very functional, but remind me of a bail bondsman's office. I finally got rid of mine and replaced them with cotton panels, which provide me with as much privacy as I need and I don't care about light control.

• blubird
    10 years ago

I like mine. I recently replaced my 140" family room fabric verticals with new fabric verticals. There are all different qualities of fabric; some look like paper towelling, mine are a nice weave. They are practical in controlling light and they look very contemporary. I know some people have replaced theirs with various drapes and/or sliding panels which, in my opinion, are not necessarily more attractive than verticals.

One day, those people who think verticals are ugly and dated, will embrace them again when the latest and newest will be declared "dated "

Helene

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

No, I will never like them - they feel too commercial/office like to me. It's nothing to do with being "dated". I just don't like them, but to each their own - they are functional.

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

I only like them because my dog can get out the doggie-door without me having to open them...
    Also easy to clean off nose prints.
    They need to be replaced but have yet to find a better option..

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Is that quote including installation ?
    $183.00 a window is probably reasonable .
    If you know a handyman or can call in a favor
    it really can be a DIY project and save you at
    least a grand.

• annzgw
    10 years ago

maxwell,
    I like mine.....a lot, but they are all fabric verticals. I have them in the FR that is on the SW corner of the house so we have to have something that controls light yet is easily opened (fully) to allow us to enjoy the view.
    If I didn't have pets I would be tempted to try HD Luminettes.

Here is a link that might be useful: HD

• maxwell2013
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! I do have vertical blinds on my doorwall in the kitchen which leads to the deck which I think is fine. I am looking for a window treatment for the livingroom and would love some suggestions for this room. Window is 128" wide by 51". Thanks everyone :)

• maxwell2013
    10 years ago

Does anyone have pictures to show what their blinds looks like?

• maxwell2013
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! I do have vertical blinds on my doorwall in the kitchen which leads to the deck which I think is fine. I am looking for a window treatment for the livingroom and would love some suggestions for this room. Window is 128" wide by 51". Thanks everyone :)

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Because of an ordering mistake, I'm waiting for the second set of French doors to be installed (after Christmas, sadly). For this reason I can share sort of a before and after of Verticals in real time.

If you can't see them, the French doors have the blinds between the glass. I am so very happy to finally be getting rid of the Verticals!

• likewhatyoudo
    10 years ago

maxwell - do you have a picture of the window you are wanting advice on?

As far a vertical blinds go - yes they are a dated treatment - but on a recent trip to ikea they have some really nice looking vertical treatments that I could see using in a modern/contemporary space and looked fantastic. I have also seen some very nice vertical blinds in some high end condos that looked amazing. But for traditional decor I would not use them.

I do like the white horizontal 2 inch blinds for windows in a bedroom or office or basement. For my french doors I have panels on rings that easily slide closed when needed for light control and privacy and open to the side most of the time.

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

I'm sure they're dated but that didn't stop me from getting some because it was the perfect application for the sliding door in our bedroom. The window looks out on a private wooded area so I wanted something that allowed me to see out almost all the time but something I could close when needed for privacy. I also have no space at the sides to stack drapes or anything else and I didn't want the window covering stacked at the side cover the window at all. When I open the slider, I also open the blinds so no clattering in the breeze.

As vertical blinds go, I really like the ones I have. They're a lovely textured silk fabric.

This post was edited by gibby3000 on Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 12:44

• maxwell2013
    10 years ago

maddielee, your new door looks beautiful!! What a great idea! Thanks for posting! I will try to post a picture of my window.

• erinsean
    10 years ago

I like mine...they are in the family room...ordinary double windows. They can be open to let in the light and shut at night to provide privacy. Mine open from the center out rather than open all the way to one side. I have thought of getting grommet drapes but would still have to open and shut them and I feel the verticals give me what I want without trouble and they are easy to clean.

• blubird
    10 years ago

Here's a poor picture of mine. They're closed because it's dark, but we do keep them open during the day.

Helene

• blubird
    10 years ago

Close up pic of the fabric weave. The fabric is soft and supple.

Helene

• maxwell2013
    10 years ago

Thanks for the pics Helene. The verticals with fabric on them are very nice.

• Cloud Swift
    10 years ago

We have the S-shaped fabric laminate vertical blinds on our family room window which is about 12 foot and draws to one side.

Our house is MCM so the verticals work well with it. The window faces West and I like that we can have the blinds tilted open for a view of the back yard yet blocking most of the sun.

