SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wags848

Help Me Pick a New Fireplace Surround!

wags848
11 years ago

Greetings! After many years of disliking our fireplace because it is too close to the windows and over-dominates the room, we are ripping it out. We will install a direct vent fireplace, & I now need to select a surround to build or purchase. I'm excited and also anxious...so many choices...and I want to get it right!

A photo of our current family room is shown. I've been leaning toward a simple white surround with granite or marble facing. Not sure if we need an overmantle; would use the current picture on our mantle or a large mirror. I want the fireplace to be a focal point but not a "wall hog" like our current one.

But, alas, the confusion and indecision has taken over! I was thumbing through the current Pottery Barn catalog and began drooling over a beautiful cast surround pictured in a room scene. I will attempt to post a photo from the catalog. So classy, warm, pretty, & more unique to me than a wood surround. More expensive, too, but I want something that will make me happy...might be worth the extra cost!

Please give me your opinions & thoughts!

1) Does anyone have a cast surround? Brands I'm researching are Dracme, Fireside Designs & Omega. Opinions? We will try & look at some this weekend, as I have yet to see one "live."

2) I'm aiming for a warm, open feel in the room. Not too traditional...more eclectic, modern cottage, "classic with a kick" vibe. Does the simple wooden surround or cast one get your vote?

Any input appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Ellen

Comments (93)

• wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

island - Thanks for your input! Love the "giant has been evicted" analogy. LOL. So true. Once the brick was only halfway down, the whole room just lightened up and felt so much better.

We were on the fence re the overmantel (we are getting the cast surround). Per your point, don't want another giant. However, it's a light color, and it may help to keep the room bright. However, we may cover most of it with a large picture, or we may not even use it (it's a separate piece). We'll just have to see once we get it in-house. The price was a steal, though, so we decided to snag it.

Prior to the drywall teardown, we had painter's tape up showing the dimensions of the new surround. I've cut and pasted a lot of options. I do like the PhotoShop idea. My teen is a computer guru, so I am giving him that task. :)

Good luck with your search for ideas for your surround! Try Houzz.com if you haven't already. I found so many inspiration pictures there & saved them to my Ideabook. Now I've started another Ideabook with flooring ideas. That is the next step for us. This is truly a snowball project! Funny you should mention the fan; I just told DH we may need to swap it out. Then there's the furniture.... :)

• SaraKat
    11 years ago

Wow! Just taking down the bricks is a HUGE improvement, so much more light and bright and even brings the windows into perspective. I love people who are doers. That must have been a lot of work and it already looks great. I'm proud of you! I love the cast surrounds. We have a friend who put one in a very traditional library and it looks fabulous. They have all sorts of styles available, they chose a very simple style, not ornate, and it is to die for. Their library has beautiful wood paneling and it just pops with the light color of the cast stone. So pretty. Wish I had a picture of it to post, but they sold the house and built a new one after completely renovating the old one. I think they like to reno.

Anyway, I am loving all that you are doing! Inspiring! I would not have known where to start to take down a big fireplace like that. I think it will be so much more "you" when it's all done.

• Related Discussions

Help me pick a color for my fireplace!

Q

Comments (16)
    I like it too - but, if you are hell bent on painting it - why not get some poster board, put a color on it and tape it up. Leave it up for a week or so and see if you really, really want to paint it. Your surround is very pretty - I like that it's a creamy color w/a glaze. That is a different look. If you do want it to be more elegant/blingy - why not think about putting up a different screen. Maybe a silver color or one that matches your pretty cocktail table. Something w/a mirrored look?
    ...See More

Which tile lot do we pick for fireplace surround?

Q

Comments (37)
    No, it's the one on the right. Different lighting and all that, I guess. I did not take the original photo of the samples. What we got did end up looking more like the very first sample I did see, in person. (Then we ordered, and the lots looked like the two in the photo in the first post.) So maybe the photo they took was a little washed out? Who knows.
    ...See More

MCM Fireplace -- Help me pick a mantel shelf

Q

Comments (13)
    Question re mahogany: you might want to make sure that the mahogany you use is sustainably sourced...it's gorgeous but it's a major rainforest wood and is being poached, as it were, destroying habitat left and right. You can look for something that is called "FSC certified" if you're in question about the source of the wood. OR you can look on a craigslist for someone selling downed lumber that's been milled locally. I love using that kind of wood. Make sure it's dried sufficiently as well. This might get into the range of *you* having to do the sourcing; there are plenty of aspects of our remodel where we know that a contractor would have stopped *long* before we would have been happy...the truly custom sometimes involves extra *extra* legwork on the owner's part. I look so forward to re-doing our mantel--it will be locally milled walnut, I hope. Have you checked craigslist? You can even start looking in "services" for arborists who might know people who have recently cut down a walnut tree. Then it would have local resonance too, rather than being just another product.
    ...See More

