SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
topkicker

Pics...Need Help..2nd Bedroom..MIL coming!

topkicker
15 years ago

Hello Everyone...

I am trying to pull this room together and I need some help. Its a king brass bed (not my size for the room but gotta work with what I have) and a 1920's Mahogany

nightstand which you can barely see in the pics. The walls WILL be painted a darker warm yellow (ICI KANSAS CORN) Right now they are a light warm yellow. Carpet is berber with greyish tones. This is a log cabing so natural wood trim. I want to paint the dresser its from the 1940's. I really want it to pop! Just not sure what color. The top is WHITE and real slick (perhaps formica) and I don't think paint will adhere to it. So it will have to stay white. What do you ya think???? Ohhh yeah the blinds will be a dark mahogany bamboo. Of course the bedding will stay as in the photo.

I doing traditional through out the cabin with some rustic here and there.

We just purchased this place and its a work in progress. It was a foreclosure.

Any ideas will help me out....I am pooped from cleaning this place (it was a HUGE DISASTER) and I think all the chemicals have fried my brain!

I have tried in vein to insert these into the message but I give!!!!

Thanks!

Lisa

Comments (23)

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I do not believe that that dresser is from the 1940's. If it has a plastic top it can still be painted and you do not have to leave it white.

It would help to see pics of other rooms in your house as to what your taste is. It is hard to picture "traditional with rustic".

One thing you could do is a sort of "rustic funky" and paint the dresser a Burgundy close to the color in the bedspread. Change out the hardware to something less delicate.

Is the brass bed lacquered? You may want to age the brass to take away the shiney-ness.

A mirror over the dresser is a nice touch in a guest room. Do you have room for a chair? Guests like a chair in the room.

• topkicker
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Believe it or not the dresser is 1940's. I know its looks like some of the dressers from the 70's but I have the history on it and it is 1940. By rustic I mean natural pine floors through out remainder of house and pine walls. The two guest bedroom only have the natural trim and they are sheetrock.

The bed is "brass" not sure about the lacquered??? It will stay as is.

I have a mirror for the dresser and my other furnishings(which includes a chair :>) . Walls have to be painted first. Main thing right now is the color of the dresser.

Here are two more photos of the cabin. Please remember I just moved here and these photos are from the real estate listing. I have not started at all in living and the kitchen.

• powermuffin
    15 years ago

It sounds like you will have a red and yellow room so far. If you want to add another color, you could paint the dresser a rich dark green and antique the finish a bit. I would talk to your paint store person about paihting the top, because I don't think you will like the outcome of leaving it white. Once painted you could put and tapestry type runner on it or some colorful printed scarf on it to protect it. I do have to say though, nothing cabin-like about the comforter. Elegant but not rustic. :]

When you have the colors finalized, you can add accessories to coordinate. A mirror, pictures (family maybe?) and vase for flowers, etc. What fun to decorate that room!
    Diane

• topkicker
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's what I thought too Diane. I was thinking rich dark green but the top was throwing me...

I am not the bears and moose head cabin person. I like "a small touch of it here and there" I have had the comforter for long time and just trying to use what I got...

Will talk to my guy at the paint store on the top...We will see what goes....HA!

• User
    15 years ago

I just wanted to tell you how much I love that bedding. Rich looking!

• moremoremore
    15 years ago

I would actually leave it. I think it will look lovely when the room is painted...I'd do a nice green accessory on it, but not paint it green...

BTW, my own MIL is coming on Thursday! :0 I'm painting and taping and hanging LOL I feel your pain!

• HomeMaker
    15 years ago

When you go to the paint store, ask for a high-adhesion primer and use that on the top of the dresser.

A light scuffing of the top first, perhaps with a sanding sponge, would be a good idea. Then paint it whatever colour you like.

Just make sure that you wait the recommended time after priming, before painting, or you may get an interesting finish you did not plan for.

I like the idea of a burgundy/red related to the bedding.

Also ask the paint store for marine spar varnish, oil base polyurethane, water born polyurethane or acrylic urethane to use on the top for a longer lasting finish.

DO NOT USE ANY LACQUER PRODUCTS!!

If you think that the top of the dresser will get a lot of abuse, you could top it with a pretty dresser scarf or have glass cut for the top.

Good luck.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

As is, the dresser actually compliments the bedframe with the gold tones to it. If you were to paint the dresser, I'd also really recommend painting the bedframe. There is a recent thread on using a product called Rustoleum--in that thread they were painting light fixtures, but I think you would get just as amazing results as they did and it seemed fairly simple. IMHO, a shiny brassy look does not really go with the vibe of your home, but it can still look elegant. Do a search on cliff_and_joann. Joann was the one that painted her brass chandelier and you can get an idea what you could do. They have a lot of wood in their home and would be a source of many ideas for yours.

As for your dresser, I'd like to see some type of antiquing/glazing done to it--perhaps start with a brownish red and the rub/buff on a layer of black. I can't advise the technique, but there are others here who can. It has lovely lines and lots of potential.

