SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momto3kiddos

Homeschool room in Formal Dining Room or Office?

momto3kiddos
10 years ago

We moved into our newly built home over the summer, and we love everything about it. We did, however, add more time to the morning commute to school than we had anticipated with the move. Because of that and many other things, we are strongly considering homeschooling next year. My kids will be in 4th and 2nd grade, and I will have a four year old who will most likely attend a local preschool 3 days per week.

I know that a "homeschool room" is not a necessity, and we will likely end up homeschooling all around the house. However, I would like to have a home base for all of the school materials and a room set up comfortably for learning. We have a home office that is 10x12 and currently my husband and I each have a desk in this space. I use mine frequently and he never uses his. We could remove his desk and put a common table, bookshelves, white board, etc in here to make it work. It is next to the side entrance to our home and close to the kitchen with good light.

The other option would be the formal dining room, which rarely gets used for dining since we have a breakfast nook and generous seating at our kitchen island. It doesn't have doors that can be closed, but it is separated somewhat from the kitchen and living area. It is much larger at 14x16.
The drawbacks are that it is directly off of the foyer, but most guests use our side entrance anyway, and my desk and files are not located here.

In both of these locations I would be OK with things being left out on the table/desk overnight and such since they are both somewhat removed (not visible) from the heart of the house. I know some of you out there homeschool, or have some experience with this, so I would love your feedback.

Comments (8)