SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pchicago

Please Help- Code Violation

pchicago
15 years ago

Here's my story. Please offer advice, suggestions, anything if you can.

In July 2007 my husband and I purchased our first home- a fixer upper in IL. We planned to rehab the entire place. My father in law has been a contractor for 30+ years and he did a majority of the work (along with help from my husband). My father in law also lives with us.

We thought that we only had to get permits for the work that we were hiring out for so we only got a drywall permit. Everything else was done by us. After about 12 weeks of work, a code inspector came knocking on our door to ask about a dumpster that we had outside (we had a permit for the dumpster). He came into our home and made us stop everything. At this point we were about 95% complete with our rehab. He said we didn't have permits for electrical and plumbing but we told him that it was our understanding that if the homeowners were doing the work then we didn't need one. He put a stop work order on the door so we ended up going to court and paying a $250 fine.

Inspectors came out and gave us a list of things we needed to change. Some of them were very minor (some outlets) but there was one MAJOR thing that they want us to do. We used a combination of conduit and BX for our electrical (we installed recessed lighting througout the house) and they said we have to tear out all the BX and replace it with 100% conduit. So basically we have to tear up our entire home to do this. Keep in mind that we rehabbed this whole place. It was a dump when we bought it (rotting floors, cat urine, unkept in every way imaginable) and we redid everything from top to bottom- new floors, windows, kitchens, bath, lighting, added a fireplace, etc. They also wanted us to get architectural drawings. We thought that if we got architectural drawings that showed everything we did then it would be ok. So we spent $4000+ for the drawings and now they still want us to change the electrical. We got some quotes to do the work and it was $8k to $10k. We absolutely cannot afford this.

Right now the situation is such a burden and I don't know what to do. I find it very unfair that they are asking us to do this. Its impossible for us to come up with this kind of money. An entire year has passed and it is still looming over our head.

Can someone offer some advice about what we can do?

Comments (32)