SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmhartman

Mixing warm and cool colors

lmhartman
15 years ago

Ok, so I know this will be hard to describe without pics, but I'm going to give it a shot anyhow.

We moved into this house (new construction) 2 months ago. There are finishes I never would have chosen, but for the time being we're going to live with them. One is my son's small bathroom. He's away at college but I'd like to get it pulled together before he comes home for winter break.

The countertop is tiled in a tile very similar to the color of SW Netsuke. The backsplash is small glass tiles with colors similar to SW Netsuke, SW Ecru, a rust color, and then a little bit of tiles with a cool gray/green similar to SW Grasslands. The floor tile is warm tones, the cabinetry is a warm cherry.

The wall color is a boring very light yellowed beige.

I got samples of SW Netsuke and SW Ecru and popped them up in large swatches on several walls. The room (IMO) is just going to be TOO warm toned with either of those colors, plus I don't care for Ecru at ALL. So, I bought a sample of SW Grasslands (cool green/gray) since that color is in the backsplash a bit.

I like the color, but I wonder if it's not going to work because it's too cool considering there is so little of a cool tone in the room presently.

Are there "rules" for mixing cool and warm tones? Or can you tell me your success stories mixing the two?

I definitely want a color in there, nothing too light. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

Comments (5)