SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanelewis

Are wall murals still popular?

susanelewis
13 years ago

I have a couple wall murals in my home. The expensive one was painted by a professional artist and cost me a small fortune. I designed it and she painted an underwater mural in my main bathroom, including the ceiling. Even 10 years later, I feel it is beautiful. It was all in oils so it has stood up well. We have no intention of removing it or painting over it for years.

The second one is in a hall and I did that one myself. It was done with bridgeless stencils and you would never know that it wasn't freehand. It isn't on the same par as the professional one, but I have lots of compliments on it and now our new Solatube highlights it during the day.

However, there is another wall in my other hallway that I have always wanted to do the same thing. It would run along one wall back towards the half bath and laundry room and garage door. It would be painted to simulate stone with a stone niche with a small waterfall. It would match in style and colors with the one I painted in the other hallway on the opposite side of the house. You can see both of them if you stand in the adjoining hall (picture a "H" where the vertical lines are the hallways).

My quandary is whether I should spend the considerable time painting that wall. Judging by the reactions of guests, some people rave but many others simply give me the obligatory "Oh, that's nice" comment. I realize that wall art isn't everyone's thing, but just as faux painting has gone out of style, I'm wondering if residential murals are considered dated now.

Comments (26)