SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
atheymd

Mom & Pop's House (& note to SquirrelHeaven)

15 years ago

Hello,

We are repairing my grandparent's home inside and out and things were going along swimmingly until we started thinking about a color for the vinyl siding for the 2nd story (dark red brick with black or dark grey mortar is on the first floor). Hubby defaulted to white and had already started the soffit when I mentioned a desire for color on the top... but having said that, finding the right color is proving to be quite a challenge. I need your help.

We do not want to paint the brick (my grandparents are deceased so we want to keep some of our childhood memories alive).

Also, Alcoa is the only siding our little remote town here in Maryland carries. The man on the dock of the siding store thought Woodland Green "put up nice"; but does it go with dark red brick?

Here are links to 2 photos of my grandparent's house.

http://photos.ivillage.com/images/photos/resize/gardenweb_Garden%20Galleries_1223771772479_586992D.jpg

http://photos.ivillage.com/images/photos/resize/gardenweb_Garden%20Galleries_1223771986285_829587D.jpg

Thanks very much,

Chere

athey12@yahoo.com

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

Comments (24)

• 15 years ago

Great house ! I looked at a few samples of the siding available to you and It would be a real change I think because it is such an earthy tone. I think done with the right trim combination it might work . Hope some of the
    ps ers show up to do it up for you . I know Squirlheaven has been pretty busy on here lately.

• 15 years ago

Love the house, do they have a red to use similar to what was there? I like the red.

BTW you might want to post the colors on here that you're considering so anybody that wants to help doesn't have to go and search all over for them.

• Related Discussions

JUST a Mom

Q

Comments (4)
    I had'nt read about the "Just a mom". Thanks for posting it,shows how intelligent a mom needs to be and can be. Every woman knows how many job descriptions she needs to be a mom and house wife. Yeah moms!!!!! vickie
    ...See More

bio mom update...good news!

Q

Comments (8)
    That's great, Doodle. So glad she took it well and is going to go. Continue to offer her some words of encouragement here and there along the way... I'm not a religious person myself, but I think there's an awful lot to be said for a sense of FAITH in general in reaching goals. Or HOPE, as the place is named... it empowers a person to try and reach for better things. It's great when people find the strength they need, and believe that they actually CAN, and go on to make positive changes. If that's helped because they believe in God or Mr. Peanut, so be it, and more power to 'em!
    ...See More

On a similar note - welfare abuse

Q

Comments (5)
    Disgusting. I see ads on Craigslist, on a daily basis, from people stating that they have section 8 (housing assistance) vouchers for 1000+ dollars and they are looking for rent to own properties. This really ticks me off. My husband and I worked hard on building our credit and saving for the down payment and fees on our first home. Nobody gave us anything. Yet these welfare queens come along and use government money to buy a home. I just don't understand the "pop out a kid every year so you don't have to work" mentality. My Mom worked 2 jobs when we were growing up to put a roof over our heads. She was a single parent, was married to an abusive military husband and her primary language was German. She taught herself English To get a job and that's how she survived. She didn't get child support until I was 15 and she didn't get any gov assistance. The problem today is that things are too easy. If people keep getting everything for free what incentive do they have to work?
    ...See More

just a mom, or????

Q

Comments (3)
    I borrowed my occupational description from a friend (another home economist). When we took time off to raise our families, we simply stated we were doing 'field research'. Considering home ec covers: family living, child care, cooking, sewing, household management, budgeting, use and care of household equipment.... well, you can see what I mean.
    ...See More
  • 15 years ago

Thanks very much. The latest candidate for color is Alcoa's Lakeshore Fern. See attached.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down to

• 15 years ago

Did you look at the linked thread below. It has red brick with a softer green.

I think you don't want to go too dark on the green with red brick as it could then give you a "christmas" effect.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red brick house.

• 15 years ago

That house has a lot of charm!

