SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cebury

Monitoring kwh from A/C Unit

cebury
12 years ago

I'm monitoring the KWH drawn from my 1989 Carrier 48NLT 030 gas-pack that is being replaced soon (live in CA). It is fed by two single-phase (110) legs from my main breaker/panel.

Question: I was told the unit would draw (approximately) the same current from each line. Is this true?

I installed a Current-Transformer w/Watt-Hour meter (EKM-15E 120v) onto ONE of the legs and was told to double the amount to get the total KWH drawn. The watt-hour readings show the AC using ~1200 of the total 1500 kwhs my home has drawn the last few weeks. That's 80%, sounds too high.

I do know my baseline home draws around .5-.75kw baseline w/out any major appliances running. The AC itself draws about 3.4kw when the ambient temps are 100F+ (~400w just for the blower), under 3kw when in mid-80s -- that reading is in-line with the manuf stated electrical specs. Of course, the other appliances that draw anything significant are the range, oven, microwave, and dryer.

If memory serves, I was also told I could fit BOTH legs through the CT and it would monitor the kwh accurately -- as long as I reversed one of the wires using an S loop, otherwise together they would read 0. That sound accurate? I only have a few days left of monitoring, otherwise I'd run out and get a 2nd EKM and just install it.

Comments (16)