SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz

anybody here make their own 'behind the cooktop' mosaics?

I usually hang out on the home-building forum but this seems like a more appropriate forum for this question.

We'll be using tile flooring in our new kitchen with Silestone countertops. Haven't yet totally decided what I want to do about backsplashes but noticed when we were picking out floor tile that they sold a couple of coordinating 24" x 24" mosaic designs for use on either the floors or the wall.

The particular tile we chose - Esmer Paridiso - comes in three additional colors (all with the same texture) and it was evident that, for the mosaic, they had just cut small squares of all four colors of tiles and then arranged them in a design which appeared to be glued to a piece of webbing like the stuff that was used to make hook rugs back in the 70s when those were popular. (Yeah, I'm old enough to not only remember hook rugs but to have made more than a couple!) The four tile colors all coordinate with each other so one can use the mosaics with any of the four tiles.

I'm thinking that I'd like to have a mosaic design behind my cook-top but those 24" x 24" mosaics sold for like $275. And, while they looked nice, one of them certainly wouldn't be particularly UNIQUE.

It occurred to me that I could probably purchase a couple of tiles of each color for just a few bucks, cut them into small squares, and then design my own totally unique mosaic. Years ago DH and I laid the floor tile in our current house and I got pretty good with the tile cutter and tile nippers. And, I just happen to have some hook rug webbing still tucked away - which, believe it or not is still in good condition!

I was thinking I could work out my design on butcher paper then spread wax paper over it, place the webbing on top of that and hot glue the tile pieces to the webbing leaving gaps for the grout to come up around the tile pieces. Once I had the design finished, I would peal the wax paper away then probably cut the whole thing into approximate 8" x 8" pieces (so they aren't so heavy) when the tile guy goes to install them.

So, I'm wondering if anyone here has ever made their own wall mosaics and can advise me whether this plan will actually work and/or give me hints on a better way to do it.

Also, if anyone wants to share pictures of their wall mosaics - I would be happy to have some inspiration!

Comments (12)

Sponsored