SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Help me choose a bookcase for my family room!

Valerie Noronha
15 years ago

I am planning to consolidate two bookcases in my family room into a single larger one that will be centered under the right transom window. I really like the ones with the glass doors and a bottom drawer would be a plus. Right now there is a mish-mash of woods in this room, but what I can assure you is the oak stuff is on it's way out! Family room is open to the kitchen which was remodeled two years ago in medium cherry stain. We were able to do a pretty close match on stain with our kitchen table and ent. console and are currently looking into adding a hutch top to the console. Here is the area where I'm planning to put the bookcase. The purple sticky pad show the size I am considering (58"H x 42"W). Though I think I could go as large as 60"H x 48"W depening on the bookcase.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a view out into the rest of the room so you can see the other wood furniture:

{{!gwi}}

For the bookcase I am wondering if we should try to stick with the same wood/stain look or something different--like either black or distressed black.

Here are a few that I am considering (though I am very much open to suggestions at this point).

Hampton Bay (looks a tad darker):

{{!gwi}}

Oxford Black:

{{!gwi}}

Salem Black:

{{!gwi}}

Salem Cherry:

{{!gwi}}

Chesire Black:

{{!gwi}}

Please let me know if I'm on the right track in terms of the style/size and please vote either black or cherry and glass or no glass.

The other (more expensive option) is to pick one of these as an inspiration picture and have the company that is making my hutch make the bookcase for an exact match. That would have gthe obvious advantage of getting all the features I want in the style/wood/stain/size that I want, but if I can find something out there for less that fits the bill just as well that would be preferable.

Comments (11)