Here is a link that might be useful: Joann's thread on her chandelier

• greenthumbfish
    15 years ago

From the pic, it looks like the drawer fronts are mismatched color-wise. Why not just paint the drawer fronts white to match the top? Against a dark warm yellow (hope that means gold) I think it would work nicely.

Green??? Not with that comforter.

• mclarke
    15 years ago

This will be a guest room? For a MIL?

You will need four or five more pillows... Big, puffy, inviting looking pillows.

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

No, no, no, mclarke. That might encourage her to stay too long.
    ;-D

• topkicker
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone....
    MoreandMore- YIKES Thursday! At least I have a few weeks. We just moved across three states and company is the last thing on my list at the moment. HA! I wish you the best and hope the visit is a pleasant comfy one. I really have the best MIL in the world...Just love her to death!

When I paint I am leaving the gold trim. It will be
    painful taped. I am still leaning toward a green. Will see what I come up with.

Thanks for the search ideas on the painting of the bed. I may end up doing that after all. I will see how things come together once the dresser is painted. I use SW paint and they have a wonderful primer for the top.

Thank you for the all the nice comments on the Comforter. When purhcased it was for our Motorhome. However, we sold it a few years back and I took the bedding set out. Its been hanging around so I figured why not use it.

You guys always have the best ideas!!!!!!

Lisa

• alex9179
    15 years ago

I love your new place! It doesn't look like a disaster from the listing photos.

I know that the dresser is the project your heart is set on, but I wouldn't do anything to it right now. I agree with the others that it goes with the focal point, the bed. Honestly, I would paint and work on the accessories first. Then, when you have loads of time to play, you can try out a technique.

When you do it, I think a distressed black would be great! Using it along with dark woods and/or other black accents would be very elegant. So pretty against the deep, warm yellow walls.

I love pairing elegant and rustic together. It looks personal. Why not make that bedroom different? :) Invest in a gorgeous persian rug, yummy fabric for the chair and window treatments, and elegant brass lamps (with black shades!) for the occaisional tables. I'm getting an English Manor House vibe.

• topkicker
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL Aunt Jen!!! :>))))))))))))))
    mclarke- Since the walls are not painted yet and the bed has to be moved I have not brought out all the fluffy pillows and accessories yet...There is eight pillows that go on that bed. So I think that is covered..

alex9179-Ahhhaa I found my taste is not alone...Elegant and rustic. I agree it does look personal. I have already
    been checking out some persian rugs...

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

topkicker, Sorry I did mean I did not believe you about the age of the dresser. It was just an expression and I guess it came out wrong. You know the history or the dresser. Plastic topped furniture was very common in the 1950s but there is no reason that it could not have been used earlier since it was after all already invented for other uses and used in commercial establishments.

BTW your home is gorgeous. Rustic with clean modern lines, yet not MCM, and a kitchen to die for.

Also, I asked about the bed being lacquered. Lots of time real brass has a coating put on it to keep it from tarnishing, and keep it bright and shiny. The coating can be removed and the brass can age naturally and can develop a patina. This look goes well with rustic. Also if you do want to paint the bed make sure you know if you are painting over the actual metal, or over a plastic protective coating it may have. You may want to remove any coating before painting. Some manufacturers use a lacquer, or spray on a polymer coating to keep the brass from tarnishing. Some add a plastic sheet coating.

• sedeno77
    15 years ago

I had that same dresser as a child in the early 60's!

• texashottie
    15 years ago

Another vote for leaving the dresser as is, or at least until you paint the room. I can't see it painted green either with the bedding. :)

Love the dresser, btw. Has a French Country feel to it.

• kareen
    15 years ago

Your new home is really great. The way you were describing it , I was afraid it was a wreck but it has great bones and once decorated to your liking I am sure it will be lovely.
    I also vote for not painting the dresser for awhile. It looks to be in pretty good shape and with the right assecories it won't look stark.(check on over at the holiday and christmas site for ideas too) I can definately see something burgandy/red on the dresser as well as the green and maybe a piece of clear crystal.... and one of those drawer handles is crying out for a good think tassel! I am looking forward to seeing the finished project.

• topkicker
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dilly- Actually the dresser is 1948..So pretty close to the 50's! HA... That is really good information on the brass. I have been lugging this thing for years and its been in my basement at four previous homes. When I get time I will take a close look and see what the story is on that. I like the idea of making it more aged (if possible)depending on what I find. Very good ideas and thank you so much for sharing that knowledge with me... Will let you know what I find.

I had an entire white french provenial bedroom suite when I was a child. Canopy bed and all. It was a late 60's thing too. This dresser is a lot slimmmer on the sides and has more curves. Just some neat history on stuff..Its funny how time repeats itself.

