SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Update - stairs are done.

13 years ago

*Sorry about the weird spacing.

I'd say this has been my biggest DIY project yet. I'll admit I cheated and we paid the local flooring guy $60 to tear the carpet off the stairs along with removing the staples etc. I can't imagine doing that myself. I guess it wasn't a full DIY!

I'd like to give a special thanks to Dad's vintage hand sander - May he RIP, Dad's new hand sander, all the different sandpapers involved, MH Ready Patch, putty knife, dust masks, goggles, respirator, blue tape, both green and yellow Frog Tape, Purdy Cub brush, BIN primer, and SW porch and floor enamel. - Could've of done it without you guys. *cheesy grin* Actually I'll be heading over to thank Paintguy from the paint forum for the step by step instructions.

Getting to the point, here's how it looked when we first moved in a few years ago.

{{!gwi}}

I quickly decided I didn't like the stairs and painted the spindles.

{{!gwi}}

Still wasn't enough. I really hated running the vaccum on the steps. There was way too many sprayed coats of lacquer to attempt to strip and stain. My last refinishing project was a mahogany desk that's half stripped sitting in the basement. I'm in the process of looking for someone to finish it.

I didn't get gobs of support about doing this but I like it much, much better and I'm glad followed through. I'm waiting at least a month for the paint to cure before I remove the rest of the tape but I couldn't wait any longer to show a pic.

Here's now. I know you can only put so much lipstick on a pig but I think my pig is purdy. The brown is SW Woodsy Brown. I just loved Igloochic's trim too much.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

We couldn't take the railing off the wall to paint because we're finishing the basement and there's now a wall on the other side, oops. It worked out fine.

The cats were fine as long as I didn't draw attention to the steps. The huge light I had at the bottom to see and the fan just made them curious. I put them in the spare room (which they were fine napping on the bed) for the primer and paint steps and quickly put everything away before opening the door. Tricky, tricky. I don't think they've set foot on the steps yet. :)

Everyone here is so in love with any type of oak they about fall over when I mentioned or they see I painted it.

Comments (36)