SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drmeow3

Is my house really grounded?

drmeow3
15 years ago

Sorry this ended up so long

I live in a house that was built in 1960. Almost all of the receptacles have 2-prong outlets except for those in a former patio that was converted to a family room we think in the 70's and the outlets in the bathroom. I have always assumed that the whole house was not grounded - just the family room when it was added - and that the outlets in the bathroom were replaced but weren't really grounded.

We went out and bought some three prong outlets. I thought we could just ground them to the outlet boxes and be fine (before reading our home repair book). Since I had already pulled the old outlet out (I did not see a ground wire), I went ahead and installed the new one rather than put the old one back in, in part to see if it would even fit. Just out of curiosity I decided to test it using my GRT-500 circuit tester and the tester shows that it is grounded!

I then checked all the outlets in the house that I knew were grounded and they all test as grounded so its not my tester (testing the two prong ones using an adapter shows them as not grounded).

Half of my mind is saying, "if the tester says they are grounded, they are grounded" while the other half is saying, "HUH? How can that be when, even assuming the house has a ground wire and the outlet box is grounded, I didn't attached a ground wire to the box."

I THINK that the ground screw is touching the metal of the outlet box (it was a VERY tight fit and I had to screw in the screw to get it to fit) so I was thinking that was probably how it is grounded but, being the paranoid non-electrician I am, I feel compelled to get confirmation from someone who knows more than I do and reassurance that I can now install the other 3 prong outlets without concerns.

Is it possible/likely that the house is grounded but no 'loose' ground wire was left in the outlet boxes to attach to a new outlet?

If the outlet boxes are grounded but there is no ground wire to connect, should I do anything else to this outlet or am I OK as long as my tester says its grounded?

If the other outlet boxes are larger and the ground screw doesn't touch them, can/should I attach a wire from the ground screw to the box to be OK?

Thanks so much for your help!

-Maureen

Comments (23)

• skyline_electric
    15 years ago

You can buy "Self Grounding" outlets. They are identical to normal duplex receptacles except the bottom screw passes through a small bonding clip on the yoke. Apparently this and perhaps all your boxes are piped in with metal conduit, which is providing the ground path.

Hope this helps!

• drmeow3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. Its a start. But it also raises some additional questions. What is a small bonding clip on the yoke? By metal conduit, do you mean that the wires are run through the house in what are essentially metal pipes or is it something about the wires themselves?

-Maureen

• Related Discussions

I bough my birds a really nice home apprently!

Q

Comments (5)
    oh Brandy...lol it SOUNDS funny and brings back memories YEARS ago when I could not walk to the back of the yard to hang up clothes, without being attacked. But they are grey looking birds. No idea what they are. But they too sure used to pick on my head. Attack just for the fun of it. Thank God now we are all getting along...so far lol Doesn't that remind you of the movie The birds roflmao Lucy
    ...See More

My first home: Am I over doing it really with size?

Q

Comments (26)
    I am amazed of the responses that I have gotten. I noticed that a lot of people have doubts about me completing this project. I feel like if you don't have goals, then of course you can never expect to complete anything especially on time. Of course I have a time of 6 months, but if it is not finished then oh well. But I do have a goal. We have subs and back up subs in case something goes wrong. My Father In Law is a GC so he is assisting us with this project if needed - He is the over watching this project double checking everything. As far as size wise, we have finalized everything at this point and we will not be making any changes. We have came in under budget so that is good and we have allowed about $30K for price increases and little things that may happen such sub changes. I have what I call a low/med/high bid for everything. We have opted to go with the med, but if something happens we are prepared to make the changes as necessary. As far as increasing the space later, it probably will not happen, I am not really one to move walls and add on to things. I think someone above mentioned do I have a binder - yes, I do - I am very organized. I am not going into this blind sided, I expect things to happen. But thanks for the advice. All of my bids/subs are ready. We are getting some bids on some finish work things. Things that we can do, but it is easier to pay someone.
    ...See More

above ground pools below ground- really?