Help me pick a paint color to tie in the new withe the old

Q

Comments (1)
    I would stick to a whitelike the cabinets to avoid introducing another element to the space
    ...See More
  • wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago

SaraKat - Thanks so much for the kind words, support & encouragement! Very timely, as I had a case of angst yesterday worrying about all the changes and whether all will look good in the end. I'm a bit out of my comfort zone, as I prefer to take my time hunting and analyzing options. I don't have the luxury now, as the chain reaction of decisions is here. Flooring & paint color are on the list for this week.

Yes, I adore the cast surrounds! Here's another inspiration picture I love:

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/reaume-construction-and-design-traditional-bedroom-los-angeles-phvw-vp~203840)

[Traditional Bedroom design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2107) by Los Angeles General Contractor Reaume Construction & Design

I love the simplicity and uniqueness of this surround. I hope ours will bring about the same feeling of charm & warmth.

Thanks again for cheering me on! :)

Wags

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Oh wags I LOVE that one! Did it happen to mention the manufacturer? Nice doors and very pretty with the sconces.
    Hate the doors I have now, gold horizontal trim on top and bottome of the glass with gold tone and wood handles. Looks like your old one might have the same?
    Who is doing all your work; general contractor or subbing it out to someone for the woodwork, someone else for the fireplace, etc??

• wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago

island - Yes, love that surround! I found the photo on Houzz.com. It says the surround is Fireplace #640 from Materials Marketing. The doors were custom. Your current doors sure sound like our soon-to-be old ones!

We found a remodeling contractor who is on his own now; used to work for a large remodeling company in our town. He has another guy help him with trimwork and other tasks. Some friends recommended them; we've been pleased. They are very nice, professional, clean, experienced, and reasonably priced. They demo'd our exterior chimney, rebuilt the upper side of the house, removed all the family room bricks, installed the crown molding, removed the firebox, & tomorrow they are adding trim to our "columns" leading to the room, plus framing the firebox area for the new fireplace.

We are working directly with a fireplace store for the installation of the new fireplace & surround. We'll have the contractor meet with the fireplace installer to make sure all is good before they put the direct vent fireplace in.

Today I went flooring shopping...round 2. Feeling beat up, as I'm not "feeling the love" for any of the samples. I am not a carpet fan, and have been looking for something more "green" yet comfy. Brought home a lot of cork, but none seem to go with the decor. Round 3 tomorrow. I have come to the conclusion that remodeling is like a roller coaster ride. Today was a downer. Hoping tomorrow is a better day!

• wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yesterday our new Heat and Glo direct vent fireplace was installed. On Monday our contractor will hook up the gas line, put up the drywall, and level our hearth area. Then we will paint, install new flooring (may hold off on this as I'm really "stuck"), & then the surround will go up and the fireplace officially "fired up."

I had the fireplace guys bring out a piece from our new surround to better coordinate the wall & floor colors. So glad I did, as what I had been leaning toward won't work. The cast stone is more beige than I thought, and it seems to have a bit of a pink undertone. I was thinking about a khaki color. If anyone has any color or flooring advice, bring it on! Input appreciated!

• wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's part of the cast surround. That's a sample of cork we like next to it, but just not sure about flooring type.

Any wall color suggestions?

Thx!

Wags

• wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update: Drywall work completed. Painted most of family room (thanks to DH for painting on his birthday!). Had a heck of a time finding a color that didn't highlight the rosy/pink undertones in the cast surround. Finally went with SW Bittersweet Stem, a nice warm neutral that is khaki/beige and also a bit golden depending on the lighting.

This week the GC will do another round of leveling the hearth area. Then it'll be time to have the surround installed! Fingers crossed it will look good!!

We haven't selected new flooring yet. Thinking about cork or bamboo. I think we'll live with the new FP for a bit then decide (plus, I need a break from the remodeling!).

• wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago

New wall color - Sherwin Williams Bittersweet Stem.

• wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wall color with different lighting.

• mary_lu_gw
    11 years ago

Looking great! Will really make your room look so much lighter!

I had a thought about the height of the windows and hanging the drapes higher to give the impression of taller windows. What if you also hung the blinds you currently have up to the height of the drapery rod and dropped the blinds to just below the top of the window with the blinds slanted closed? Then when the drapes were open the window would still appear taller as you would not see the wall between the rod and window top? Just a thought...

