SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthy3

shutters vs wood blinds to keep the light and view outside

ruthy3
9 years ago

Hi everyone!
So I have a dilemma, I currently have vertical blinds, and they need replacement. They break easily and get stuck, I hate them! So I started looking into replacements, and obviously fell in love with the plantation shutters in white. We just got a quote to get the whole house done, and they are way expensive! So we decided to go with room by room. But, as I started researching online, we noticed some people mention that they are great to block out the light, I thought, no big deal, only when shut right? But, the frame inside the window got me thinking... Even if going with a wide slat, some people mentioned it darkens the room, even when opened flat... I love my windows, a couple of years ago, we added 4 windows as our lot if facing a lake, straight outside!!! I love the light that comes in and of course the view, so definetly I wouldn't want to give that up... but, I love the look of shutters too!! But I am considering wood blinds in the widest slats available, trying to somewhat get the look of shutters, without giving up the light and view of the outside I believe blinds come in 3 inches wide.. I want the widest slats available to have the widest gap and view outside, specially when rolled up. I do have the existing vertical blinds pushed to one side on the windows facing the lake all the time because I love my view!(which is a concern with the shutters, as the only way to have unobstructed view is to open them and the space they would take is a concern... Anyone out there that has plantation shutters that could give me their opinion about lighting issues when not opened all the way, and the view outside? Or any of you with wood blinds? the look, the durability and easiness to clean? As far as the expense alone, I would be willing to go room by room and break it that way to get shutters, but my concern is the light I would be giving up and my view with the shutters. So please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! here's a picture of my view from upstairs... I do have windows facing this way downstairs as well .

Comments (34)