SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellic_gw

Ideas for finishing Living Room

KelliC
10 years ago

I'm finally coming to the end of putting my living room together. I finished painting the living room yesterday. The color still needs to go into the attached dining room but that will come next weekend. I have a nice ottoman I got on craigslist for $100 that I still need to reupholster in red, along with my small white ottoman and blue pillows. I also plan on getting new side tables. The current ones are Ikea lack tables that were painted and the tops covered in wallpaper. Cheap and nice for a time, but I need real furniture now.

My main need is ideas for the vertical space. I have nothing in the corner really between sofas and it seems bare. The area above the couch, loveseat, chair, and TV also seem so bare. I have some artwork for above the sofa but I'm not sure if it should be hung straight across about 18 inches above the sofa, or if I should get different artwork. I do have 2 ornate carved frames with an 18x24 opening. I also have an 18x18 red and gold painting I was thinking of placing over the chair.

I'm also wondering if my mantel looks off.. or what to do with it. It's very shallow so whatever I put there must me as well. I was considering placing a bigger mantel, however the curves of the wall mean a lot more cutting and work than I really want to put in. Any input is greatly appreciated. This is my first time being able to really decorate how I want.

PS: The opening to the side of the living room is my sunroom and where my dogs are spending a lot of time while I paint. This will be the last area to paint and put together.

Thank you!

This post was edited by KelliC on Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 2:54

Comments (31)

• andee_gw
    10 years ago

Love the rug and red pillows!
    I think the picture above the mantel needs to be lowered. It seems suspended in space. It doesn't really help your vertical challenge by hanging it that high. You might try taller lamps on the side tables next to the sofa. And the flower arrangement on the bookshelf -- try having a more horizontal arrangement, rather than flowers going straight up. It calls more attention to the ceiling height. Can you put the torch lamp in the corner and move the bookcase closer to the TV?

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had the picture lower for a while and for some reason it just looked wrong so I raised it. It's about 20 inches from the mantel where it was 12 before. Maybe I should try putting it at 16? I can try to move the bookshelf over, but it's actually hiding a ton of wires for my routers that are on top of it. Do you think having somewhat taller end tables would work versus new lamps? I just spent $150 on those :X I could buy something to elevate them possibly.

• Related Discussions

Need help/ideas finishing our living room area!

Q

Comments (3)
    Ideas- Add maybe 3-4 prints down the wall to the right of the fireplace that are personal/meaningful- and sophisticated (Not big box typical) or some tall narrow piece of furniture or plant kind of a thing. The wide fireplace and big wide tv make the room seem low, but it could be the pictures. Just want to make the room seem taller. Smaller coffee table. Too much big rectangle stuff in my opinion. But, a round coffee table can take up a lot of space- so careful. Going to add a rug? Tall and narrow items at the ends of the fireplace to help cover the tv cords. I think you could squeeze one chair in but not sure about two. Can you tape off the floor for sizes to see how much space they would take up to see what you think? Add some color and texture to your accessories, but not too matchy matchy. Again, personal and sophisticated. And not a bunch of sayings! Oops- I maybe just gave you more thoughts about what not to do... Nice that you were able to open up the space!
    ...See More

Living Room/Dining Room Ideas Needed!

Q

Comments (4)
    J Castellanos - Sorry, you didn't deserve that in your thread. It's just that these Houzz "pros" are supposed to know not to pop into a thread with the sole intent of advertising their own products, and that is what the aforementioned "pro" does repeatedly. It's tiresome. Now, regarding your decorating issues ... What is on the wall across from the sectional? I see you've got your TV and console set up on the one wall, but wonder if you could move to the wall opposite the sofa and then "flip" the sofa around so that it's open to the fireplace? As it is now, it doesn't look like the fireplace gets much enjoyment by those seated on the sectional. I'm thinking that if you could rearrange things a bit, you might have space for a desk behind the sofa on the wall where the TV is now. I would not move the dining set into the living room, as that will cramp the space.
    ...See More

Want a modern living room, dining room; layout ideas needed

Q

Comments (27)
    Agree with lynartist get someone knowledgeable in to look at the walls. Shifting the color used makes a huge difference. I would not have the walls smoothed or made shiny. But there are all sorts of ways to approach this and end up with a great looking home. Consider moving the functions of the two spaces. A modern dining area with a fireplace, even such an ornate one, could be spectacular and marry well with a more intimate USED space for conversations, drinks, and even just solo book readin'! Making the switch would also de-emphasize the fireplace and allow it to look its very best. A bit of a paradox but look at many old European houses and you'll see it again and again. My other preference would be to have a wood refinisher take down the shine on the floor. Congratulations and I hope you let us know how this progresses.
    ...See More

Living room/dinning room ideas

Q

Comments (2)
    Let’s see more photos. You need area rugs to define the spaces.
    ...See More
  • Gracie
    10 years ago

I'd also lower the picture and remove everything from the mantel. The vases are too close to the edge, and the owls may only be a distraction with the picture lowered.

