SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stressed1

Rewiring Basement

stressed1
16 years ago

Hi All,

My basement was previously finished but due to long term water damage I had to gut the whole thing. Tear out.

I am basically going for an industrial look. I plan on just painting the walls and painting the ceiling. And to make it safe for my kids to run around in.

Immediate problems.

1. After taking down my dropped ceiling, the existing wires are crisscrossed along the joists (probably to save money on the wiring). I obviously want to rearrange the wires so that it looks nice and organized. How would I lengthen the existing wires so that I can run them along the joist(not sure if i have to go parallel or perpendicular). I like the look of metal conduit along the ceiling.

2. There are outlets in the basement, but since I cut the wall framing down, they are just hanging from the ceiling now. And the metal boxes are rusted on the backs. What is the proper way to mount an outlet to a cinder block? and the type of material.

3. Damaged wire. I found a piece of wire stapled to the joist so tightly it looks like it pierced the sheathing. How do I fix a nick like that?

Thanks all for your help

Comments (20)