We got the backstacker because we prefer the look when partially open - it is also quieter when pulling them open.

Our verticals are all on full height windows. I don't like the look on less tall windows where they look chopped off.

For a wide bank of short windows, what about a window treatment that can be lowered from the top like roman shades, cellular shades or vertical blinds? Perhaps 3 across if that goes with how the window is divided.

• mrsmuggleton
    10 years ago

Vertical blinds are very versatile, you can have them either fully open or just open a bit or you can draw them right back to allow full light in.

Roller blinds are either up or down to some extent, which may suit.

I wouldn't be concerned about what was in or out of fashion...it changes so fast, just think about what you like and how it works for you.

• maxwell2013
    10 years ago

Cloud swift, your verticals look great! And a very beautiful room as well. Thanks for sharing. Our window is wide but not tall and I think that the verticals may not look as good being short. I am thinking of the Alustra by Hunter Douglas honeycomb shades. My sister-in-law has them and really likes them. She has one big one across her large window. our window are two big sliders next to each other so I may be able to put two next to each other or just one big shade not sure yet. Anyone familiar with the the Hunter Douglas honey comb shades?

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I have the Hunter Douglas Honeycomb shades with the top down bottom up feature and retractable cords. I have the one that has a honeycomb inside a honeycomb for warmth. I love them so much better than the cheaper brands I have in other rooms.

• aputernut
    10 years ago

I love mine, in bedrms,I have curtains and valance on top since they are inside mounted, my blinds have a pattern and in the evening they shimmer like a brocade fabric, very pretty.

• maxwell2013
    10 years ago

I just priced out the Hunter Douglas honeycomb and they are very expensive. May have to go with Lowe's brand Levolor. There is a big price difference.

• Meefirst234
    10 years ago

Hey, guys! I was reading some of your comments and I share your thoughts on vertical blinds, they are easy to use, practical and you can control the light coming inside. I am actually looking to replace my old ones and I came across this offer, which apparently covers up all aspects:
    Suitable for floor to ceiling, patio doors, conservatories as well as smaller more standard windows in your home you can control the light or the heat and glare from the sun to enhance your living environment. Our top quality louvre blinds are manufactured from a vast range of fabrics including blackout, voile and flame retardant. Using the quality chain operating system, however, you prefer your made to measure vertical blind will glide easily to the left or right or order your blind to split bunch in the middle. Order one of our vertical blinds today for next day delivery and enjoy a simple, durable window blind for years to come.

Don't you think they're trying to oversell it, though?

• User
    8 years ago

well I guess there's nothing really new to replace them even after this length of time. I got the notification that there was an update to this thread- it's interesting spam. And, I still have the vertical blinds in my kitchen- they are really looking most pathetic (one of the slats just wore out and is now on the floor) and I still haven/t replaced them though I have spent many hours browsing online for grrommet panels to replace them.

• patty Vinson
    8 years ago

Yes, I agree with those who have also said they are. Didn't like them when they were *in* and am glad to see them gone, never to return again.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Check out IKEA panel curtains/sliders. They are dirt cheap (like 10.00-16.00 a pop), come in all kinds of colors and patterns, and look pretty neat, not cheap at all.

• blubird
    8 years ago

I see I commented on this thread in 2013. I still stand by my statement that tverical blinds are practical for some people and are versatile. The ikea panels, while lovely, still don't have the ability to adjust the light level as do vertical blinds..they a re either open or closed with no choices in between and if they're open, they provide no privacy.

• Ru Peter
    7 years ago

All the window treatment snobs! There are verticals that are gorgeous AND very expensive out there. WHAT is the reason someone would say 1 inch mini blinds are "nicer"? Like people said, it "reminds" them of "apartments". Psychological LOL. Meanwhile, the first time your dog slobbers on your delicate $800 Hunter Douglas Honeycomb (which I paid in 1993), or when the strings get filthy dirty you'll be sorry you got it.

• PRO
    sv5422
    3 years ago

I love vertical blinds. I have 2 large sliders and 2 large windows. Windows have horizontal faux wood blinds. All white. Both sliders exit to the deck. I can open or close them or pull back half way. I have had all the fancy styles of verticals over the years and spent tons. Now, I just use plain white PVC. They are a fraction of the cost; bright and easier to clean then the fabric or backed ones. I have had all types. My decor is more minimalist modern style. May not work for other styles, but don’t discount them out as an option.