SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Stained cabinets - how shiny? & water or oil top coat

User
9 years ago

I just want to start working on the cabinets, but I can't make up my mind what topcoat. I'll be staining oak cabinets with GF Brown Mahogany gel stain. This is the color.
Tntw
{{!gwi}}

How shiny should stained cabinets be? Satin or Semi? I was pretty sure I wanted Satin.

Saw many reviews saying the Gel topcoat in Satin was way too shiny. Emailed GF and she told me of the three topcoat choices I had (talking about satin), that High Performance had the least sheen.

My other option for over gel stain is Arm-R-Seal. Don't know how shiny the satin is.

ARM-R-SEAL
oil based, ambers over time, mineral spirit clean up
Saw this under FAQ - note 'frequently'
Q. I'm experiencing whitish streaks in the finish when using Arm-R-Seal (Satin)...what can I do?
A. We call them friction streaks and they occur when you press your applicator too hard when leveling the finish. Sand the surface and apply another medium to heavy coat. Spread out the Arm-R-Seal across the entire surface and lightly level our (not wipe off) the finish in the di-rection of the grain."

Well that was a turn off and makes me think of my miserable stair project.

HIGH PERFORMANCE
water based, fast dry time, easy clean up

Both have high ratings. Both are recommended for kitchen cabinets. I'll be brushing or wiping which is also fine for either.

This is the first DIY project I've felt intimidated by. It's go time and I'm look at the mass of cabinets, realizing I need to do both sides, and be patient to allow dry time. I'm pretty determined not to mess this up.

I'm leaning towards the water based High Performance for obvious reasons. Doors will be done in a 12x13 room. One window. I do have a respirator, but it's annoying to wear. I remember staining the island with Minwax oil based stain in a larger area and I had to leave for a few hours because the fumes were bothering me that much. I'm just wondering if the cabinets will lack in richness if I use the water based over oil and if I want the cabinets to amber over time.

It was noted in a GF video I watched about choosing top coats that on the maple cabinet they used the HP water base finish, it did still amber over time, but it was because that's what maple does, not the top coat. Will oak do this too? Cabinets are red oak.

I'm going to call GF Monday, but wanted your opinions. Thanks!

Ha, just wait until we install hardwood.

Comments (10)