SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wi_sailorgirl

Can we talk drywall texture and paint sheen?

wi-sailorgirl
13 years ago

I think this is more a post looking for your personal preferences because I don't think there really is a wrong answer to these questions.

I'm dealing with mostly new drywall in a renovated area (one of the living room walls is a combination of skim coated old drywall and new drywall) and I need to decide on drywall texture and paint sheen.

My preference, I think, would have been for smooth drywall throughout. While that is probably possible in the bedrooms and bathrooms (all new construction), the living room, with its high walls, and cathedral ceiling (on a roof that we ripped apart to straighten as best we could because it was sagging horribly) would be a challenge for even the most skilled drywall people. It's been recommended to us that we not do smooth walls/ceiling in that room.

So, given that assumption, what is the least offensive texture? I hate sand, and I don't care for any kind of trowel-type finish (I'm coming off of hugely textured walls and I really want to be as far away from that as possible). Knockdown textures that I've seen look messy or something and orange peel is pretty darn busy.

Would you continue that texture in the other new rooms just for continuity? (and if we're worried about continuity, we have some issues: the kitchen is orange peel and the other two rooms downstairs are the hideous thick texture, which has to stay, at least for now).

Then I need some help on sheen for the walls and ceilings. I prefer a satin sheen for all the trim. One wall in the living room and the wainscotting on the rest of the walls is random-width paneling painted in a satin finish. With the cathedral ceiling, the walls sort of flow into the ceiling. Both will be the same color (BM Mascarpone, same as the trim), so should I stick with one sheen for all of it? What should that sheen be? Matte? Eggshell?

Your assistance and opinions are really appreciated as I've reached the point in this renovation where I feel I lack the ability to make decisions and, frankly, I'm just sick of them.

Comments (15)