SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardeno17

Cape Cod with mixed siding?

gardeno17
10 years ago

I need some advice from folks with far better aesthetics than I have. I have a simple, cape cod house with three dormers, and I am thinking about what I can do to spruce up the exterior.

As you can see, right now everything is lap siding painted beige. The dormers look especially plain to me, and there's not really enough room to add shutters.

Specifically, I was hoping to get advice from folks on:
(1) Should I consider replacing the dormer siding with shakes/shingles ? I can't find any pictures online with Cape Cod houses with mixed siding and am having difficulty figuring out whether this would look great (many new homes have mixed siding and look nice!) or awful.

(2) If so, then should the dormers be painted a different color than the body of the house?

(3) If so, should the area around the door also have shingle/ shakes to provide some continuity?
(4) Should I get a new raised panel garage door with windows? Something like this (http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/842619/842619000558lg.jpg) Or would it distract from the rest of the house? Something like this:

Other thoughts? Moldings?! Would be grateful for suggestions. Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!