I think you have enough red--it gives the appearance that you made a deliberate effort to add an accent color and went shopping for red. Also there's the "two of each" matching going on, which I've done myself. I'd try to break up some of those pairings. Also, your lamps are short and squatty, so you might think of using taller ones.

The TV corner does need work. I'd try the live plant to the right of the TV and angle the bookcase in the corner. I'd prefer a smaller chair in the corner. I think I'd try to find some type of round artwork in a different material to hang on the wall over the chair and repeat the circles of that great rug. I could see some circles used on pillows too. I think for that reason I don't care for the three B&W photos. I like the idea of repeating the geometrics somewhere in the room.

Those are some of my observations to get you thinking. A drawing of the floor plan would help.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    10 years ago

First thing, move the items on the mantel in; they look like they're going to fall off. I like your canvas pics. And I also like your bird pillows; mind telling me where you found them?

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've had that mantel empty for a long time and always get people saying it looks bad lol. Up until this week I had the artwork 12 inches above the mantel and nothing on it but my incense burner. The vases are on the edge as it's so shallow those are the only places it fits. I thought it looked okay empty as well but everyone complained when they came over so I gave in.

I already spent a lot of money on fabric for reupholstering the ottomans so unfortunately those will still be red. I could change some of the pillows to another color though. I was originally going to get a cream rug but I found that one at Ikea and fell in love with it. I have two cane chairs in my garage that I was planning on refinishing. They need to be painted and reupholtered. Do you think one of these would work well there and I could put the other chair in my sun room? What color should I painted these and reupholster? I don't really want to do red or brown but I'm not sure what else would work in here.

I never thought of using circular artwork but I like the idea of that. The other artwork isn't black and white but is more cream tones.

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The pillows were found about 2 months apart at Marshalls. Before those I had these beige pillows with maps that didn't go with the room at all.

The canvas trio was from Ikea, and the canvas above the fireplace was on clearance at Meijer, a grocery store, oddly enough.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Your home is so pretty! I agree with emptying the mantel of the smaller items. I would take the picture down to set on the mantel and just lean it. Or place it just barely above the mantel... like this:

[Transitional Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2112) by Boston Interior Designers & Decorators Rachel Reider Interiors

[Contemporary Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2103) by Los Angeles Media & Bloggers Kara Weik

{{!gwi}}

I might leave the gold vase on the mantel and/or look for some taller candlesticks to use as a pair on one side.

I think the 3 prints will look great on your wall above the sofa. Just don't hang them too high, maybe 6" above the back.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

here are your pics

• lolauren
    10 years ago

I agree with Olychick on the mantel. The art needs to be leaning or just about 6 inches above. For a height where you can view the art comfortably and without it looking odd, I would imagine the top half of that fireplace wall isn't there. It's not a place you need to draw our eyes. Once the art is lowered, you could place a couple of small topiaries on either side to add another layer. (How deep is the mantel, exactly? They might not fit, but google 'topiaries on mantel' if you don't know what I mean.)

I also agree that everything currently on the mantel needs to go. (The items on the outside... the vases.... definitely need to go. They look dangerous and/or placed wrong. If you have a vertical piece like this, it looks best right above the columns. Anything outside of the columns looks odd, typically. In your case, pieces should be where there is wall behind them, too.)

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Olychick! I figured out how to do it after I posted this lol.

This is the mantel and how deep it is:
    {{!gwi}}

I'll have to fill those holes and repaint so I'll probably move the art down this weekend.

What do you guys think about something like this for above the chair and loveseat:

{{!gwi}}

If I have 2 or 3 on each wall would it tie the room together more or is it best done on only one wall? I tried to move the DVD shelf, however due to the wires it can't be in the corner. I can try to get some longer cords and get a wire box to hide them under.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I like the texture and colors of the spiral baskets and agree they'd look nice with the loveseat/sofa, but they compete with the rug. They don't have that same clean, contemporary vibe as the rug. Don't try to duplicate the spiral. Try some bolder graphics with artwork and other fabrics. IMO, the bird and budding tree motifs seem to take the design in a different direction than the rug and painting over the mantel.

