SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janice742

Layering rugs

Janice742
10 years ago

We did a minor overhaul of our home last fall into winter. Mostly paint, a few accent pieces and new rugs.

I would like to layer a rug over the sisal in both the family room and the sitting area.

Many of you may think that the FR is too crowded - with the sectional, chair and coffee table - but from a cost perspective and using what we had -- it is what it is, and it works for us. It's the only place we watch TV in the house.

Anyway....

Here are some views of the FR:

And the sitting area:

I was thinking of a hide -- to offset the sharp angles of the rooms/sisals. Would it be too much to have two hides?

There are so many to choose from -- this is only an example.

One in each area? If not a hide, than what?

The sisal in the FR is 12x12
The sisal in the sitting area is 8x10

We need the area rug at the back door for the doggie -- I'm open to suggestions on keeping it or changing the color... I guess I could have a small one made in the same sisal. ???

Comments (19)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I think your room looks great. I love L's!

I would add a hide, and I like the one you showed, too. I would just put it in the seating area, though (where you have 2 chairs). I think it would add to much to the TV area, since it is already visually a little crowded. If you wanted to add there, Id do it with a throw.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

I wish the base of your wood coffee table was the I finish of your barstools. It would weight the area.

On the other side of the room, I love the chairs & coffee table, and you could add the hide there, but I would recommend a hide in a black/brown and white color combination. A beige hide will just be another layer with no affect.

Do I think the room needs the hide....nope.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

There's a lot going on visually in the room already. I don't think adding a hide or 2 will help...but I do think in pic 3 that someone wants to go out.
    So cute!

• theclose
    10 years ago

Agree with mtn- do a hide in sitting area. But also agree with beverly in doing a hide with more impact/differentiation. I did a zebra hide over sisal in a sitting room. Love the look!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Not sure where those accent colors for the pillows and throw are based, but I darkened the base of your coffee table to match the barstools & changed the pillows to something for crisp and graphic. Your room doesn't need the rug, but the trunk you're using as a lamp table seems a bit dwarfed compared to your chairs and the coffee table.

With 2 dogs myself, I know the need of a washable rug at the back door. No way to avoid it.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Janice, you have a very lovely room! I think it is perfect just as it is.

• Janice742
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow... great recommendations!

Beverly - I like the idea of darkening the coffee table. It actually came in that finish -- and the more that I think about it, it would tie the rest of our house together nicely.

As for the trunk -- we just added that a month ago - it is from my Aunt who passed away. One of the few things I got from her... but I see what you mean about it seeming dwarfed.

I'll start my search for a hide... has anyone ever purchased one online?

• theclose
    10 years ago

I ordered from here: http://cowhidesinternational.com/index.asp

Had a fine experience.

• Janice742
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Mamorella. I remember seeing that site a while ago when I first thought about buying a hide.

I just don't know how dark to go.... here is the link to their darker hides

Here is a link that might be useful: hides

• theclose
    10 years ago

Personally, I like the dark brown or brown with the white sides. I like the contrast. I am not a huge fan of the reddish but it would probably look ok too. I think that comes down to personal preference.

• Janice742
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do you think this one is too dark for the sitting area?

I like it - and the size is good.... but I'm not sure if I should pull the trigger....

Here is a link that might be useful: hide

• theclose
    10 years ago

Ohhh, I love it! That is a great color. Will give a pop but still a neutral. Now, take that with a grain of salt. I love color and contrast and am somewhat daring with decor.

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

Love that one Janice! And like the dark color against the lightness of the sisal. One question, will you be using that existing coffee table? And if so, will it disappear on the hide? They appear very similar in tones.

• Janice742
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kellie --
    Yes... I will be using that coffee table. It's hammered copper -- excellent point about it disappearing.

What about this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: another hide

• Janice742
    Original Author
    10 years ago

or this....

I like that these are still dark, but have more variations in them. That first one that you commented on seems to read "solid brown"...

Here is a link that might be useful: another option

This post was edited by Janice742 on Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 10:11

• rosie
    10 years ago

Sounding good. Crowded or wonderfully inviting and interesting? Especially in winter. It's all in how it's done. I'm still trying to figure it out.

I do think if you're going to create an inviting coziness at the bottom of the room, you do need to carry it up. Pairing an airy spare look above with a cozily layered look below is likely to do no good for either look. Visual dissonance.

In your case, the obvious start would be at the windows. Simple curtain/drapery panels gathered on rods, which would also create a greater feeling of shelter over the winter. (Later, if you wished, you could hang a second, lighter or heavier layer.) Hang them from just above the transoms. Move the chairs at the end of the room in from the windows,and with them deepen the layers of focus in that area.

BTW, I do know that, in general, dark colors are easier to layer, but also colors that are similar in value, i.e., degree of lightness/darkness. Very generally speaking, lessening the strength of contrast (on a wall, say) even as the amount of detail increases is a way to make it work.

There are various ways to accomplish a layered room beautifully, though. If you find pictures of rooms you love, you can analyze them to figure out how their elements are arranged and why they work.

• Janice742
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Rosie.

Window treatments in this area will open up a Pandora's Box of issues... and quite frankly, are not in the budget.

The windows wrap the entire back of the house - 14 to be exact - and it is difficult to determine where to start and stop when it comes time to window treatments. While there are two definitive areas - we treat them as one from a design perspective. I'm not sure if the space would appear "finished" if we only did window treatments in that corner where the 2 chairs are.... It may look like we ran out of money - or steam - or both.

I don't particularly like ready-mades - and just from a length standpoint, we would need to go custom.

Just the hardware alone would be cost prohibitive.

• louisianapurchase
    10 years ago

From the view opposite of the sitting area where you see the corner of the sectional, I could totally see the zebra dyed cow hide in the sitting portion of the room. I am sure in real life the more brindled ones would look fine, but in my mind's eye I see more contrast working better. I feel that the brindle might just fade into its surroundings.

• louisianapurchase
    10 years ago

Here's the picture of one of the zebra's. I forgot it above.