SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diymadness

Budget Bathroom Makeover Done! (pics)

diymadness
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I posted about a month ago about a budget bathroom makeover that I was embarking on. Many of you helped me with my work on refinishing my golden oak vanity and figuring out what to do about the very dated medicine cabinet and Hollywood lights. Thank you again for all your help.

Anyway, I have finished the project and I'm very happy with the final outcome. I'm posting some before and afters as well as a source list/budget. But first, a little background. When I moved into this house, the bathroom was the least offensive room. It had been added on in the 1990s and was just dull -- cheap, beige, and builder basic. Other, awful 70s decor was more pressing. Anyway, after 7 years, water damage in the bathroom forced me to do something. I knew that the tub surround would have to be ripped out and so I thought I would get a new and deeper tub, and since the floor needed repairing, I thought I would replace the vinyl with tile. And I decided to add a ventilation fan to prevent future moisture problems. But I had very little money for this unexpected reno, so I wanted to save everything else -- the layout, the vanity, and the toilet. The whole thing turned out to be more complicated than expected because the handyman that I hired discovered that there was a crack in the base of my toilet and extensive damage to the floor. The subfloor was also made of fiberboard, which is not suitable to lay tile on. The poor guy had to take the floor down to the joists (without touching the vanity, which I had spent forever refinishing with Polyshades.)

Here are the befores and afters:

Vanity before:

Vanity after:

Tub before:

Tub After:

Window wall before:

Window wall after:

Old light fixture:

New light fixture:

And here's a closeup of my little art project. I picked some native plants in my garden, pressed them, spray painted them silver and framed them:

Here's a list of budget and sources:

Tile from Home Depot -- $3/foot

Medicine Cabinet -- $32 (final clearance) at Homesense

Soaker Bathtub -- Home Depot, $300

Paint -- Barely Beige, Benjamin Moore

Trim -- Ivory White, Benjamin Moore

Shower curtain -- about $30 on Amazon

Bath Mat -- $20 Pier One

Light fixture -- $100 at Home Depot

Toilet -- used, $75

Blind -- Miscut at Home Depot so 50% off, $22

Glass shelves -- these were my big splurge at $60 each

Towel rod, towel ring, paper holder -- Home Depot, probably

$100 all together.

Most of the accessories are from Dollarama. The frames were $2 each. The tissue box cover was $2. The glass jars were $1 each.

I estimate that, including all materials and labour, the bathroom cost about $3800. I know that that's nothing to sneeze at, but I think it's not bad considering that the handyman had to install new tile board around the tub, new plywood on the floor, and wire in a new ventilation fan, in addition to all the "visible" work.

Thanks for looking at my new bathroom. It makes me smile every time I go there.

Comments (41)