SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alex9179_gw

My Grandma's new "studio" :)

alex9179
10 years ago

My aunt just sent me the photos of my grandmother's new digs. She has been living in a retirement community for several years and it came time to move her into the assisted living section. She wasn't happy about giving up her 1 bedroom apartment, but this was necessary and I think my aunt, cousin, and grandma did a fabulous job! You'd never know the setting was so clinical just looking at the pics. They've managed to make a glorified hospital room look like a chic studio. It's a wonderful example of the impact decorating can have. She's had a lot of traffic by her room, which tickles her to no end!

Some background. My grandma was a decorator for Sears for many years before retiring and her sister owned a design business. My aunt is very talented in this area, as well as my cousin. These are all things that she has had for many years. I'm so happy that they were able to use so many of them and can't believe how good it looks! So many things that tug at my heart in there.

This is the entry. My mom made the stained glass mirror.

Her sofa that she has had for decades. That fabric wore like iron. Her sister brought the screen back from market for her (decades ago).

The other side of the seating area. You can see a bit of the twin sized bed. It's placed so that you don't see it until you are fully into the room. The two drawings of the little houses were done by one of my cousins and are where my grandparents were born.

Comments (23)