• karilyna
    11 years ago

Like the grate in the Heat and Glo. Can you let us know which model and size you chose?

• wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We chose the 32 inch Heat and Glo 6000 CLX model; we liked the look of the LED embers, so opted for this one.

Tomorrow is the big day! The surround is being installed, the fireplace door/front installed, and the fireplace will be fired up. Fingers crossed it looks good!

• wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's in! After 2 months, it was time for the new fireplace & surround to be installed. We are so pleased with the results! We have to replace the flooring next, but here's what happened this week:
    Family room painted and ready for installers.

• wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hearth, facing & legs installed.

• wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mantel going up.

• wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Surround up! We really loved it at this point & questioned whether we needed the overmantel.

• wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We put our picture up & thought about it. Decided to go for the overmantel.

• wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago

With overmantel. We love it! It actually balances the room and works with the "challenging windows."

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Beautiful transformation!
    I do like the overmantel to balance the windows.

• wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Side view. I like that it is fairly flush with the wall. It feels so much more light & open versus having the floor-to-ceiling bricks and the large hearth.

• wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Our large picture doesn't work with the overmantel, but that's ok. I'll have fun swapping out items on the mantel every season! Just threw a few items up today; still playing around with what to put on the mantel.

Now we need to pick out new flooring (different hearth widths, so we have no choice). Thinking about cork or bamboo & adding a nice area rug.

That's it for now. It's been a busy two months with so many details to sort through, but I did enjoy our first remodel. I appreciate all the input and support from this forum. Thank you! After we finish the family room, it'll be time to tackle the kitchen...and I'll be back seeking more input! :)

Wags

• Lyban zone 4
    11 years ago

That looks really nice. I love the fireplace and agree with the overmantle.
    This time of year a few pumpkins and gourds would love lovely on the mantle.

• ice1
    11 years ago

Wow this is wonderful, would love to see the before and after together,

• wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago

francoise47 & lyban - Thx for your kind words! Yes, the overmantel does work. I was so worried it would overpower like the previous, but the proportion is so much better. Having space between the FP and windows is a huge improvement, too.

lyban - Yes, pumpkins & guords would look lovely. I may have to visit HomeGoods soon (yippee!). I'm pulling out Halloween decor for the kids today; will rummage around for something temporary.

icel - Wish I knew how to post photos together! Here's the previous fireplace; at least it will be easier to compare vs scrolling to the top of this very long thread!

• wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lyban - Found a few fall items, but still not right. Feel like I need more height. Will hunt tomorrow.

• wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Forgot to mention that we installed new crown molding in the room. I like how it makes the room feel cozier. We picked a thin molding (similar to living & dining room) so as not to compete with the trim on the overmantel.

We also added crown molding and "picture frame" trim detailing to the pillars flanking the step-down into the room. Really happy with how our "columns" turned out! I love seeing the new fireplace between the columns when I'm in our entry.

I am so happy!! Our dark, cold room is now warm, cozy, inviting, open & bright. Plus our new fireplace will save us energy and help heat the first floor. :)

• wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago

View of family room/fireplace from entry.

• ratherbesewing
    11 years ago

Wags: what kind of stone did you use on the surround and hearth. It all looks beautiful!

• wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ratherbesewing - Thx! The surround, facing & hearth are made of cast stone that has a limestone texture.

• tetrazzini
    11 years ago

It looks wonderful wags! What a difference! The columns look terrific with the trim, too. Just in time for the holidays too. Enjoy!

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

That looks amazing, I love the cast fireplaces. Great job. I was thinking that you could add false transoms over your windows and instead of glass put mirrors in the panes or even leaded glass or something.

• wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago

egganddart - Thanks! Yes, it is a huge difference! It feels like a different house...the whole aura of the room has changed. We are enjoying the room, and the view from the kitchen, so much more. Change is good. :)

gr8day - Thank you! What a creative idea re the fake transoms! My neighbor has a similar home, but they have the transoms flanking the fireplace. It looks nice. I was thinking about valences; now I think I'll live with the windows "as is" for a spell and ponder it. Love your idea!

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Wags, OMG you slayed the Giant!!!! Your new fireplace treatment is great as are your new moldings. Totally changed that room. Congrats! Please keep us posted on the flooring. Love it.

• wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago

island - Thanks so much! Yes, the nasty Giant has been permanently evicted from the premises. He is not missed in the least! :)

Hope you are making progress with your fireplace dilemma. What a difference a new surround makes! Good luck!