Is your new ottoman fabric a solid red?

This post was edited by may_flowers on Mon, Oct 28, 13 at 13:09

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I like the art propped on the mantel in the photo olychick posted. How do you keep a large piece like that secure? Seems like just propped, it could slide off when a door slammed hard or a storm shook the house.

This post was edited by marti8a on Mon, Oct 28, 13 at 13:11

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Marti, you can put a picture hanger on the wall and attach the picture wire onto it, just leaning it away from the wall. Or, if you have a wood mantel you can pound some small nails/tacks into it to hold the edge of the picture from sliding forward. Or you can use museum putty to hold it in place all along the bottom of the frame.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Okay I've read your posts, but I think we need an additional picture to really understand your room and provide ideas and suggestions that will really work for you.

I've quickly drawn up what I understand to be your living room, but there's a missing view. I see a barrier for a pooch. Many of us have fur babies to deal with. Can you provide a picture that illustrates the opening so we can see how your loveseat affects the opening? Also, maybe a few dimensions on the room please.

In the meantime, I've adjusted one of your photos and lowered the picture over the fireplace. From all the posts, I think we're trying to get you to view the fireplace, complete with mantel & picture above to read as ONE element. The mantel is quite small to accommodate accessories because it's not deep enough to layer items in front of one another. If you had 2 reddish glass skinny items, like bottles in different heights, you might be able to place the 2 on the left end of the mantle, but once the rest of the room is finished, your attention might be focused elsewhere and not need anything on the mantle at all.

After I altered your picture, it seemed to me that perhaps the flower picture might not be tall enough for the room, so I took your floral triptych and located it over the fireplace. Not much color though, so I thought maybe an effective addition might be a DIY twig sculpture of painted red bamboo or branches to run along side the 3 pictures. Still not enough effect so I placed the items over a contrasting painted wall. Not sure brown it the right color.......would have liked to match the charcoal black of your fireplace surround, but you don't seem to be heading toward charcoal with your selections. What do you think?

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

May_flowers - I wasn't looking for spiral baskets per say, just the idea of that basket texture. I really hadn't thought about how the items go together other than color. I initially had beige pillows with maps on them, then got the bird pillows. I was looking for a cream rug, but then Ikea had a sale on this rug so I got it. Then my mom was shopping at Meijer and found the wall art and brought it home to me. The last things I got were the red and orange pillows as they were on clearance at Macy's. So everything was kind of bought here and there, not looking for a specific idea.

This is a closeup of the 4" x 2" swatch I have:
    {{!gwi}}

I've had the painting leaned there for the past 3.5 months actually haha. It was just there for storage along with my scentsy warmer, my owl tealight holder, and my egyptian jar. This is what it looked like:
    {{!gwi}}

I liked it like this but my mom and friends all said "when are you going to hang that thing up." I know the clock may not be the right color of wood to go with everything else, but my grandfather built it himself. It goes with my dining room set and my hutch that my grandmother picked out when they got married:

{{!gwi}}

I've really thought about doing a chocolate accent wall above the fireplace. The only reason I didn't was that I don't have corners in my house, all the corners are rounded so to paint that wall as an accent I have to tape the entire 8 feet up and then it still won't be a completely straight line. If you look at this you can kind of see the curve:

{{!gwi}}

I do have a larger copper-colored piece of art. It looks like a giant metal ceiling tile. The only problem with that is it has a slight green tinge to it. The color is like a penny that has some green spots. I'll take a picture of it and some measurements when I get home :)

Here are some better pictures of the opening, both pre-moving in and with Sasha posing for you.

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

If you stop the paint at the outside corner, you can tape it to stop the paint right on the curve. Or you can run the paint to where the walls stop, like in the picture.

Is the tile room a dining room? porch?

Saw this table in your picture. I would place it in the corner between your loveseat and sofa so you have a tall enough table to hold a 30" table lamp.

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The other room is a sun room. It has 4 windows and a patio door to my backyard. I do have that table and will be getting a table of similar height that is circular with a door for storage. I wanted to refinish/paint these but I wasn't sure what color.

Where the clock is the wall actually curves again and my bathroom door is there. I'll take a picture tonight of a few other areas where I've taped off and you guys can tell me if you think it'll look okay. as you can see I have no moldings around my openings to the other rooms so I've had to tape off there. I had a chocolate brown paint already that I've used to paint some furniture. It's a satin just like the rest of the room so it should work. I have most of a gallon left already.