Q

Comments (5)
    MrsHanson, we have an above ground pool which we put inground in 2005. It is not one of the brands which are designed for inground, however, we decided to take the risk and see what happened. Since installation, we have invested a 10 foot aggregate surround around the pool. We know that when the liner goes, so goes the entire pool because it will collapse. We had a leak in the liner two years ago, and a great deal of water was leaked, but fortunately, my husband was able to find the leak and patch it. Ours sticks out above the ground about one foot. Keeping our fingers crossed for this year! But, we feel seven years has given us great return on the investment. I will be happy to post a picture of it if you would like, we just took the cover off for summer and it appears a little green, but when clear, it's a beautiful crystal clear blue pool! I will look up the brand as well if you are interested. It's 33x18, and was very inexpensive. Hope this helps! and good luck
    ...See More

Do I really need a chimney liner in my 50 year old house?

Q

Comments (1)
    You can get a second opinion, but don't have another fire until you receive the all clear.
    ...See More
  • drmeow3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I looked up metal conduit so I answered that question. I think it is possible that is the case. I think there are pipes in the attic that are not water pipes - that would explain where they came from.

• chris8796
    15 years ago

I would agree it sounds like you have self grounding receptacles with grounding through the conduit. I would not consider this to be grounded. While you have a return path back to the panel, you do not know if it can support the amperage needed to trip the breaker in case of a short. You need to run a wire if you want them grounded.

• hendricus
    15 years ago

Metal conduit is/was an accepted ground. I had wiring professionally added in a small business 15 yrs ago and there were no ground wires, only conduit. It worked very well because we tripped a breaker on the first day due to loose wires in a mixer that had a motor swapped out by helpers. The main guy was rewiring ovens and failed to check their work. We went from a place with 3phase to another building with single phase.

• terribletom
    15 years ago

In addition to conduit, houses built in '60 often used so-called "BX cable". Whether the term "BX" (actually an old brand name) is applied loosely to AC (armored) cable or MC (metal-clad) cable, the flexible metal sheath will provide continuous box-to-box grounding of metal j-boxes so long as proper connectors are used, etc. You could also have a mixture of conduit and AC/MC cable.

Have you looked at your panel and/or j-boxes to see what kind of wires were used for the small (i.e., 15- and 20-amp) circuits? That ought to give you a clue. Metal sheathed? Conduit? Some of both?

Most receptacles will end up "grounded" when they are screwed into a grounded metal box, whether they have yoke clips or not. That's because they're designed to ensure connectivity between yoke and ground prong. In fact, the installation screws provided the usual method of grounding them during the 60s, before ground wire terminals on fixtures started appearing to meet increasingly stringent code requirements for bonding.

Strictly speaking, though, where a receptacle has a ground post, the ground post should be connected to a grounding wire.

• petey_racer
    15 years ago

"Most receptacles will end up "grounded" when they are screwed into a grounded metal box, whether they have yoke clips or not."

This is NOT true. The ONLY safe and acceptable method like this IS a self-grounding receptacle with the yoke clip.

If the receptacle is three prong, and not self-grounding, a valid ground wire MUST be attached to the green screw on the device.
    This is unless of course it is fed through the load side of a GFI, but that is another discussion.

• drmeow3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'm definitely learning more about electricity than I can get out of my "Complete Home Repair Manual." I appreciate everyone's help.

I went to Ace Hardware today and they had never heard of a self-grounding receptacle. Of course, it is Ace Hardware and not an electrical supply store ...

Right now I do not have the time to get the whole house wired with a ground wire (and from what I read, it is recommended that one not simply run a ground wire but actually replace all the wires) ... I have a piece of furniture that is being delivered and the outlets in question will be hidden behind the furniture. I need to have them read to plug in what needs to be plugged in before the furniture blocks the outlet. Right now they are 2 prong outlets and everything that plugs into them (clock radio, bedside lamp, cordless phone) has a 2 prong plug but we thought it would be good to replace the outlets while we still have access to them. What I don't want to to is make them even less safe.

