SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
repaintingagain_gw

How do I make this Stickley piece look good in this house?

repaintingagain
14 years ago

First, let me say, this Stickley piece is just about the only nice piece of furniture we own. :-) It was our "wedding present" from everyone (including ourselves). And we love it. It looked great in our 1920's house. I think it looks just terrible in the house we just bought.

I've been painting our house everyday during naps, and with my parents coming this weekend, and help to watch my toddler, I'm extremely motivated to paint our LR and DR.

I attempted to paint my trim a color and the walls white, but it just doesn't flow from our foyer. This such an open floor plan, I think I need "flow."

Here are the considerations:

- Ceilings and Trim will be BM Navajo White (matches our kitchen cabinetry)

- Foyer is SW Believable Buff

- Family room is SW Baguette (same strip from Belieavable Buff)

- Kitchen off of DR is SW Baguette but 15% of the color

Questions:

What color should I paint my LR and DR? They share a wall so at min. the top needs to be the same.

Should I do bottom half wainscotting in the DR, or does that not look good with my furniture style? Remove chair rail completely? Remove pillars? (The white ceiling medallion is definitely going)

I would love any advice on what colors you think go well with Stickely furniture in the Aurora finish (or any finish for that matter). And that would also compliment the hallway color of Believable Buff. This is where I'm really hitting the wall. (no pun intended)

Thank you in advance. And excuse the dust, we are putting in floors ourselves and it is slow and messy progress!

View from foyer into LR and DR:

Foyer looking into LR on the wall I painted and will repaint because it is not working with the foyer color (just like my name, I always repaint!):

LR looking into DR before floors went in:

My old house, where I think the furniture looked great:

How do I bring a little of my old house character into this house? (minus the red walls, it really won't go here)

Comments (28)