First of all, I wouldn't do vinyl clapboard on that house, I'd do vinyl shake. Look at Cedar Discovery, Handsplit Shakes on the Alcoa site. Colorwise, I'd sure stay away from any green - as mentioned, it's the xmas thing. I also think it's limiting in other ways, like landscaping, to have 2 colors on a house as opposed to one color and one neutral. I'd probably be looking at Pebblestone Clay, possibly Sandtone although that might look wimpy next to the red. Harbor Gray could also be stunning, crisp white trim - yum!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cedar Discovery

• 15 years ago

I agree with dlm2000 wholeheartedly! I think the style of your grandparent's house requires a shake look on the upper part. A horizontal flat siding will not do it justice, IMHO. But, the shake look is probably more expensive and may be more than your budget allows. :(

• 15 years ago

I am presently working my husband towards the shake look siding; had suggested it originally but got shot down b/c of the price. Since you-all are mentioning it being best to set off Mom & Pop's house, I think it's impressively sinking in :-)
    Stay tuned.
    BTW, I like the gray.

• 15 years ago

Just wanted to let you know I saw your post and clipped the picture. Not sure exactly when I can get to it, as I keep putting other things off!! I am so bad.

Glad to hear someone has mentioned staying with the shakes. I'd love to see you do Hardi or something on your old house, but maybe dlm2000 can talk to you about the vinyl shake product they used. Her husband is an engineer and they did a lot of research beforehand.

• 15 years ago

Thanks so much Squirrel, I am having trouble visualizing it; you do a great job with PS.
    Alcoa has a series of siding as shakes (Cedar Discovery), expensive, but my husband is warming up to the idea. We would have to drive a considerable distance to get Hardi; would it be worth it?
    Chere

Here is a link that might be useful: Alcoa's Cedar Discovery site

• 15 years ago

Thanks Lyfia,
    I did see "Red Brick House"; was Googling for help on "Red Brick House" and found it; it's what prompted me to ask for help here.

• 15 years ago

atheymd - you mentioned that this is(was) your grandparent's house but that you are repairing it and wanting to keep some of the original look for the memories. Are you living in it? Another family member? Are you the owners and renting it? Will your DH be doing the new siding or will you hire that out? If he's doing it, has he ever done any vinyl siding? I ask all these questions because they will influence what type of product you choose to use.

We used a vinyl shake product by a company called Cedarway - as squirrel mentioned it came from a long exhausting search and a very picky husband! But the 2nd choice product was Alcoa which is also very nice quality - so if you end up with vinyl and that's the only mfg. you can use, it's a good option.

If you want pictures of the Cedarway on a house I can get pictures for you later.

• 15 years ago

dlm2000, My husband bought my grandparent's home for me in August 2007 for my s-s-s-sixtieth birthday. We bought it from my cousin after her mother (my aunt) passed, as her mother lived in it for awhile after my grandparents passed. My aunt lived there as a single woman, a hoarder, and left no one inside; so it was in a lot more disrepair than we imagined. I might add that we bought it BEFORE the market became soft. Long story short, it has become a black hole for $. We have rewired and replumbed, new sheetrock, all new kitchen, bath... you get the picture.

No one is living in it presently, our single son will probably live there after it's livable and he can thrive there when the punch list isn't quite finished.

We have a man who's helping after his regular job as a long time construction worker. He built a home for us, so we are quite confident in his work. My husband has also done this type of work but presently is recovering from rotator cuff repair and I am glad b/c he's too old (70) to be up on a ladder (but he doesn't think so). Hopefully our helper will have the bulk of the high work done before my husband is released by the dr. to do overhead work.

I am very grateful to you for sharing your exhaustive research. I am happy to hear Alcoa is good quality as that is what is sold in our little town's building supply store and then whatever we choose will probably have to be ordered.

Yes, I would love to see your photos.

athey12atyahoo.com
    Chere

• 15 years ago

Obviously we're still in process and I was testing shutter colors in the first picture, but you can get an idea of what the product looks like. Vinyl siding - shake or clapboard - is not a good product for a novice. If you can't get someone who has experience with it, you may be better off with another product. You have nice window trim and detail on that house and it could get really botched up unless someone knows what they're doing and is willing to take the time to do it right.

{{!gwi}}

It gets pretty intricate matching elevations on all sides and trimming out around windows. Plus you have the rafter details and don't want to lose that. My husband is doing this work so if you have any questions, I can ask for you.