Wags

• oceanna
    11 years ago

Wags, your new fireplace surround is perfect. That surround should never go out of style -- it's a gorgeous classic. Well done!

"Wish I knew how to post photos together!"

I use tinypic.com. You don't have to have an account there as long as you post it and forget it (that's what I've used on the Gallery Threads for a long time). I select the size for message boards and it comes out just right. Once it gives me the results I just sweep/copy it into the post here. You can post as many as you like in a row. The best thing is they seem to keep them on file for years, as once posted they very rarely disappear. I don't have an account there, just didn't bother.

• wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oceanna - Thank you so much for the nice compliment and the posting tips! I will try tinypic.com.

• oceanna
    11 years ago

Wags, you're so welcome! Ask if you have any questions about it. And your fp surround is awesome. I wish my fp looked that good!

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

It looks great! What a huge improvement, and just in time for the chilly nights when a fire will be most welcome!

• wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oceanna - Thx again! We are so happy with the new surround and finally like our family room (after 12 yrs of dislike!). Next up is new flooring. The snowball keeps rolling!

tinan - Thank you! Yes, we can't wait for the chilly nights. Had to chuckle as today it was a beautiful, breezy, warm fall day, & we had the fireplace blasting for over 8 hours! The installers told us to run it that long the first time to burn off the factory "coatings." It didn't smell very good, so we were glad for the nice day & had all the windows open. The fireplace definitely works...and will be so much better than our drafty, energy inefficient one. Bring on the cold weather!

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Waggs. No new fireplace for me yet. Will take care of it when we redo our kitchen and downstairs bathroom and we just started to think about it, gather inspiration, etc.
    I'm looking forward to getting rid of the hideous fireplace doors we shared.
    Can you tell me more about yours and sorry if you already posted and I missed it. Did you replace the fireplace box itself? Doors come with it or seperate? What kind of doors are they?
    Is your fireplace wood burning or gas?
    Thanks.

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

Oh good idea on burning it hot during weather when you can have the windows open. We just replaced our furnace and had the same issue - HVAC guy said it might smoke and set of smoke detectors too! Well it did, and smelled awful. I don't know why they have to coat these things with noxious stuff! Anyway the smell did go away after a short while of blasting the heat, hope yours did too.

• wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago

island - I don't miss those fireplace doors at all! :) We'll try and sell them on Craigs List but wonder if anyone will want them. LOL.

Yes, we did replace the entire firebox. We purchased a Heat & Glo direct vent gas fireplace and had to pull out the old firebox and reframe for the direct vent unit. There are many styles of doors they offer, and the prices vary. We liked the fancy arched ones, but not for $999! We went with the Folio, clean face front which was no charge. Figured we would put the "savings" toward the flooring. We can always get a nice fireplace folding screen if we want. Check out the Heat & Glo website for more information. www.heatnglo.com. We went with the CLX 6000 model which comes with a remote, nice embers and log set, and a blower. Let me know if you have questions!

tinan - Yes, the smell was awful! I wondered the same thing about the noxious coatings. Ugh! At least the smell is gone now. Enjoy your new furnace!

• wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update - We absolutely love our new fireplace and surround! So glad we selected the Heat & Glo with the blower; we've used it quite a bit now that the weather is so cold here. Love having the remote to adjust the flame height, backlighting, and blower speed. We now use our family room a lot; no more draft, and we enjoy the look of the room so much more.
    We still need to replace the flooring; decided to wait until the new year for that project. Still thinking cork.

Here are a couple of photos showing our holiday mantel. I need to find something tall to go on the overmantel. For now, my dad's hand-carved Santas are just enough for Christmas cheer and fond memories of my dad.

Happy Holidays!
    Wags

• wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My dad's Santas enjoying the new mantel.

• flymom65
    11 years ago

Wags, can you share the paint color? Sorry if I missed it--I scanned the previous posts quickly!

What an amazing transformation! I love your new room!

• Lyban zone 4
    11 years ago

What a lovely FP. Those carved santas are gorgeous and what a wonderful memory of your dad.

• wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago

flymom - Thx you! The paint color is Sherwin Williams Bittersweet Stem. Love it.

lyban - Thx you for your compliments!

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

Fabulous!!! I have been following your project as I also had a fireplace that was challenging. My finished project isn't nearly as stunning as yours.

• wags848
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mustangs - Thx you! I'll bet yours is a nice improvement! Ours was such an unwelcome, light-sucking monster that anything would have been an improvement. :)