These are the lamps I have now:
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99861123/ I just spent quite a bit of money on them :/ I previously had two tall skinny lamps on my side tables, but I got these after the cats kept knocking them over. I could always move these to another room I guess.

I was thinking of putting this one in the corner where the torch is and not having a table lamp:
    {{!gwi}}

Then I was looking at this lamp:
    {{!gwi}}

or this one:
    {{!gwi}}

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I'd be careful with the reds. I see pinky red in your ottoman fabric, orangey reds in the flower picture, and both in the pillows. Not sure what the rug spiral is, but maybe a true red? I like the orangey reds the best with your chocolate sofa.

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The fabric isn't a pink red when in the light at my house. That was taken at work right now under our fluorescent lights. The general idea for the reds was more dark red and fall colors. Hence the orange as well. The fabric is more like the one linked. I took the swatch with me when I got my rug and they're pretty close in color. The red pillows are a little off from the ottoman color though. But for $5 each I didn't really mind that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ottoman fabric

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Heres a bigger picture of the colors in the rug:
    {{!gwi}}

I was also thinking about painting the attached sunroom Lucious Mango by Glidden. I want it to be bright and I wanted to keep it in the reds/orange/yellow family

This post was edited by KelliC on Tue, Oct 29, 13 at 14:23

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay. As requested.

Dimensions of room:

{{!gwi}}

Here is my other artwork:

{{!gwi}}

And I have dimensions of my furniture:
    Couch 91"W x 35.5"D
    Loveseat 63"W x 36"D
    Chair 40.5"W x 38"D
    Big Ottoman 36" x 36"
    Small Ottoman 20.75" x 21"
    TV Stand 41.5"W x 16.25"D with 49" TV
    DVD Shelf 25"W x 5.75"D
    Clock 19"W x 12.25"D

for the dining room I have a 48" circular table and hutch that measures 44"W x 19"D. I have an elliptical right now between them but that may be going into my bedroom within the next month (I hope)

{{!gwi}}

• loribee
    10 years ago

Love the original piece of artwork, propped or hung really low. It adds a great pop of color and interest.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

I admit that I haven't taken the time to measure everything to see if this layout will work, but I was just wondering if there wasn't a better layout for your room that didn't fight the position of your angled walls.

Have you tried something like this? See below. Pulls your furniture away from your walls, and brings your seating together in one spot while creating a definition between your dining area and living room.

Like I said, not sure with the size of your furniture this will work, but I thought is was worth a try.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

I suggest you might consider using the brown embossed plaque on your ledge in a composition of items.

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beverly - I don't know how that will work with the TV but I can try it. I need to move that elliptical first lol. I LOVE that idea for the ledge. Where did you find that set of two lamps? I think those are what I'll be going for.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

KelliC, I don't know if this plan will work. Only move the sofa and check the placement, It's petty long, not sure it will work. If the sofa doesn't work, don't move anything else because it won't work.

Every place has lights like that. TJ Maxx HomeGoods. I have something similar on my ledge and it works great to add some interest up there. I think I Googled 'rattan paper lamps' or something similar. Turns out these particular lamps are floor lamps, but I know they make them smaller. Not sure there is enough room for the brown embossed plaque. Measure first.

Found lots of great items on IKEA in RED that you might want to add to your house.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rattan Lamps

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That ledge is 4 feet tall at least and the plaque is around 34" so it will definitely fit. Ikea has some lamps that would work for super cheap too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea lamps

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh and Beverly, Thank you. You are an amazing designer. If I could afford it I would definitely hire you for a consultation for my whole house.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

KelliC, Very kind words. Let me know how things turn out. You can email me too.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

KelliC. If the walls around your fireplace stay the the same paint color as the room, what you need above the fireplace are objects of strong contrast to the paint, like the woven patterned baskets, or the assemblage I illustrated combining 3 prints and the twig/bamboo wall sculpture or something like this large and full of contrast and color.

This mirror you found with the silver, rather traditional frame compared to your other furnishings, will just blend into the wall, and really do not much to add texture and interest to your room.

It appears to me that you have traditional objects in the dining room and then contemporary objects in the living room. I think you have to make up your mind which direction your heading.

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well the dining room set and clock are more traditional I'm guessing (I don't know design styles). The dining set was bought by my grandmother in the 1940s/1950s and now that's all I have left of her. And the clock was handbuilt by my grandfather. Again, all I have left of him. So I don't plan on changing those anytime soon.