{{!gwi}}

• 15 years ago

Charming home and perfectionist's work. We see what you mean about the trickiness involved in the siding application; and one must not be in a rush. What color siding did you use? Very nice, I like the crisp white windows next to the color "shake" vinyl used; did you go with the black shutter?

I'm now looking at Alcoa's Natural Cedar. Will you take a look and tell me what you think of this color for over dark red brick, dark grey/black mortar?

Here is a link that might be useful: Natural Cedar

• 15 years ago

You need to get samples so you can see the color up close and personal and how it works with your brick/mortar. I can promise you the color you're seeing on your computer is not accurate. Go directly to the Alcoa website, not linked through your supplier like you show here. Never mind - did it for you - here's the customer service # 1-800-962-6973. I spoke with them several times while we were hunting product and found them to be very helpful. They sent us a TON of samples in a few colors when I explained to them that unless we could see the entire system, starters strips, siding colors and corner options, we could not use their product. I did that with every single manufacturer and they ALL sent product to us, no charge. Then we had a chance to compare apples to apples and get the product we felt was best.

Unfortunately, the color choices from Cedarway didn't work for us - we wanted an Alcoa color! But they did a custom mix to match a color which is no longer availble from Alcoa.

The product you're looking at is a 2 part color system - it's solid brown with an overlay to give it the weathered look. That's exactly wht we were looking at initially, although eventually we decided against it. We looked at product from Alcoa, CedarWay, Nailite, Foundry and probably something else I've forgotten! If you contact the manufacturers, they will tell you suppliers in your area. I'd be astounded if you can't get all of them. You're only checking with your local building supplier but it's not like you're out in the middle of nowhere judging by the locations of that supplier! Right?

My best advice is don't rush the process - there's a lot of product out there.

• 15 years ago

I only looked at the side view of the house. If possible I would paint the cedar. If there are bad patches they can be replaced and painted. 20 years ago we replaced our badly worn unpainted cedar( not prettily grayed just worn away) with narrow vinyl siding because we could not afford to replace the cedar with clear cedar that wouldn't need painting(at the time I didn't like painted cedar shakes -now I do)
    I regret that need necessitated that move, our house looks a little out of place in a neighborhood that has many houses with the original shakes now painted or still the original unpainted dark brown. painted cedar houses are now the rage and premarket meltdown were more saleable than others.
    Now dont get me wrong I do like my house and we made the best decision we could at the time. I am just suggesting taking a look at that option.
    btw i am also in Md but in Baltimore suburb
    Just a thought.

• 15 years ago

dlm2000, we're in Western Maryland (Allegany County)... the supplier link is one I found on the 'Net with the particular brand our supplier carriers also (Alcoa).

• 15 years ago

Chere, I will try to fit your project in but things have gotten a bit crazy over here. If you don't visit regularly, please check back in again : ) This one might go quickly, so I may be able to get it done at a time when I must escape!

• 15 years ago

Thank you Squirrel... and if you have the color "Lakeshore Fern" in your bag of tricks, that would be swell. That color really catches my eye for some reason... and am also open to other options. Having a visual aid will be so much help. Will wait for you and checking here several times a day.

• 15 years ago

Here's just looking at colors. I put a gray in but not sure which one you're looking at. Can you drive around and see similar houses in town, for what colors you like with the brick?

That dark green looks kind of brown now, but was quite mossy green when I was working on it. What do you see?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• 15 years ago

I think a classic white would be pretty. A soft white rather than stark. Here's with sage or burgundy accents. It would be great if you could salvage the shingles and integrity of the home, as CooperBailey noted.

HardiPlank is more expensive but lasts a lifetime and can be repainted down the road to update colors. There are safety precautions with the dust for installation, as far as DIY though. John Bridge of John Bridge Tile Forum thinks its the best. You can see what he's written on it at his website.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• 15 years ago

bumping this up. Here's a random light gray:

{{!gwi}}

• 15 years ago

bump

• 15 years ago

Dear Squirrel,
    Wow, this really helps us to make a decision as to color... and each gives a different flavor, and I like all of them. The OUTLINING really adds interest and a nice detail as well, something to consider for sure.
    I so appreciate your PS skills! :-)
    Still studying them. What fun!!!
    Thanks,
    Chere

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars58 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!