SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

Complicated question about color wheel color schemes.

jterrilynn
11 years ago

I'm trying to make sense of the way I decorate. I think I unusually follow a combination of analogous crossed with complimentary color schemes (but this is where I need clarification). Here is where my confusion starts... My walls and one sofa and one chair/ottoman is varying shades of pale yellow as well as the upper half of my painted kitchen cabinets. My floor and bottom of kitchen cabinets are varying shades of red/orangey/coral and I have several pieces of furniture in varying shades of coral. I have a few decorative items in a sort of TEAL. My confusion on figuring out what I'm doing comes from the fact that I have read that the complementary color (teal) should be across from your Mother Analogous color on the color wheel. So, I have an equal-ish amount of my analogous color I think (various shades of oranges and yellows). The yellows sort of turn monochromatic at eye level with the walls sofa & chair and upper kitchen cabinets. The varying shades of orange in my analogous scheme are on floor, lower cabinets, chairs, settee and lots in the art on the wall. The orangey corals pop so would the orangey shades be my mother color even though I have a pretty much equal amount of yellow & orange shades in my analogous scheme?

How do I determine my mother color in my situation and is a mother color necessary?

Is it against rules to have your complementary color come off a non-mother analogous color?

In most all instances of my present and past decorating I have not consciously used an analogous scheme mixed with a complimentary but it is the way it has always turned out. However, in almost every instance my complementary color did not feed off the mother color in the analogous color scheme but on the next up to the mother color.

Is that a no no?

Or, is there another more complex name for my style of color scheme?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm