SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
st8kout_gw

This house wiring certainly can not be up to code.

St8kout
11 years ago

I went to replace an outside outlet and after shutting off all the single-circuit breakers it still had power, along with my pool pump and garbage disposal, (I started mapping out my breakers when I could not find out how to cut the power to that outlet).

There are four double-breakers. The HVAC is on the first one, but what I found is that the second one shuts down the whole house (except the HVAC) and I mean everything inside and outside, including the pool pump. Is the whole house supposed to be on just one double-breaker like that, (from there it goes to individual single-ciruit breakers)?

Also, that outside outlet, pool pump, and garbage disposal do not have single-circuit breakers. They can only be shut off with this 'master breaker' which is obviously high amp which means these 3 ciruits do not have proper overload protection, right?

I had hired a home inspector before I bought the house but nothing was mentioned about the wiring.

On a side note, the previous owner mapped out the breaker panel, but half of them are marked incorrectly. I have to wonder if this house got vandalized while vacant and someone had to rewire it because of thieves stealing the copper wiring. Every wall outlet seemed to be loose and some were missing the covers.

Comments (10)