SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

Working with 12 gauge wire

jerry_nj
14 years ago

I just put a duplex outlet in an attic area where the wires are run exposed. Easy access to the wires, still my question.

The subject offered access to power via a junction box that had the feed and two branches, all 12 gauge (even though the circuit breaker is 15 amp) I added a single duplex outlet box, a deep plastic version, so lots of physical space. And on this I had only the feed line. I connected the in/out on the terminals of the duplex outlet. Even here the large 12 gauge wires were hard to deal with. Then I redid the junction box, where I had to join 3 12 gauge wires. I had the correct size twist nuts, and used the bigger 10 gauge nut to join the three bare ground wires. Here I was wishing I had a true nut type, something I cold stick the three wires into and screw it down. That may be part of the answer to my subject.

Am I just getting too old to DIY, or are these wires just plain difficult to work with?

Tips? e.g., special duplex outlets with larger screws, guess that would be a 20 amp outlet. Hum, is it a code violation to connect a 15 amp outlet to 12 gauge wire?

Happy Thanksgiving.

Comments (36)