Also, I really don't want to invest in rewiring the whole house if I don't need to ... if the metal conduits are accepted ground, I'd rather invest my house-repair dollars on something else (BTW - we've had some electrical work done on the house ... ran a subpanel to the garage for a complete kitchen remodel, another subpanel to the pool equipment, and brought some questionable wiring up to code and none of the electricians have ever told us we need to rewire or run a ground wire ... which, given they could sell us more work :), I would assume they would tell us). We are going to be replacing the main panel in the next month or two but the furniture is arriving before then.

I am curious about some of the conflict - what makes the box grounded? My understanding of ground is that by connecting the outlet to the ground wire, any excess current gets routed through the grounding wire to earth rather than through the person touching it to earth. My limited (very limited) understanding is that if the metal conduit (which connects to a metal outlet box) acts in the same way as a grounding wire in that it directs the current through the conduit to earth instead of through the person to earth, if the box is directly touching the ground screw and the ground screw is screwed in all the way (so that it is touching the part of the outlet where the ground wire would be touching), isn't that the same as the ground wire touching the outlet? The ground screw isn't insulated so wouldn't the current travel through it from the outlet to the box, to the conduit, to the ground?

• drmeow3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

terribletom said:

Have you looked at your panel and/or j-boxes to see what kind of wires were used for the small (i.e., 15- and 20-amp) circuits? That ought to give you a clue. Metal sheathed? Conduit? Some of both?

Honestly, I probably wouldn't be able to tell even if I wasn't so intimidated by the panel to not touch it except to turn off a breaker if I have to do work in the house. For me, electrical systems are a little bit like computers - I know just enough to know how little I know! I'm willing to replace lights, switches, and outlets but anything beyond that I get a professional in to take care of it. And, very frankly, I'm darned proud of the little I can do :) I get VERY excited when I make a minor electrical repair and it works! (I confess, I feel the same way about plumbing - although plumbing doesn't intimidate me as much as it intimidates my husband :)

• brickeyee
    15 years ago

If you can verify that the metal box IS grounded, one of the holes in the back of the box is threaded.

A ground screw can be installed and a pigtail (green or bare wire) the same gauge as the circuit conductors (#14 or #12) installed from the screw to the receptacle.

If you cannot verify the grounding as AC, MC, EMT, or another accepted type using a volt meter to check for ground (or a plug in tester) is not really adequate, though many people do it.

The quality of the ground should be verified with a ground tester to ensure the ground path can carry sufficient current to trip the breaker.

• terribletom
    15 years ago

"Most receptacles will end up "grounded" when they are screwed into a grounded metal box, whether they have yoke clips or not."

This is NOT true.

In the context of the OP (where the poster wondered how her outlets could test as grounded and further theorized that the ground screw must therefore be in contact with the box), I submit that the statement is true as written.

We agree (read carefully) that where a receptacle has a ground screw, it should (ok, MUST) be attached to a valid ground wire.

• petey_racer
    15 years ago

You know what Tom, you're right. I didn't read it that way but I see what you mean.

• drmeow3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help.

What are the risks of replacing the existing 2 prong outlet with a 3 prong outlet under these circumstances (i.e., with some, but quite possibly inadequate, grounding)? Does doing so actually create an additional risk (besides making people incorrectly believe that the outlet they are using is grounded)? If a two prong, ungrounded outlet carries a certain amount of risk, does a partially grounded three prong outlet carry GREATER risk than the two prong outlet or is it merely that the risk is not eliminated as it is with most 3 prong outlets? If there is a greater risk, I can always leave the 2 prong plugs in since I don't have any 3 prong devices that plug into those outlets.

• brickeyee
    15 years ago

Just leave the 2 prong receptacles in place unless you can either be sure of an adequate ground, or use a GFCI receptacle to protect the new 3 prong receptacles.

Every GFCI receptacle cones with stickers for "GFCI protected" for down stream receptales, and "No equipment ground" for 3 prong receptacles protected by a GFCI upstream.