To give you guys an idea of "how bad" this place was when we bought it. I guess the previous owner locked their animals in here for very LONG extended times. Especially in the finished basement. The cat pee would kill a Marine! LOL...You could crack the door and pass out. We had a "forensic" cleaner come out and lessen the smell by 80%. Then we were able to at least go down and start getting the junk out. Once all the junk was out, he came back and did some more and it was 95% better. We purchased a huge dehumidifier and kept it on full blast for two weeks. A family member is in commercial janitorial and she sent me some stuff to finish cleaning the walls and concrete. Now all is well in the basement.

Upstairs was ankle deep in dog hair. Every air vent was clogged and the returns were stuffed full. I don't see how they even breathed in here. Cat poop on the counters on the stove in the stove. We were not sure we could even save the refrigerator. I tackled the stove and DH did the refrig. FOUR HOURS... The grease was in multiple layers and once I started disturbing it the rat poop started coming to the surface...OMG....I almost lost my lunch a few times. We were able to save both of them.

The Master Shower was soooooo bad it took us three days and lacquer thinner to remove the dirt. The shower doors even after lacquer thinner and everything under the moon including bleach and pressure washer were unable to be saved. DH will end up tiling the entire shower but we were trying to at least get it where we could live here. We have no vanities or linen closets (cabinet man is hard at work as we speak) So we are unpacked except for that. What little sheetrock that is in here is in great need of paint. The biggest shock was it has a HUGE master closet and not one rod or shelf was ever installed in it! People lived here for four years like this.

It was a diamond in the rough and it only took us walking in for one second to realize the potential. People tell us we love punishment! HA! We call it sweat equity...
    I just can't wait for the painter to get here...He is going to start in Master Bath and go to the MIL room. Then we will get through Thanksgiving and start again.... I can't wait to hang some pictures......

You guys will see the finished products, I promise.... I know I am gonna need a little help here and there.....
    Ohh yeahhh every door in this house was either scratched down to bear metal or wood. DH has been one painting fool!!! He is "Charlie Daniels" of the spray gun...LOL!!!

Took us a week and half just to clean the first story so we could move an air mattress in....Lots of fun when you are moving across three states...Ahhhh yeahhh we nuts!!!!!!

Lisa

• sable_ca
    15 years ago

I agree with waiting to paint the dresser. With a darker wall paint it may look fine just as it is. As it is now, it's a cute example of reproduction French Provincial. You could eventually shop consignment stores for an accent piece to go with it, such as a somewhat "frou-frou" lamp in cream and gold. This would look good with your lovely bedding.

When I have guests coming, I don't rush to make changes in our home - we make sure that it's as clean as possible, and otherwise, people have to take it as it is. IMO you make fewer decorating mistakes that way.

I don't think that guests, even MILs, examine the decorating motifs in their rooms as much as they look for comfort! That means extra pillows, fluffy ones, as someone else said. Plus a good lamp and chair near the bed with a nice soft throw, and on the dresser top a pot of flowers or a little green plant (which will last for awhile even in low light), a few neatly stacked magazines and books, a water carafe and glass, and a basket or bowl containing nice soaps and lotions. Oh, and a mirror and a wastebasket and Kleenex. In our guest room I hung a full-length mirror inside the closet door (very inexpensive and no worries about it matching anything). Nice hangers in the closet are also a good thing. Mine are from Joy Mangano.

• bbstx
    15 years ago

topkicker,
    What a trooper to take on a project like that! DH and I bought a house that had had untended cats and dogs but it wasn't even close to your project.

Have you looked at sealing the concrete in the basement? We didn't have to do that, but we were told it might be necessary to get rid of the smell. Remember to change your a/c and heating filters much more often than you would ordinarily do....once a month or so until it is obvious you don't have to do it so often.

btw, the only color I can see on the dresser is black with the gold trim.

• topkicker
    Original Author
    15 years ago

BBSTX- Thank goodness we didn't have to do that either. We have been changing the filter every two weeks just "because" and now its fine. Every return and duct has been "sucked" clean and sanitzed.

Sable-Thanks for the water carafe and glass idea...Liked that...I have all the other items as my stables for my guest bedrooms. I'm in no real extreme hurry. I have until Thanksgiving. No room in the house is even done yet. However, this will be the first one done. Its the simplest and needs the less of the work compared to the other rooms. Dare to guess what the color of the other guest bedroom is right now? Try lilac with blue and red shades and it DID have dark navy blue carpet. Carpet is gone. YEAHHHH!!! Can't wait to see those walls and ceiling painted. Can you imagine that in a log cabin? Go figure!

I have returned from the paint store with my choice.
    It's green. We taped up the dresser and it will be primed tommorrow evening. Left to dry and then checked the next afternoon if all looks well we will continue with the paint. I will post photos when its back up from the makeover....

Today we went to a festival and I brought home a beautiful hand woven basket from one of the local artisans. I think it will be a wonderful addition to the room. It was a nice break from all the work since we got here.

Lisa

• topkicker
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Primer went on last night!!! Whooohooo...:>)

Lisa