SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northcarolina_gw

Talk me down... (thinking of a DR set that won't match house)

northcarolina
12 years ago

Is it a bad idea to put a midcentury amber-colored Heywood-Wakefield dining set (complete with matching china cabinet) in a house that has a lot of darkish oak from the '20s-'30's, "transitional" style upholstered furniture, accessories mostly from the 1990's, but really nothing from the midcentury? The DR table is one of the first things you see when you walk in -- the front door opens directly into a long room that is LR at one end and DR at the other. (This is a small postwar tract house.) We need a new DR table and I am kind of taken with this one (the china cab not so much but it seems a shame to break up the set, and it would look OK filled with books instead of knickknacks). DH thinks it would be too much of a departure from what we already have and that we'd have to do more extensive redecorating and rethinking to make it work. He is probably right since the rest of the DR furniture is dark oak. (The H-W set is about the color of our orangey oak floor. haha) I should probably look for a darker table with simple lines and get the MCM out of my system by finding a couple of small pieces for the den, where they would certainly fit in. No, I am not going to refinish the Heywood-Wakefield table in a dark color; it would look all wrong that way. I should mention that I am not one of these natural decorators who can make "eclectic" look good -- our house looks like we bought whatever we liked and could afford at the time (or got from family), over many years, and never changed anything out. Which is about how it happened.

Opinions?

Comments (25)