Note that things that need a ground to work completely like plug in surge protectors will provide only limited (line-to-line) protection without a ground.
    If the voltage on both hot and neutral rise (called common mode) the surge protector will provide NO protection.

• drmeow3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Short of bringing in an electrician to check, is there any way I can test if the house is adequately grounded?

• petey_racer
    15 years ago

What do you mean by "adequately grounded"?

• drmeow3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What I mean by "adequately grounded" is good enough - to paraphrase chris8796,

How can I test if I have a return path back to the panel that can support the amperage needed to trip the breaker in case of a short.

brickeyee said

The quality of the ground should be verified with a ground tester to ensure the ground path can carry sufficient current to trip the breaker.

What is a ground tester? Is it something I can get and can actually be used by someone who doesn't really have any electrical training?

• petey_racer
    15 years ago

"The quality of the ground should be verified with a ground tester to ensure the ground path can carry sufficient current to trip the breaker.

What is a ground tester? Is it something I can get and can actually be used by someone who doesn't really have any electrical training? "

Absolutely not. Even many electricians are not equipped to effectively test this.
    It is more a visual check than anything.

• brickeyee
    15 years ago

"The quality of the ground should be verified with a ground tester to ensure the ground path can carry sufficient current to trip the breaker.

What is a ground tester? Is it something I can get and can actually be used by someone who doesn't really have any electrical training? "

Absolutely not. Even many electricians are not equipped to effectively test this.
    It is more a visual check than anything."

The first thing to do is visually check for the presence of a grounding conductor, or the use of AC, MC, or metal conduit.

1960 is old enough that NM (non-metallic) sheathed cable was in use, but the grounding (bare or green) conductor was no uniformly required.
    Initially grounding conductors even were allowed to use a smaller gauge of wire (around #18 solid).

Thee grounding conductors can sometimes be found wrapped around cable clamps on the outside of boxes.
    Some folks had no idea what to do with them.

AC (armor clad/cased) provides grounding through the metal armor and a thin bonding strip n side the cable.
    You will notice AC cable clamps have a set screw and make a solid connection to the armor.
    MC cable normally has a run ground wire since the bonding strip is not present.
    Metal conduit can also provide a grounding path.

If you want to test for grounds at least use a 60 watt light bulb and a pair of leads.
    If the bulb lights brightly between hot and ground the ground is carrying 0.5 amps.
    A meter or receptacle tester is only using a few milliamps of current.

Larger electrician shops that do commercial work may have a bond tester that can be used to verify grounding connections.
    They cost a few thousand dollars and see use in larger structures to verify that the ground in some remote corner of a building is still adequate.

There are ways to rig up suitable loads to check ground capacity, and I had a setup like that before purchasing a full up bond tester.

It has also seen use in checking lightning damaged electrical installations along with a megger and a TDR (Time Domain Reflectometer, radar on a wire) to find insulation damage and cable breaks.

• drmeow3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow - this stuff is WAY beyond me. It looks like we have to replace our panel altogether so we'll find out then what's up. In the meantime, I guess I'll leave the 2 prong outlets in place and keep using adapters.

• drmeow3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So, I took out one of the outlets again to take a look and discovered that there is a copper wire that comes into the box from the wall and is attached to the back of the box (this is in addition to the negative and positive wires). Perhaps that is the ground?

• brickeyee
    15 years ago

"So, I took out one of the outlets again to take a look and discovered that there is a copper wire that comes into the box from the wall and is attached to the back of the box (this is in addition to the negative and positive wires). Perhaps that is the ground?"

That would be a ground.
    They are allowed to be bare, green, of green with yellow stripes.

Disconnect it from the box, pigtail it with two free wires.
    One wire goes back on the box screw, the other connects to the green screw on the receptacle.

• drmeow3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks brickeyee!

I do think it is odd that they took the trouble to add a ground wire (it does look like an after the fact thing) and didn't put 3 prong outlets in.